Honda Odyssey Forum banner

'06 LX Sliding Door Stuck Closed - How to Actuate Rear Latch?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  triodecr1 
#1 ·
The passenger door on our 06 LX is stuck closed. I tried my damnedest to get the interior panel off without damaging it but it wouldn't budge. After cutting it off with an oscillating tool, I now have access to the inside of the door. Unfortunately the rear latch cable seems to be disconnected from the latch; the cable spins freely but will not pull out of the plastic sheath. I can't see far enough into the door to see where the cable goes and there seems to be a black plastic cover over at least part of the latch. I can't get my hand far enough back there to feel where the cable goes.

Does anyone know how to actuate the latch in this situation? My only other thought is to drill a hole through the inside sheet metal to try and see where the cable goes. Other ideas?

#4 ·
There has to be a way to get it open without destroying your door. I'd use mirrors and tools and figure out what needs to be pulled, pushed, moved, or whatever to open the door. I've never done it but would figure it out. If it's beyond your skills or capability I would highly recommend taking it to someone. You've already ruined a door panel. Time to cut your losses and not ruin the door too.

#6 ·
I was willing to ruin the door panel after spending hours trying every prying tool I own or could fashion trying to get the panel off. In the posts I read it sounded like people were breaking the panel anyway when getting it off.

I'm considering cutting and folding part of the inside door that is covered by the panel. Nothing that couldn't be welded back together. I was hoping someone here would have an answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.