I'm an Engineer and made an improved way to disable VCM.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm an Engineer and made an improved way to disable VCM.

I'm an Engineer and made an improved way to disable VCM.

I'm an inventor and Electrical/RF Engineer and longtime lurker here on the forums. I own a 2007 Odyssey Touring (DEPAXED) and have been a Honda gearhead since I was 16. I've owned a 91 civic Si since I was 16 (now age 38) and it has been babied and stored indoors with only 82k miles. I am a complete DIY guy - built my own home as GC, built a 40x60 garage including the foundation, installed an 8k solar system on my garage, do my own brakes and maintenance on my vehicles. I will always do something myself if I think I can do a better job.

I have specialized in developing outdoor wireless devices for rural broadband for the last 15 years. When my van started shuttering every time the eco light would come on, I was going to either sell it or fix it. I looked at ways of disabling VCM and they all seemed like they were missing something- primarily fine tune adjustment for the temperature gauge and not having to swap out a plug or resistor every time the seasons change, plus the legality of using an aftermarket product without certification. My wife drives the car every day, but she isn't going to reach down there and change a resistor plug, With my solution, she could use a screwdriver and tune it when necessary. It's visible if you want it to be in the engine compartment. Half to one notch clockwise when the ECO light comes on. Back to position 40 when winter comes around. That's it. It's also plug and play, so no splicing to deal with.

I didn't like the idea of having different fixed resistance value dongles for disabling VCM as the precision is also not terrific with the variances between factory ECT1/CTS sensors. The temp gauge could be some 20+ degrees off w/ a plug resistor solution like VCMUZZLER if a 100 ohm or 120 ohm was left in during winter. Plus, if one of my 5 kids happened to find an unused resistor plug in the car, they'd play with it and lose it somewhere - this is not a joke. So I've come up with a really nice pluggable tuning solution that works between 0-130+ Ohms, tunable in 1-2 ohm increments. This setup is compact and can be hidden away, also is tunable with a screwdriver for easy accessibility. Plus, the components are rated for -55 to 275F. I think all of you here are going to love it and i've already started working with a SEMA consultant to achieve CARB/EO compliance. More detail about this below. CARB/EO is an expensive process but is a must to mainstream the product with dealerships and consumers due to legal issues. I'm willing to make that financial investment, somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20k, and I think it will pay off as VCM is just too damned destructive to our vehicles that we paid dearly for. More and more owners of VCM vehicles are aware of the problem by the time the vehicle hits 50k miles. Anyone here is welcome to ask questions or PM me. The product will be shipping this wednesday, Feb 1, 2017 that supports 2007+ vehicles. I'll have support for 2005-2006 vehicles by March.

The website is about done but still needs some youtube installation videos posted. Maybe complete that this week.
    Below is a quick description from my at vcmtuner dot com

DISABLE VCM/ECO mode on your 2007+ HONDA Odyssey, Accord, Ridgeline, Pilot, Crosstour and Acura TL/RDX/MDX with 3.5L V6. Fine Tune VCM adjustments with a 10 position dial, which allows quick adjustments and accomodates all CTS sensors. VCM can be re-enabled by selecting position 1 on the box. Installs in minutes.

The Details
    Positions 40,50,60 are recommended for disabling VCM. 40 for winter, 50 for mild summer climates and 60 for those Northern California and Arizona summer scorchers. Dial allows tuning in 1-2 ohm increments. Contains everything you need to install in your vehicle. Includes velco wrap to secure wiring away from motor to prevent damage to factory wire harness. Harness and adjustment plug are rated for -55 F to 275 F. Wrapped in quality OEM style automotive plastic wire protector, 3M automotive electrical tape and Honda/Acura waterproof connectors, This is a quality product designed by an Electrical Engineer for durability and longevity.
    - 1 year parts and labor warranty on VCMTUNER
    - OEM Grade Reliability
    - Hand-made in USA.
    *** EPA/CARB Approval in Process. Will be 100% legal when complete. See legal disclaimer at bottom of page.
    Special Introductory price through 4/1/2017.
    Price: $79.95. Priority USPS 3 day delivery w/ S&H - $10.00
    This product is covered under US Patent App 62,444,812 A. "Methods and Systems for overriding automotive computer controlled variable cylinder management"
    Harness is hand-made in Chico, California USA.
    Legal
    : *** CARB Certification in process with SEMA for 50 state legal. Legally sold as a calibration device under CARB Section EO 203a (3) as it can fine-tune to bring replacement or aftermarket CTS sensors into proper calibration.. SEMA/CARB is still determining testing methodology to complete certification process when disengaging VCM. When CARB cert is complete, device can be left on vehicle during smog checks.
    VCMTUNER makes no warranties regarding modifications to your vehicle. This product can be utilized for calibration of sensors and diagnostic troubleshooting. Not for highway use until CARB EO or Exemption determination is issued.
    "BEASTMAN"
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring w/ vcmtuner
    1995 Honda Accord EX
    1991 Honda civic Si w/ 82k original miles
    1996 Chevy 1500
    40x60 Garage w/ DIY 8000 watt solar system
    1998 kubota 3710L

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Very cool - I had thought that this kind of thing should be made because it would allow the variability in the setup that Verbatim had originally designed. Fortunately, mine is working great so I'll just stick with it for now. Will you be putting these up on ebay too?
    - Chris

2011 Odyssey Touring
    2017 VW Touareg Wolfsburg Edition
    1995 VW Cabrio 5spd

Anyway to make one that I can set the temp and and forget about it. AutoVCMuzzler? Self correcting resistor using feed back loop? A self-controlled system?
    2005 EXL

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    Anyway to make one that I can set the temp and and forget about it. AutoVCMuzzler? Self correcting resistor using feed back loop? A self-controlled system?
    I am sure there is pappy. But I doubt it'd be $90ish shipped.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    I've thought about this too. However, what happens when the engine starts to overheat? The driver would never know it until the engine is smoking hot. It would have to monitor the raw temp from the ECT and notify you somehow that the raw ECT is getting above a threshold. It would take quite a bit of electronics to do that. Or, add a second ECT1 that will keep the temp low but another one for an add-on temp gauge. Still, though, you would risk getting a P0128 code when things split too far from what the PCM expects to see. Remember, it is also looking at ECT2 which doesn't show up on your gauge.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

New member here, just ordered one. Will report back with results.

^^^ I had a much longer post typed out, not sure what happened. Anyway, I ordered this for our new to us 07 EX-L. After driving it this weekend I noticed the clunking and jerking of the VSM immediately. Hoping this will fix it right up. I like the adjustability of this unit vs having to swap resistors.

Ordered what? VCMUZZLER II or what this OP is selling?
    Last edited by dvpatel; 01-30-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

I think he means he just picked up an 07 that has some VCM clunking and ordered this to hopefully resolve it.

@Loid, what you don't realize is that depending on the "clunking" you're getting you still probably have failed engine mounts. Those mounts will still need to be replaced even with this or the Muzzler installed. They are over $400 each and there are two of them. I recommend getting a VCM disabling device but you may still have other problems.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Loid, let us know your assessment of the security of the unit from contamination (e.g. oil, salt, etc.) entering through the rotating adjustment mechanism.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    Ordered what? VZMUZZLER II or what this OP is selling?
    OP's product.

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    I think he means he just picked up an 07 that has some VCM clunking and ordered this to hopefully resolve it.

@Loid, what you don't realize is that depending on the "clunking" you're getting you still probably have failed engine mounts. Those mounts will still need to be replaced even with this or the Muzzler installed. They are over $400 each and there are two of them. I recommend getting a VCM disabling device but you may still have other problems.
    The clunk isn't severe, maybe that wasn't the right word. I've replaced motor mounts before and I don't believe these to be shot but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Loid, let us know your assessment of the security of the unit from contamination (e.g. oil, salt, etc.) entering through the rotating adjustment mechanism.

Dave
    I certainly will. I've already been on the lookout for some sort of rubber cap for the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Loid View Post
    OP's product.
    How did you buy OP's product already? It was only posted last night. Do you know the OP?

I will look at incorporating something to cover the dial into the product. Appreciate the feedback here guys. I think the biggest risk to the dial over time is grease getting in the grooves of it to where the numbers and notches might become difficult to read. Use the included 6" of velcro in the kit to face the dial upwards should at least keep some road debris away from it over time. I'll see about posting a picture of how it's mounted in my 07 ody.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm an Engineer and made an improved way to disable VCM.-dial_installed.jpg  
    Last edited by vcmtuner; 01-30-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    "BEASTMAN"
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring w/ vcmtuner
    1995 Honda Accord EX
    1991 Honda civic Si w/ 82k original miles
    1996 Chevy 1500
    40x60 Garage w/ DIY 8000 watt solar system
    1998 kubota 3710L

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    How did you buy OP's product already? It was only posted last night. Do you know the OP?
    No I do not know him. He listed his website in his original post.

@vcmtuner
    Would changing the resistance on the hot engine activate the CEL ?
    2005 EXL

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast