Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode) - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)

The VCM is software controled, so if you reverse engineer the software in the computer, you could figure out how to disable the VCM feature.

BUT it would take quite a bit of work as Honda, as well as other auto mnufactures will not share there source code.

You could do it as I have seen tools avaiable to modify the software (also called firmware if it is in certern types of memory) perfomnance of most sporty cars, but not for mini-vans as the market for this tool may not have a market, but IIRC the Ody has the same motor as other Hondas and IF the computer is the same, the software modification tools may work on the ODY.

I have not expermented with this as it does cost quite a bit of money to purchase.

I did monkey with the software in my '86 Corvette, but that was long ago and when I had more disposable income.

If you do some research on modifying the software in your Ody, Please pass on any info you find to us!!!!!!!

I am interested in an acidemic way, as I dont think I would modify my Ody unelss it would gain more cost savings in fuel economy over the cost of the modification.....
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Door Stop Removal (SquidMod #1)
    Off Road use only Headlights (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The VCM transition is really not noticeable in ours.

I will take every extra MPG I can get
    2002 Mazda Miata (Supercharged). 2006 Acura MDX Touring, 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4, 2010 Volkswagen GTI (6 Speed Manual)
    -------------------------------------
    Fondly remembered: 2006 Odyssey Touring (Slate Green)

The more I read this thread the more I think my rear engine mount may need to be replaced..... I'll likely wait to address it at my first service, as I already have over 2000mi and 70% oil life.
    2007 Odyssey EXL-RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Gray Interior, delivered 2/16/2007
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Color Matched Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech ClearCover

2006 Odyssey Touring RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Black Interior, delivered 11/10/2005 (AND TRADED 2/16/2007)
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Mr Grille, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech Deflectors and ClearCover

2006 Civic Hybrid; Gas Saver Extraordinaire
    and a Self Propelled Honda mower to boot...
    Did you know Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the entire world?

2007 MB SLK280 - I defected away from Honda this time...

I would be interested to find what the long term benefits or should I say, lack of them, are for you VCM owners.
    2002 Honda Ody 194,000
    2nd Tranny
    Myron Davis 15" TFT LCD Flipdown
    Monroe Reflex Shocks/Struts
    1995 Chevy Tahoe - 155,000
    Original Tranny
    Custom Air Intake
    TBI Spacer
    MSD Ignition
    HID Lights
    Edelbrock shocks

The VCM is completely transparent, if you feel anything, its either the tranny shifting out of lockup or, as previously discussed, the VCM system is faulty.

Originally posted by mathproshs
    I would be interested to find what the long term benefits or should I say, lack of them, are for you VCM owners.
    As far as improved mileage, other makers are advertising just about the same without having the VCM technology. I believe the LX and EX offer almost the same mileage......

Since we had a buttery smooth VCM for a few thousand miles and now it feels like we're getting rear ended when it kicks in--I am really suspecting the rear engine mount. If this can be fixed, it'll be much better.
    05 EX-L/ Nav/Res Sagebrush Pearl/Ivory

If I recall other discussions about this point, vibration and the transition being noticeable would point towards a faulty rear motor mount, so I would have that checked if it is noticeable (the VCM transition).
    2002 Mazda Miata (Supercharged). 2006 Acura MDX Touring, 2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4, 2010 Volkswagen GTI (6 Speed Manual)
    -------------------------------------
    Fondly remembered: 2006 Odyssey Touring (Slate Green)

This leads me to question, is this a "faulty' rear motor mount, or is the rear motor mount prematurely failing? To me a faulty motor mount should be a one time fix, but if the rear mount failing then why is it failing at such a fast rate and will replacing it resolve the problem long-term?
    Last edited by vikingfan; 12-23-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Originally posted by vikingfan
    This leads me to question, is this a "faulty' motor rear motor mount, or is the rear motor mount prematurely failing? To me a faulty motor mount should be a one time fix, but if the rear mount failing then why is it failing at such a fast rate and will replacing it resolve the problem long-term?
    Good Question...
    2007 Odyssey EXL-RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Gray Interior, delivered 2/16/2007
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Color Matched Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech ClearCover

2006 Odyssey Touring RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Black Interior, delivered 11/10/2005 (AND TRADED 2/16/2007)
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Mr Grille, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech Deflectors and ClearCover

Originally posted by OdysseyFamily
    Good Question...
    As far as I know problems with the rear engine mount have been very few. Goldson is a service tech and the problem he is describing has been the only one he's seen. Around here I have seen more issues with the noise cancellation system, but again not that many. In the consumer reports survey the ody has had very few engine problems at all, on the other hand it has had very significant issues with electronic doodas such as doors radios and such. That is why it only garnered average reliability fo the first year. The ridgeline which is very similar mechanically to the ody fared fabulously but then the ridgeline doesn't have many of the electronic goodies the ody enjoys. I wouldn't worry about major mechanical problems with the 05 and much less the 06. Apparently (if the 05 is any indication) the previous transmission issues have been resolved too.

Originally posted by OdysseyFamily
    The more I read this thread the more I think my rear engine mount may need to be replaced..... I'll likely wait to address it at my first service, as I already have over 2000mi and 70% oil life.
    I have a pretty lengthy discussion here starting on August 25th. I went into pretty good detail about my active engine mount issue and what was done...Hopefully this will help others...

By the way, I have put on about 12K miles since then and the problem has not returned.
    '05 Ody EX-L R&N - Desert Rock - 265K+ Miles - Still running despite my negligence! Still running, but probably getting donated in the next month or so.

'06 Acura MDX Touring with Nav - 52K+ Miles

'06 Ody EX-L - Sagebrush - 90K Miles

'04 Saab 9-5 Arc Sedan - 118K+ Miles - GONE! Sad, but not unexpected when the '05 Ody is more reliable then the Saab with half the miles. I'm back with the familiar!

I've only noticed a quick "bump" in the drivetrain a couple of times since we bought ours and I believe its in the transmission, lockup converter, and has nothing to due with the VCM. I tend to hear things most people never do, I've been building engines for 25yrs. I've detected bad bearings and all sorts of problems long before most would notice them and aside from a rattling speaker in the left sliding door, ours is as it should be......with the VCM.
    Give Blood, Play Hockey
    05 Ody DEX-L Res Ocean Mist
    04 Titan SE CC 4x4 Brawn Red
    99 Suzuki LTF500F Quadrunner
    89 Honda PC800
    07 Fuji Newest 3.0 Road bike
    92 Honda 4518 Lawn Tractor and HR215 mower

Re: Re: Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)

Originally posted by oobbyb
    Downgrade to an LX?
    actually downgrade to BASE EX....
    2010 Mercury Mariner Prem 203A
    77 miles 06/10
    2010 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R
    4102 miles 06/10
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R 118,929 miles 06/10 2nd set PAX GONE
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring N+R
    09/29/06 in service Slate 37,510 miles 06/08 GONE LEASE TURN IN
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL SIL N+R
    gone 11/06 33,926
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX SS 59,920
    ---GONE-- 12/31/05
    2004 Honda Odyssey EX RES SAGEBRUSH 05/20/04 Gone ACCORDS 96,98,2000,2002

Van
    Originally posted by GoodSonOdy
    If you are feeling the VCM kick in then there may be a problem.
    I had a customer just last week that had a roaring vibration sound when the VCM kicked in.
    After 2 days of testing Honda had us replace the rear enging mount and the car was fixed.
    It made a 100% improvement.
    After this repair, vans with this problem will be easier for us to diag in the future from what we learned to check the rear engine mount.
    To check if it is bad or not; with the van up on a lift, reach up and feel the top of the mount. If the rubber part of the mount is hard then the mount is bad. If it is soft rubber then it's good.
    GoodSonOdy -

I'm perplexed that something like an engine mount could go bad so quickly since some of us have this problem since day 1. Do you know if this is a wrong-part problem like an EX engine mount (no VCM) part is installed on an EX-L with VCM?

Originally posted by Van
    GoodSonOdy -

I'm perplexed that something like an engine mount could go bad so quickly since some of us have this problem since day 1. Do you know if this is a wrong-part problem like an EX engine mount (no VCM) part is installed on an EX-L with VCM?
    This is a very good question. I have been thinking the same thing myself.....

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements