Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)

Disabling Cylinder Deactivation?

Hi everyone, first time poster here for this annoyance that's been plaguing me ever since the purchase of the vehicle. I'd like to disable the "Eco" mode that shuts down a bank of cylinders on the engine. My dealer refuses to do it, but seems to indicate it is possible. Searches here have turned up empty, so here I am.

*Edit* Eco mode removed from the title for accuracy. *Edit2* Looks like I can't fix the thread title shown in the forum.
    Last edited by cswake; 12-23-2005 at 12:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

WHY? It won't net you anymore power, only reduced gas mileage.
    Give Blood, Play Hockey
    05 Ody DEX-L Res Ocean Mist
    04 Titan SE CC 4x4 Brawn Red
    99 Suzuki LTF500F Quadrunner
    89 Honda PC800
    07 Fuji Newest 3.0 Road bike
    92 Honda 4518 Lawn Tractor and HR215 mower

Re: Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)

Originally posted by cswake
    Hi everyone, first time poster here for this annoyance that's been plaguing me ever since the purchase of the vehicle. I'd like to disable the "Eco" mode that shuts down a bank of cylinders on the engine. My dealer refuses to do it, but seems to indicate it is possible. Searches here have turned up empty, so here I am.
    The ECO light and the "shut down a bank of cylinders" are not related.
    The ECO light comes on when your van is running in the most fuel efficient way under the driving conditions at the time.
    The VCM kicks in when the engine can run efficiently on just 3 cyl.
    The ECO light should come on when the van is in VCM mode but the VCM does not always come on just because the ECO light is on.
    If the ECO light is what's bugging you then I guess you could remove the lamp.
    2005 Ody EX-L OCEAN MIST BLUE 02/11/05 GoodSonOdy.com
    2002 CR-V Ex 4WD BLUE 03/12/02
    1965 Wife 03/31/00

Though I'm not incline to disable the VCM I do find it a little annoying when I feel it kick in and out. This might be why 'cswake' wants to disconnect it.

On a related topic I also sometimes notice a jerky feeling around 55-60 mph and this was discussed on this forum a long time ago but I can't remember what was cuasing it. I mentioned it to my dealer once and he said it was common complaint with no solution and if I remember correctly he said it was due to the converter locking.

Originally posted by vikingfan
    Though I'm not incline to disable the VCM I do find it a little annoying when I feel it kick in and out. This might be why 'cswake' wants to disconnect it.

On a related topic I also sometimes notice a jerky feeling around 55-60 mph and this was discussed on this forum a long time ago but I can't remember what was cuasing it. I mentioned it to my dealer once and he said it was common complaint with no solution and if I remember correctly he said it was due to the converter locking.
    If you are feeling the VCM kick in then there may be a problem.
    I had a customer just last week that had a roaring vibration sound when the VCM kicked in.
    After 2 days of testing Honda had us replace the rear enging mount and the car was fixed.
    It made a 100% improvement.
    After this repair, vans with this problem will be easier for us to diag in the future from what we learned to check the rear engine mount.
    To check if it is bad or not; with the van up on a lift, reach up and feel the top of the mount. If the rubber part of the mount is hard then the mount is bad. If it is soft rubber then it's good.
    2005 Ody EX-L OCEAN MIST BLUE 02/11/05 GoodSonOdy.com
    2002 CR-V Ex 4WD BLUE 03/12/02
    1965 Wife 03/31/00

Re: Disabling Cylinder Deactivation? ("Eco" mode)

Originally posted by cswake
    Downgrade to an LX?

GoodSonOdy, thanks for the suggestion. The Ody is due for an oil change soon so I'll run this past the dealer and have them check the mounts. The switch from VCM and non-VCM isn't bad but it is slightly noticeable. What is more irritating is the converter locking at around 55-65 as this is the speed limit range of most of the freeways around here and the coverter (if that is what it is) tends lock and unlock.

Originally posted by GoodSonOdy
    I had a customer just last week that had a roaring vibration sound when the VCM kicked in.
    I am wondering if VCM is operational at cruising speeds as low as 35MPH? And if so, I would have what I would describe as a sound similar to upshifting too early (or downshifting too late), the engine seems to almost be chugging? It's been there since day one, it's not too obtrusive, but definitley there. I thought it was just a normal thing due to the VCM; are you telling me it should not be there?
    2007 Odyssey EXL-RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Gray Interior, delivered 2/16/2007
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Color Matched Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech ClearCover

2006 Odyssey Touring RES, Silver Pearl Exterior / Black Interior, delivered 11/10/2005 (AND TRADED 2/16/2007)
    - All Weather Mats, Cargo Tray, Splash Guards, Garmin 2610 Nav, Mr Grille, Perfect-Fit HoodGuard, WeatherTech Deflectors and ClearCover

2006 Civic Hybrid; Gas Saver Extraordinaire
    and a Self Propelled Honda mower to boot...
    Did you know Honda is the largest manufacturer of engines in the entire world?

2007 MB SLK280 - I defected away from Honda this time...

You guys are correct in assuming that I was talking about the VCM. I just linked it with the Eco light always being on...

Anyways, I want to disable it because:
    • I find the engine annoying when VCM is on
    • I can feel the VCM kick in
    Yes, I have taken it to two dealers and they have both told me the vehicle and all its parts are working as they should. I suppose I'm more sensitive than most of the population. Nevertheless, the decrease in gas mileage isn't a problem for me as long as I can get rid of the annoyance(s). Just on a side note, it really pisses me off that Honda won't disable it despite having the ability to - great customer service!

I would'nt disable it either. Mostly because I have no Idea what kind of can of worms I'm opening. Remember, as dealers we are responsible for the work we do. If we disable a system that was designed into the van and 5k later the customer is not happy or say it causes a lifter or something else to go bad, we as a dealership are liable. Do you think a judge in court is going to say "oh, the customer wanted it, ok." No, the judge is going to say we should have known better and hold us liable. Now you say your not the kind of soon of person to sue, but trust me. their are plenty of people that would. Sorry for the rant, but just wanted to explain the dealers point of view.

Eric

Eric, I appreciate your comment and understand that a business needs to operate with a degree of carefulness in our litigious society. At the very least they could have told me how to do it and say that any changes are my responsibility.

CSwake,

If it annoys you that much you should get out of the vehicle, perhaps get an LX as suggested. Since Odys hold value pretty well you should at least explore this option to attach a monetary impact to problem relief.

Note that the gear ratio of a VCM equipped Ody is different from the non-VCM. In other words, a VCM equipped Ody (with VCM off, 6-cyl mode) is less economical than a non-VCM version because in top gear a VCM equipped Ody turns a few more RPM's at equal speeds thus using more fuel. This is so the 3-cylinder (VCM on) Ody can maintain speed with reduced power. Also note that a non-VCM Ody will get slightly lower MPG holding steady speed than a VCM Ody running on 3-cylinders. This IS the intended design benefit of VCM, that you'll spend a significant amount of time holding steady or coasting, enabling VCM thus saving fuel (billed as 10 percent).

Again, none of this ties directly to the ECO light that simply means you're driving 'economically'. The ECO light 'overlaps' VCM in that you'll never have VCM on (3-cyl) and not have ECO lit too.

No dealer regardless of vehicle make or model will assist a customer in modifying or disabling an OEM feature. If you took a $90K Benz in do you think they'd help you pick out and/or install a performance enhancing chip? Think warranty and liability!

With 7K miles on our '06 Touring R&N I have never felt even a hiccup, fumble, or hesitation that would get me to the point you are now and I'm critical too. The engine is smooth and silky, pounces when asked. It is interesting to see what actually happens to instantaneous fuel economy via the MID under various conditions and driving styles. Good fuel economy is more like sailing than driving.

I have no doubt your vehicle is working fine and if you can afford to void the warranty do so at your own risk, who are we to tell you any different.

Let's suppose you get the technical answer you're looking for and disalbe VCM, not just unplug the ECO light. Sometime later you have an engine problem/failure during the warranty period. The dealer notices it and bills you for the entire job when it would have been covered if not disabled/modified/tinkered with. Simply putting it back to OEM config before heading to the dealer might not work as there are history and memory files in that little computer aboard, big brother knows better and could tell on you, LOL.

Not that you asked for buying advice, but folks should spend more time with a vehicle before purchase to notice problems that annoy them so there are no regrets later. I think this percieved VCM on/off hiccup is blown waaay out of proportion as I bet 90 percent of Ody owners never feel a thing or may notice but not gripe over a slight jump/surge under some conditions. I'm sure only a small percentage of them (like you) are annoyed as this supposed economy boosting feature kicks in, and was designed to enhance fuel economy not trade in frequency.

Are you secretly 'Toyota Undercover' here trying to convert Ody'thusiasts -- wink?

ECOn,

Happy Hondadays to you and yours!
    Last edited by Odypain; 12-22-2005 at 11:23 PM.
    2006 Ody Touring R&N born 9 Sep 05, Slate Green Metallic & Olive (putty), Bug'flect, Sunroof, door visor & 3rd row shades, crossbars, cargo & legs, flaps, edge, well trim, Hondacare 7/100/0, 72 cupholders and 1 aftermarket coinholder, #1 van out there IMHO, much better than that Korean hari-cari sounding other brand van that also starts with an H. True Honda Odyssey Connoisseur, What connoisseur are you?
    Love it!

Originally posted by Odypain
    CSwake,

Not that you asked for buying advice, but folks should spend more time with a vehicle before purchase to notice problems that annoy them so there are no regrets later. I think this percieved hiccup is blown waaay out of proportion as I bet 90 percent of Ody owners never feel a thing or may notice but not gripe over a slight jump/surge under some conditions. I'm sure only a small percentage of them (like you) are annoyed as this supposed economy boosting feature kicks in, and was designed to enhance fuel economy not trade in frequency.

ECOn,

Happy Hondadays to you and yours!
    Unless Honda let us take a 6k mile test drive then we would have known about the VCM hiccup. Darn them
    It is annoying, but since not everyone here is experiencing it, I'm hoping it's not the norm and could be fixed.
    05 EX-L/ Nav/Res Sagebrush Pearl/Ivory

Originally posted by Odypain
    CSwake,

If it annoys you that much you should get out of the vehicle, perhaps get an LX as suggested.

No dealer regardless of vehicle make or model will assist a customer in modifying or disabling an OEM feature. If you took a $90K Benz in do you think they'd help you pick out and/or install a performance enhancing chip? Think warranty and liability!

Let's suppose you get the technical answer you're looking for and disalbe VCM, not just unplug the ECO light. Sometime later you have an engine problem/failure during ...

big brother knows better and could tell on you, LOL.

Not that you asked for buying advice, but folks should spend more time with a vehicle before purchase to notice problems that annoy them so there are no regrets later. I think this percieved VCM on/off hiccup is blown waaay out of proportion as I bet 90 percent of Ody owners never feel a thing or may notice but not gripe over a slight jump/surge under some conditions. I'm sure only a small percentage of them (like you) are annoyed as this supposed economy boosting feature kicks in, and was designed to enhance fuel economy not trade in frequency.

Are you secretly 'Toyota Undercover' here trying to convert Ody'thusiasts -- wink?

ECOn,
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I'm not sure why you are getting defensive and in-turn criticizing me. I just simply want to turn off a feature on *MY* vehicle, not yours or anyone else's. I was hoping that a forum for exploring ways to improve Odyssey owner experience might have had individuals who were also annoyed with the VCM. Resorting to scare tactics and mockery is not the way!

With that said, the Odyssey is the best minivan on the market. I simply want to improve my experience with my vehicle. Does anyone have an idea on how to disable the VCM or could possibly point me in the right direction?

Originally posted by GoodSonOdy
    After 2 days of testing Honda had us replace the rear enging mount and the car was fixed.
    It made a 100% improvement.
    After this repair, vans with this problem will be easier for us to diag in the future from what we learned to check the rear engine mount.
    To check if it is bad or not; with the van up on a lift, reach up and feel the top of the mount. If the rubber part of the mount is hard then the mount is bad. If it is soft rubber then it's good.
    Had the same problem with mine. But I felt vibration and low frequency "moan" at idle, when accelerating from a start and low throttle cruising (regardless of speed). Once they changed the rear (active) engine mount, the problems have been gone.
    '05 Ody EX-L R&N - Desert Rock - 265K+ Miles - Still running despite my negligence! Still running, but probably getting donated in the next month or so.

'06 Acura MDX Touring with Nav - 52K+ Miles

'06 Ody EX-L - Sagebrush - 90K Miles

'04 Saab 9-5 Arc Sedan - 118K+ Miles - GONE! Sad, but not unexpected when the '05 Ody is more reliable then the Saab with half the miles. I'm back with the familiar!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements