Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How long are you planning on keeping your 3rd gen Odyssey?

4K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  bellssn690 
#1 ·
We're currently at 151k. I'd love a 4th gen (2011-2017) for the additional safety features, but at the same time, there's absolutely nothing wrong with our '07. The only things I do to maintain it are change the oil and swap on and off winter tires each year.

The goal is currently 300k miles unless we start running into repairs that come close to or equal the value of the vehicle. We also have a Sienna that's rock solid at ~130k, and are aiming for 300k there too.

How long are you planning on keeping your Ody?

#2 ·
I'm planning on keeping mine as long as possible. I've got 165K on my 08 Touring. The newer ones are nice but I just can't justify spending the money when I've kept mine near perfect condition, other than some normal wear and tear on the body (rock chips on the hood, scratches in interior panels from kids in and out, etc.) Also, I'm just not a fan of the lightning bolt.

I've talked to owners of gen 4 Odys who upgraded from the gen 3, and most say they liked their gen 3 better except that they were racking up miles and decided to upgrade.

#3 ·
Long time. We would have stayed with the 2nd gen but we bought it used and had many things to work on; if had bought it new, another story. We bought the 3rd gen used but in excellent condition and plan to keep it that way. No plans on changing it as it will remain running like new.

#5 ·
This 2007 Odyssey with 185K miles has been the family hauler since upgrading from a '97 Avalon when the kids were 8 and 10. Camping, vacations, and now moving kids back and forth from college keeps us in the van for another 4 or 5 years. Now that my wife is used to sitting up high, she won't want to go back to a sedan. She is not comfortable driving my daughter's TSX because it has limited visibility compared to the van. Perhaps a small SUV is in our distant future.

#6 · (Edited)
Just bought my 2008 last week with 214,000 miles on it. I'll likely keep it for 3 years it should have at least another 200,000 miles on it by then. A new account is really making me rack on the miles, last quarter i drove 20,000 miles. I guess it's possible to get it up to 500,000 miles by 2020.

Three years also goes for my wife's 2005, (edit but it won't much milage added to it) i bought a few months back, by then i should be able to find a real nice high milage 4th gen in my price range, at least i hope so.

#7 ·
Until the maintenance cost > the value. At which point, I'll upgrade to the 4th gen. This was what I did with the 2nd gen. It required suspension refresh, 2 wheel bearings and tune up with 250k miles. Sold it for $1100 (bought for $1300 with 210k miles) and get the 2005 with 123k miles for $3900.

#8 ·
I have an 09 ody EX-L with 136K. just replaced the left axle and generally have a $500 repair every 9 months or so. but I plan on keeping it for another 5 years as a car payment will be 500/month anyway. so even if I spend $1500 a year on repairs then I am still ahead.

#9 ·
Ours is fading fast. We needed to get rid of it this summer because we are in need of a wheelchair ramp van, but now I'm just praying it lasts that long. It's an '06 with 166k miles and it needs about $4700 (dealer quote) worth of work. Not including the $750 I just put into a new VTEC assembly and all the money I sunk into it last fall with AC compressor/alternator/tensioner/rear brake calipers. Seems like everything is wearing out at once (and yes, it was maintained).

#11 ·
Keeping my 2002 for a long time.

I like the higher driving position, simpler controls, and crisper handling compared with the current model.

I've over-maintained it since day one and now I'm reaping the benefit. It runs like new and is trouble-free.

Dave

#17 ·
Wife loves our 05 with 175k. The only thing that disappointed me is the rust above the right rear wheel.
Plan on owning it for as long as it makes sense. It does not owe me anything. All self maintained.

#24 · (Edited)
Ours is paid off and still in great shape for an 08 EXL RES model with 132k. We have small children and they love the van and the DVD. One thing I've learned is having small kids and a nice, new car don't go well together. When they are older and out of their destructive phase, we'll buy something newer.

To answer your question, we plan on keeping ours until it makes financial sense to part ways. Even if I have to spend $2k per year (for example) to keep it running, so much less than $500-$600/month new car payments. We're about to overhaul the front suspension and fix an AC leak. We just did the major timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, service last year. I anticipate this van lasting at least 200k miles.

#27 ·
Our 2010 EX-L w/ nav has about 165k on it. Pretty much every exterior panel has minor damage (rubbin's racing!) due to various encounters in parking lots and slightly-too-narrow alleys. The dings pretty much killed any sort of resale value on the car that might entice us to ditch it early. Just about everything is wearing out so its starting to cost us some real money just keeping it running, but its still cheaper than a new or even lightly used replacement. A local honda dealer says he moves every low mile used ody he gets before it even makes it through the car wash, so there aren't a lot of lightly used options for us here.

I should get a real nice pay raise in about 8 months and that might put us up financially where we can consider a new replacement, so I figure we'll keep it for at least another year or two.

Then again, the stock market is in record territory with the new president in office, so maybe I'll be able to sell some investments and replace it earlier than expected.

#28 ·
We sold our other 2007 Touring w/nav and missed it so much we had to find another one. Found a well-maintained 07 EX-L w/RES & Nav at 160K on the odometer and bought it. I'm going to install an AT oil cooler, do a 3X AT fluid change, change plugs, oil, brakes, and other maintenance items and see if we can keep it running for 10 more years. This is our 4th Ody (our daughter has one of them too - 04EX) and hopefully it will last. Also installing something to kill the VCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.