Bad PCV valve cause temporary seal damage?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad PCV valve cause temporary seal damage?

Bad PCV valve cause temporary seal damage?

First off, thank you to the site and members. Owner of an 07 Odyssey for two years so I've been lurking for awhile. It's time to do my TB and with what I've read I have the Aisen package and am ready to tackle it myself. I did an oil change myself two weeks back and then drove road trip 300 miles up into the mountains. I lost/burned 1/2 quart of oil. Looking underneath the engine, the leak is either my crank seal, or oil pan/oil pump. Since I will have the timing belt off, I will replace (hopefully) just the crank seal, if that is where the leak is coming from. Obviously I won't know until I get the timing cover off.
    Here is my question that I have not been able to find the answer to, either here or the rest of the internet. 1/2 quart of oil in 300 miles seemed excess especially since this is a new leak. Only 78k on the car. I am wondering if I have a bad PCV valve, or associated hoses, so since it is cheap, I'm I st gonna replace it. A bad PCV valve can cause the internal pressure of the engine to rise, causing leaks. Makes sense. But nowhere can I find if the leak is just temporary due to increased pressure, or once the seal starts leaking, the seal/gasket/ o ring is definitely shot and just needs replacing?
    Last edited by EE4Life; 02-10-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Corrected to PCV valve

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Do you mean PCV valve? I'd just replace it.

If you have an oil leak you will need to replace whatever is leaking. The oil filter housing is often a source of leaks so you might spray it all down with brake cleaner and then drive it for a bit and check again for leaks and see if you can determine where it's coming from. Oil always flows down and back so if you have any oil above the level of the front crank seal then the crank seal is probably not the issue. They are not a common source of leaks, although it's good to replace them as long as you're replacing with OEM or the Aisin kit. Don't put a cheap aftermarket seal in there in place of slightly old, but not yet leaking, OEM seal.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

FWIW, this is a common issue on VW Passats (my other vehicle). A clogged PCV system (more than just a valve) due to oil sludge buildup causes the internal engine oil pressure to rise to the point that it pushes oil past seals - most commonly the valve cover gasket. Even a brand new seal, if over-pressurized, will leak. Not sure if this situation is common for the Odyssey or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I let my first PCV valve on the Ody go 141K miles. Why? Good question...I couldn't tell you. It's out of sight and out of mind, I guess, and I just never thought about it until it dawned on me one day I'd never changed it it. When I pulled it out it was dirty and the check valve inside didn't rattle. However, even after that many miles it hadn't caused any problems other than the passages in the intake were a bit dirty, though, nothing that would cause any problem. Never an oil leak and never any increased crankcase pressure that caused any issue.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

FWIW, my Passat V6 engine has a complex PCV system of valves, vacuum hoses and breather hoses - costing nearly $400 in parts alone to replace. German engineering at its best!?
    I long for the day of a simple $10 PCV valve like was common in the 1960's and 70's.

Yeah, I have a later model Jetta with a 2.5 and to replace the PCV valve you have to replace the entire valve cover. Don't ever try the Dorman "kits" that replace the seals in it. They don't work.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by xpragmaticx View Post
    Only 78k on the car.
    That's low mileage for sure! However, oil seals harden and leak as much by time as miles. So after 10 years, an oil seal could be leaking.

If the culprit turns out to be easily replaceable, go ahead. If not, consider adding a seal conditioner to the oil. IIRC, one example that has given good results is ATP AT-205.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

I use the Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic in mine. I think the only real difference in the High Mileage oil is seal conditioners.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Thank you for the replies. Yeah I don't think the leak is by the oil filter housing, which if course would be the easiest fix. I did buy an oem crank seal and will probably just replace it while I'm in there. It is Arizona and gets hot and very dry. I guess my question is, will a seal be permanently damaged due to high pressure? Will the leak slow if the pcv is changed (and is the cause of the leak)? It arrives on Monday.

Also I put in some dye and have driven it a few times. Gonna get under there today and shine a blacklight. I'll post some pics.

Funny that this thread came up. I started to smell oil burning last two weeks or so. I tried ATF brand sealer but still some smell of one week of use. Then I replaced the the PCV valve two days ago and didn't noticed any smell of burned oil. The old PCV valve o-rings were gone. Bought it off Amazon about 20dollars. Maybe a clogged PCV valve caused the slow leaks 195k
    2005 EXL

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread