Engine Misfire Codes
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Misfire Codes

Engine Misfire Codes

Hey all,

I've got engine misfire codes on my '05 Odyssey and wanted to get some advice on where to start. The codes are P0301, P0303, and P0304.

Couple of notes:

Tune up was done last year. When we first bought the van (9/15), it had random misfire codes. It had actually just had a tune-up, but I didn't know that at the time, so we went ahead and had another one done. So, it could be related to the dreaded VCM issue, but for what it's worth, as mentioned, the plugs are new (and iridium).

PCV valve was replaced in the last few months.

A few months ago, same time frame as the replacement of the PCV valve, I had misfire codes. Turned out to be the PCV valve (I had cleaned off the old PCV valve, and its o-ring was just shot, totally worthless, so after putting it back it started misfiring, hence the new PCV valve). Anyway, in addition to the PCV valve replacement, I checked the coil packs at that time and all were fine.

Hopefully the information above eliminates a few steps I should try.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Plug torque proper?
    Valve adjustment good?

Had a shop do the plugs, and it's been a year without an issue directly due to them -- could torque be a factor with that in mind? I can check. Should I check the plugs (at least the ones misfiring) for signs of fouling? Or, since 3 are misfiring, is that pretty much eliminated as a possibility?

Haven't checked the valve adjustment, but it had the timing belt service at 114K, it's at 124K now. I would think they'd check for the adjustment at the same time, but I can check again. Is it a very involved task or pretty easy to find out?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FlorOdy View Post
    Had a shop do the plugs, and it's been a year without an issue directly due to them -- could torque be a factor with that in mind? I can check. Should I check the plugs (at least the ones misfiring) for signs of fouling? Or, since 3 are misfiring, is that pretty much eliminated as a possibility?
    If it's been a year then this probably isn't it as it would have thrown a misfire sooner.
    Torque is a factor when installing though because if too loose it'll drop effective compression in the cylinder.
    Since there is 3 missing, i'd check just to make sure but its a pretty good guess that the plugs are NOT it

Quote Originally Posted by FlorOdy View Post

Haven't checked the valve adjustment, but it had the timing belt service at 114K, it's at 124K now. I would think they'd check for the adjustment at the same time, but I can check again. Is it a very involved task or pretty easy to find out?
    Timing service is different from the valve adjustment service.
    It's pretty involved

If it were me I'd pull all plugs and take a look at them. That's the first place to start. If they are fouled then you're going to want to figure out why (VCM possibly.) If not, then you're going to want to look for other problems. If you're sure the coils are working then you're going to want to take a look at some live scan data. What do the fuel trims look like? If all looks well there I'd probably check compression, fuel pressure, and injectors. Injectors can be more difficult to check so I usually start with the easy stuff and rule that out before going on to more complicated things.

At your mileage I wouldn't suspect a valve adjustment issue but a compression test and/or leakdown test would help with that assessment.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

I assume you are aware of the extended warranty (or was it a recall?) for this exact misfire issue? I forget which years are covered. It is directly related to the VCM. Look into it, as Honda may fix it for free.

I don't think the extended warranty covered the 05-06 models with VCM1. Even if it did, it was only 8 years/unlimited mileage. Unfortunately, it won't apply in this case.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

John is correct. It is Honda extended warranty campaign 13-080. It only applied to 2008-2010 Odysseys with VCM.

I was having this issue. I changed the plugs and was good for about 10,000 miles. The issue return stating plug 2 was misfiring. I took it out and it was pretty fouled for 10,000 miles. I went ahead and replaced the plug and added the VCM buster or Muzzler, I can't remember the name. I have put about another 10-12 and no return of the codes and I checked the plug in # 2 and it looks like I would expect. I have a 2010 LX with 105,000 and some change on it.

2010 LX does not have a VCM engine . Are you sure?
    2005 EXL

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    2010 LX does not have a VCM engine . Are you sure?
    I dont remember what year, but Honda introduced VCM to the entire line up as a standard feature.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

2011-2017
    VCM2 engines all trims
    Best 3rd gen would be 2010 LX, EX last of the pre-VCM engine production.
    2005 EXL

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    2011-2017
    VCM2 engines all trims
    Best 3rd gen would be 2010 LX, EX last of the pre-VCM engine production.
    really, that would mean, lol, placebo effect, hahahaha
    The coolant sensor is still there, but with no VCM muzzler has no purpose.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

Engine Misfire Codes-img_1714.jpgEngine Misfire Codes-img_1713.jpgEngine Misfire Codes-img_1715.jpgHey all, here are the plugs from cylinder 1 and 4 (top and bottom left cylinders, just to be sure I'm numbering them right). I've got two opinions, one that they're bad, and another that they theyre good. Thoughts? Should I reuse them or go for new? Only have about 8K miles on them.
    Last edited by FlorOdy; 02-19-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Those plugs look pretty good to me. Yes, you're correct on the cylinder numbering. It's 1-2-3 across the back from passenger side to driver's side. Then 4-5-6 on the front in the same direction.

One tip, make sure to post your trim level along with the year. There's a big difference in engines between the trim levels. I found an earlier post from you where you said you have an EX-L but it helps to put it in your signature, your profile, and/or the thread itself to avoid confusion.

I'd pull the plugs from cylinders 2 & 3 and see what those look like. The misfire codes aren't always 100% accurate as to which cylinder is misfiring. When the engine is idling can you feel or hear it misfiring?
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast