Gen3 Odyssey on Ranger QuickJack BL-5000SLX
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gen3 Odyssey on Ranger QuickJack BL-5000SLX

Gen3 Odyssey on Ranger QuickJack BL-5000SLX

I've been looking for an easier way to lift the four cars that I maintain in our family and got interested in the Ranger QuickJack. The Odyssey is about 4,600 lbs and their 5,000 lb model is the right size.

There were two concerns with this lift. The first was the strength and safety of what looks in the photos to be a pretty light weight frame structure. The second was the fact that the QuickJack can reach about 58" max between lift points and Odyssey lift points are 66" apart.

The first concern was alleviated when I watched a recent youtube video that the company made where they set out to see how much weight they could load on the 5,000 lb model before it failed. They started out lifting 5,300 lbs, and then kept adding steel plates. They stopped when they ran out of steel plates, at which time the QuickJack was loaded with 19,100 lbs and still holding. Holy cow - that's almost 4x the rated load and it didn't fail. No more concern about how strong this jack is.

For the second issue I examined the pinch seam that runs along the bottom of the car. The lift points have a little fold-over in the seam to give you a bearing surface, but between them the pinch weld seam runs the length of the car, although it is just barely covered by the plastic side piece. The plastic sits right up against the seam, and it didn't appear that the rubber block would do any damage during a lift, so I ordered the lift. $1,340 delivered direct from the manufacturer (CA) with no tax for Florida. Delivery was free in less than a week.

Wow - this is a nicely engineered lift. It's very beefy - the lifting frames weigh over 70 lbs each, but they have wheels on the end to help roll them in place. Tonight was the first lift test and I lifted the Odyssey. It was a success on all accounts. The front block was under the front lift point directly, and the rear about 10" in from the rear lift point. The rubber lifting blocks formed nicely around the plastic covered seam and not a bit of damage was done. The car was very stable and was about 20" off the ground with a clear floor underneath - nice!

Needless to say it's a keeper! I can recommend it based on my experience with my Gen3 Odyssey. Picture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gen3 Odyssey on Ranger QuickJack BL-5000SLX-odyssey_on_quickjack.jpg  
    2006 Odyssey EX-L RES
    2008 Toyota Rav4 4WD
    2011 Accord EX-L
    2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I've looked at those before. I have running boards on my Ody so not sure how that would work out. Aside from that my main concern was lateral stability. Is it possible to push the car sideways and have it wobble or possibly knock it over?

The other concern I had was that it moves the car backward when you raise it up. If you have a tight garage you might not have room at the back of the van. How far backward does it move when lifted?
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

That looks nice. I have the same space limitation, can't have the car go backwards when lifting. It needs to go straight up.

There were a few posts of lifts here before in a thread. There were two posts that bolt on to the floor. When done can be removed and rolled out of the way. That was about the same price.

It will be a breeze for you to get lots of work done faster.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The short, portable, two post lifts are the MaxJax. I'd really like to have a set of those. A set came up on Craigslist in my area for around $1700 but I just couldn't spend the money.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    The short, portable, two post lifts are the MaxJax. I'd really like to have a set of those. A set came up on Craigslist in my area for around $1700 but I just couldn't spend the money.
    Costco will occasionally have a 2 post hydraulic lift for sale on their web site. It's "moveable", because it's held down with lag bolts that you drive into the concrete floor. I seem to remember they see it for around $1,600.

Quote Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
    Costco will occasionally have a 2 post hydraulic lift for sale on their web site. It's "moveable", because it's held down with lag bolts that you drive into the concrete floor. I seem to remember they see it for around $1,600.
    Yes, that is MaxJax lift. I have it and its awesome. I have had anything from a VW golf to MB r350 (behemoth) on it.
    It has worked so well that I don't even unbolt it any more.
    I can definitely recommend it, but my install was not simple or easy. It does require concrete anchors, which require you to have
    a good concrete pad. I had to cut out and pour new concrete under the columns. But once you have it running, its awesome.

Here is one of the Odyssey's I work on, on the lift.
    Gen3 Odyssey on Ranger QuickJack BL-5000SLX-ody-lift.jpg
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

Thats not a good deal at all. A new one will cost slightly more than that and come with warranty. Give it time, if you start to pick up business, then this thing will pay off for itself in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrickey View Post
    I've been looking for an easier way to lift the four cars that I maintain in our family and got interested in the Ranger QuickJack. The Odyssey is about 4,600 lbs and their 5,000 lb model is the right size.

There were two concerns with this lift. The first was the strength and safety of what looks in the photos to be a pretty light weight frame structure. The second was the fact that the QuickJack can reach about 58" max between lift points and Odyssey lift points are 66" apart.

The first concern was alleviated when I watched a recent youtube video that the company made where they set out to see how much weight they could load on the 5,000 lb model before it failed. They started out lifting 5,300 lbs, and then kept adding steel plates. They stopped when they ran out of steel plates, at which time the QuickJack was loaded with 19,100 lbs and still holding. Holy cow - that's almost 4x the rated load and it didn't fail. No more concern about how strong this jack is.

For the second issue I examined the pinch seam that runs along the bottom of the car. The lift points have a little fold-over in the seam to give you a bearing surface, but between them the pinch weld seam runs the length of the car, although it is just barely covered by the plastic side piece. The plastic sits right up against the seam, and it didn't appear that the rubber block would do any damage during a lift, so I ordered the lift. $1,340 delivered direct from the manufacturer (CA) with no tax for Florida. Delivery was free in less than a week.

Wow - this is a nicely engineered lift. It's very beefy - the lifting frames weigh over 70 lbs each, but they have wheels on the end to help roll them in place. Tonight was the first lift test and I lifted the Odyssey. It was a success on all accounts. The front block was under the front lift point directly, and the rear about 10" in from the rear lift point. The rubber lifting blocks formed nicely around the plastic covered seam and not a bit of damage was done. The car was very stable and was about 20" off the ground with a clear floor underneath - nice!

Needless to say it's a keeper! I can recommend it based on my experience with my Gen3 Odyssey. Picture below.
    That is a great lift option to have. It does have limitations, but also a bunch of great aspects.
    Like portability for example, you could throw it anywhere, even asphalt driveway.
    The amount of lift is a limited factor too, but it gives you clear access to entire underside without blocking anything.
    These lifts are overbuilt with a big safety factor, so I would not be concerned about vehicle shifting or dropping. There are built in safety catches.
    It works great for basic vehicle maintenance, oil changes, tire rotations, brake jobs and suspension work.

Funny part is that full size lifts are surprisingly not too expensive, the biggest limiting factor is the size of the garage they go into

Quote Originally Posted by maxud View Post
    ...Funny part is that full size lifts are surprisingly not too expensive, the biggest limiting factor is the size of the garage they go into
    And the psi rating and thickness of the concrete being bolted to.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

And the psi rating and thickness of the concrete being bolted to.
    John,
    I had 2.5-3.5" of crappy concrete in my garage (house built in 1969 in CT), which I only found out after the fact, during my drilling attempt.
    Not a problem. I rented a concrete cutting saw from home depot, cut out two pads, dug 12", put in rebar,
    got a delivery of concrete and had it poured into my two prepared holes.
    All in all, it was $500-600 and a lot of sweat.
    However, my point is, you can absolutely overcome this challenge, given other factors are manageable.
    Raising the garage roof or rebuilding entire garage to accommodate a full size lift is neither simple nor cheap.

I have also raised the garage door tracks and swapped out overhead GDO for a jackshaft unit, allowing maximum possible lift
    by the MaxJax.

I have learned a ton through my trials and errors. Simultaneously, makers of MaxJax also improved the design.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was impossible. Just gets more complicated if you find out your concrete isn't up to spec. I have a nice tall ceiling in my garage and would love to have a set of MaxJax.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

John,

I did give the car several pretty hard shoves sideways and it didn't budge - the system is very stable laterally. I couldn't find the exact fore/aft shift, but I recall reading it moves about 10" during the lift. You can control whether the car moves forward or backward by just swapping the frames to the other sides. So you pull the car in most of the way, lift it up, and then close the door. Just don't forget to open the garage door before you lower it - DOH!

I was seriously considering the MaxJax, but today's cost is $2,000 for a new set. For what I do the extra height doesn't provide that much extra value. I read once where a guy dropped his transmission using a QuickJack, but he had to lower it all the way to the floor to slide it out.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L RES
    2008 Toyota Rav4 4WD
    2011 Accord EX-L
    2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Either of these makes excellent choice for a regular home garage and portability. Really want one.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

Quote Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
    Either of these makes excellent choice for a regular home garage and portability. Really want one.
    ^^This.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Not affiliated, but funny enough received email from Pelican parts last night with QuickJack sales
    QuickJack Lifts - PelicanParts.com

There is actually a 7000lbs model, and even though inherently I understand that these things are overbuilt, I would not recommend overloading, ie
    if you car has dry weight over 5000, get the 7000 version.

MaxJax is rated for 6000lbs.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread