Oil leak help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil leak help

Oil leak help

We have a 2008 Touring with 109K miles. It had the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, etc all changed just about a year ago. Last month, the spool valve was leaking and alternator went. When they changed the front spool valve, they said the rear was fine. We now have another leak that started a few weeks after the spool valve and alternator job. There's a thin layer of oil on the entire pan, few of the pan's bolts have oil too. I cleaned everything and then tried to see where it is coming from. At first I was thinking the crank sensor was leaking through the center and going up the rubber wire housing and out. but I also see oil all the way by the belts. It could travel along the top of the pan line too. I cannot see any oil from above, all below. I did an oil change a few weeks before the spool/alternator job, could I have screwed up and put in too much oil causing the van's demise? It does not seem to be leaking a ton, but enough to stress you out. I might try the spray powder method I saw to help identify the leak. I did the UV die, but it really seems to not give a clear cause, just die everywhere.

The photo is where the crank sensor it without its shield on. The circled part seems to get the most oil pooling. The sensor is the part with the rubber hose coming off it.

Any clues or advice? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil leak help-oil.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by visegrip72 View Post
    I did an oil change a few weeks before the spool/alternator job, could I have screwed up and put in too much oil causing the van's demise?
    At least in my older version engine, Honda designed it so that it can be somewhat overfilled with no adverse effect. (A shop once overfilled it by a quart. Even so, there was no sign of aeration i.e. contact with the spinning crankshaft.)

In any case, if the engine were overfilled to the point of oil aeration creating crankcase pressure and leaking, you would probably get an engine oil pressure warning light. The oil pump doesn't work that well pumping air.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Are you positive it's not the rear valve cover leaking?
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First, take your mind off your oil drip by taking a visegrip and clamping it down on your index finger.

Second, is the oil puddling on the ground? Are using more oil than normal?

If you want oil leaks and drips, you should see my German cars.

Finally, a drip is just a drip, until it starts getting into something important. Until then, concentrate on the pain from the visegrip.

Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    First, take your mind off your oil drip by taking a visegrip and clamping it down on your index finger.

Second, is the oil puddling on the ground? Are using more oil than normal?

If you want oil leaks and drips, you should see my German cars.

Finally, a drip is just a drip, until it starts getting into something important. Until then, concentrate on the pain from the visegrip.
    thanks for that, needed a laugh. visegrip, he was asking for it :-)
    German cars, nuf said.

OP, look in the area of rear valve cover and valving on the right of the rear head, as you face the engine it would be on the right side of rear head.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    In any case, if the engine were overfilled to the point of oil aeration creating crankcase pressure and leaking, you would probably get an engine oil pressure warning light. The oil pump doesn't work that well pumping air.
    Thanks, that puts the guilt out of mind
    Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    Are you positive it's not the rear valve cover leaking?
    Not really. We looked all we could. I'll reach back there and feel around. Maybe they didn't do the job right in last year and it is finally showing months later? They changed both the gaskets and the actual covers.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
    Finally, a drip is just a drip, until it starts getting into something important.
    That is what I think the current plan should be. I'll have my friend Matt fix it for now. You know, the guy with no arms, no legs and sits by the door? (old joke about a doormat for all who don't get it). I may try some of the ATP AT-205 I read a bunch on the board about. But overall, not gonna go crazy.

Thank you all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by visegrip72 View Post
    Not really. We looked all we could. I'll reach back there and feel around. Maybe they didn't do the job right in last year and it is finally showing months later? They changed both the gaskets and the actual covers.
    Thank you all for the help.
    get a mirror, either automotive on a magnet, or just regular variety. Finding leaks is a hard job.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

We did do the mirror method and saw nothing. We were hunting putting the mirror in every which way and nothing. I was going to go by touch later and feel if any spot is really oily, clean it off and check again later.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread