Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????

Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????

I have read quite a bit regarding replacing the front crank seal. Just recently in a write up from gbrickey (on TB replacement), did I hear that you need to reset the crank position sensor (CKP) and have the system relearn the timing? Is this really necessary? The crank sprocket (as long as the crankshaft has not been moved) will go back in the same exact spot, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I am just about to do the same repair. In the Honda service manual, I don't see mention of this:

Pulley End Crankshaft Oil SealInstallation - In Car
    Special Tools Required
    Oil seal driver, 64 mm 070AD-RCAA100

1. Remove the timing belt, the timing belt stopper,and the timing belt drive pulley:
    • J35A6 engine (see page 6-25)
    • '07 model J35A7 engine (see page 6-86)
    • '08-09 models J35A7 engine (see page 6-152)

2. Remove the pulley end crankshaft oil seal
    3. Clean and dry the crankshaft oil seal housing.
    4. Apply a light coat of new engine oil around thecrankshaft oil seal.
    5. Apply a light coat of new engine oil to the lip of thecrankshaft oil seal.
    6. Using the oil seal driver, drive in the crankshaft oilseal until the oil seal driver bottoms against the oilpump. When the seal is in place, clean any excessgrease off the crankshaft, and check that the oil seallip is not distorted.
    7. Install the timing belt drive pulley, the timing beltstopper, and the timing belt:

I think it may depend on the year of the vehicle. Some have the crank sensor on the front, near the sprocket. The newer ones have the crank sensor on the rear of the engine.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

John, I think you may be right. The write up I have is for an 06 and the service manual frogbite is referencing is for 07-09. So probably on 2005 and 2006 you have too. Thanks guys.

Does anyone want to play guess where my leak is coming from? I do have a power steering fluid leak that is leaking at the pump.Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-img_20170217_133418.jpgFront crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-img_20170217_133506.jpgFront crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-img_20170217_135243.jpgFront crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-img_20170217_135401.jpg That might be the fluid under the motor mount and on adjacent timing cover. But my oil leak, yowsa. I put in the fluorescent dye but doesn't seem to fluoresce anywhere. Oil pan gasket the culprit? That's my hope. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xpragmaticx View Post
    John, I think you may be right. The write up I have is for an 06 and the service manual frogbite is referencing is for 07-09. So probably on 2005 and 2006 you have too. Thanks guys.
    05-10 Models are a no, you can disconnect battery. When job done, reconnect and start up the van. let idle for 10 min

Quote Originally Posted by TSM_Pikachu View Post
    05-10 Models are a no, you can disconnect battery. When job done, reconnect and start up the van. let idle for 10 min
    I disagree on the 05-10 advice. According to the 05-06 factory service manual, anytime you remove the CKP sensor the instructions are to do the CKP clear and relearn procedure. I can't speak for the 07-10 model years.

From the procedure above for the 07 engine, it doesn't mention removing the CKP sensor so I think John is right - the sensor is behind the pulley so you won't have to do the clear / relearn procedure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-screenshot221.jpg  
    Last edited by gbrickey; 02-18-2017 at 12:26 AM.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L RES
    2008 Toyota Rav4 4WD
    2011 Accord EX-L
    2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Just checked my manual. On the J35A6 engine and the 07 J35A7 the sensor is at the front crank pulley. On the 08 and up J35A7 engines the crank sensor is actually on the back of the engine block near the transmission. It's in a totally different place.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by gbrickey View Post
    I disagree on the 05-10 advice. According to the 05-06 factory service manual, anytime you remove the CKP sensor the instructions are to do the CKP clear and relearn procedure. I can't speak for the 07-10 model years.

From the procedure above for the 07 engine, it doesn't mention removing the CKP sensor so I think John is right - the sensor is behind the pulley so you won't have to do the clear / relearn procedure.
    Interesting haha, I've never once done that and the vans all run fine. I've even swapped them out with new ones or used (good condition) ones and it was just a simple crank and fire. LOL
    (Must be called luck lol)

You are right, on my 07 the crank sensor is right at the crank sprocket/gear. Maybe I will just put it back like you did! Although hopefully the leak is not the crank seal. In above pictures, I have oil all over. I have since cleaned it well. But if oil got under the timing cover I could have oil all over I there. How can I identify where my leak is coming from at that point?

John Clark has a neat scan tool, the Foxwell NT510 with the Honda SW that he reports can do many bi-directional maintenance functions. It's pretty reasonable - about $180 on Amazon. If you buy one make sure you pick the one with the Honda SW loaded.

There's a good chance the NT510 can do the CKP Clear and relearn. I think you just need the tool just to clear the current settings in memory, and the relearn procedure is a specific driving sequence. From the service manual I got the impression the CKP and Idle settings are cleared together, and then you relearn both.
    2006 Odyssey EX-L RES
    2008 Toyota Rav4 4WD
    2011 Accord EX-L
    2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

Below is the page from the manual about it. They have a procedure for the CKP learn procedure without the HDS (scan tool) but it doesn't mention the clear procedure. The procedure with the HDS is a clear/relearn procedure. So, I'm not certain you can do the learn procedure (without HDS) without doing a clear procedure first. It seems a bit counterintuitive to write a learn procedure for use without the HDS if it requires the HDS to clear it first. If you were going to clear with the HDS why not just relearn with the HDS? Regardless, here's what it says:

Front crank seal replacement - really need to reset CKP sensor??????-screenshot-2017-02-18-11.25.37.jpg

As for the Foxwell NT510 it's a great tool and I highly recommend it. You need to buy one either with no software loaded (it comes with one free OEM download) or with Honda preloaded. You can purchase additional makes for $60 each, up to 5, but not all manufacturers are supported. It supports regular global OBDII on all vehicles. Think of it as an OBDII scan tool for any vehicle plus OEM add-on for reading Body, SRS, ABS, Trans, etc. for whatever vehicle make you purchase it for--Honda in this case.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

John - Do you know if the NT510 can clear the CKP settings?
    2006 Odyssey EX-L RES
    2008 Toyota Rav4 4WD
    2011 Accord EX-L
    2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport

99.99% sure it does all that. It did the TP data clear I needed done to relearn the idle after cleaning my throttle body. I haven't found anything in my Autel DS708 in the Honda menu that's not in my NT510.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread