Upgraded speakers won't work in 2005 EX-L
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgraded speakers won't work in 2005 EX-L

Upgraded speakers won't work in 2005 EX-L

I have a 2005 EX-L. I ordered new JBL GT7-5 speakers to try to get a bit more sound out of the stock stereo. Got these from Crutchfield and used a Metra wiring harness they supplied. My problem is the new speakers sound horrible. Like they don't have enough power. They're at least half as quite as the stock speakers. I returned them and got a pair of Kickers and they did the same thing.

Does the stock head not have enough power for aftermarket speakers? Think it could be the wiring harness?

In reading though the various threads I can't find anyone else who's had this problem. Thanks for the help! I'm eager to listen to music at the appropriate volume.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

What's the resistance on the new speakers? 4 or 8 ohms
    2005 EXL

I could be mistaken but I seem to recall something about the factory speakers not being 4 or 8 ohm but something else. Again, I might be thinking of something else but for some reason that sticks in my mind. I'd look at the old ones and see what their resistance is and compare to the new ones.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The JBL's are 4 ohms. How can I tell what the ohms is on the factory speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    I could be mistaken but I seem to recall something about the factory speakers not being 4 or 8 ohm but something else. Again, I might be thinking of something else but for some reason that sticks in my mind. I'd look at the old ones and see what their resistance is and compare to the new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjobrob View Post
    The JBL's are 4 ohms. How can I tell what the ohms is on the factory speakers?
    The factory tweeter I know is 4 ohms, i know because i've removed it to test fit my new speakers. By this fact, we can safely presume the woofer is also 4 ohm.
    You are also installing a 2 way speaker into the van which leads me to beleive you may have put them in the front doors? The front doors are a component system so you won't hear any highs or much mids from this new speaker and im guessing the crossover won't be able to handle this new speaker as well.

You can try installing these new Kicker into the rear of the vehicle and test that way, as the rear speakers are a 2 way

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread