Could a failing CV joint produce loud squeaks?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could a failing CV joint produce loud squeaks?

Could a failing CV joint produce loud squeaks?

Could a failing CV joint produce a squeaking noise at low speed when you turn the wheel hard? I just started happening the other day, and the weather has been too bad to get underneath it.

There's no symptoms in steering, or anything else, just the noise. Struts and LCRs are less than 2 years old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

A failing CV would make noise and will get worse till it starts clicking when you make a turn. No noise when you go straight.
    05 EX-L Midnight Blue Pearl
    01 EX (traded in)
    97 CRV (traded in with 183k miles)
    09 CRV EX
    16 HRV EX

I also hear a squeak.

2014 CRV 35k. I know this is an Odyssey forum, but I just read this and thought this might be a similar.

Only on hard turn to the left, low speeds, squeak is coming from right front wheel.

-Peter

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by neuhauspd View Post
    I also hear a squeak.

2014 CRV 35k. I know this is an Odyssey forum, but I just read this and thought this might be a similar.

Only on hard turn to the left, low speeds, squeak is coming from right front wheel.

-Peter
    That would be it. It got worse over the past week and on the last checkup to the local garage, they did note that the passenger side CV joint was leaking. I thought perhaps it could be put off.

Thanks for the speedy answer all.

Quote Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
    Could a failing CV joint produce a squeaking noise at low speed when you turn the wheel hard? I just started happening the other day, and the weather has been too bad to get underneath it.

There's no symptoms in steering, or anything else, just the noise. Struts and LCRs are less than 2 years old.
    Just to give you the coda to this story, ball joint in the LCA on the passenger side failed prematurely. It's now been fixed, and all appears to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by tkrotchko View Post
    Just to give you the coda to this story, ball joint in the LCA on the passenger side failed prematurely. It's now been fixed, and all appears to be good.
    what brand LCA did you use? and what did you replace it with?
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

As alluded to above, the sound of a bad CV joint is typically a clicking noise while turning - not a squeak.

Glad you determined it was your lower control arm and got that fixed.

Always a good idea to inspect your CV boots on a regular basis, as they do fail - especially the outer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by maxud View Post
    what brand LCA did you use? and what did you replace it with?
    Since my job and school have my time maxed out until late summer, all work is being done on the van these days by a local trusted shop. Unfortunately, I have an unsatisfying answer. I purchased them from 1A Auto about 18-24 months ago, so I don't know. And the shop fixed with something they didn't specify.

Sorry I can't be more help. But since mine were no-names, I would mark me in the "not satisfied" category, and would opt for higher quality replacements if I was doing it again. I'm not sure I'd go with Hondas, but certainly a brand name. Lesson learned.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread