How does and Ody perform in the mountains?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does and Ody perform in the mountains?

How does and Ody perform in the mountains?

I am a realtor in North GA and am considering buying an Ody. How is the performance on steep hills and gravel in the mountains? I show a lot of cabins in the mountains so I need something with some umpf to get up the steep gravel hills. What is your personal experience? I am looking at the 2005 to 2010 models. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If you are looking for a vehicle that can seat 6 people and still have very decent cargo space left, ideal for long road trips and its gas consumption is still decent compared to its size the Odyssey is a good choice.

If you are looking for a vehicle that can climb steep, unpaved roads, has good traction in snow or under slippery road conditions the Odyssey will underperform an average SUVs and I would rather buy a 4Runner or similar than a minivan.

The Odyssey CAN climb steep unpaved roads but its relatively small wheel size and the low undercarriage makes it NOT ideal for that purpose.

This is only my personal opinion. To me it really makes no sense to buy something and later bash it when it underperforms under conditions it was not designed for.

For all the reasons OdyMember stated, I would get an SUV with AWD. Have you looked at the Honda Pilot? New one looks very nice.
    2010 Odyssey SE

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by justNtime4 View Post
    I am a realtor in North GA and am considering buying an Ody. How is the performance on steep hills and gravel in the mountains? I show a lot of cabins in the mountains so I need something with some umpf to get up the steep gravel hills. What is your personal experience? I am looking at the 2005 to 2010 models. Thanks!
    Speaking from experience, don't expect an Ody to perform well on steep - or even not so steep - gravel roads, especially if you have to start from a stop on those roads. You'll spin the tires, activate the Traction Control System and spray gravel and mud along both sides of the van. It'll get even worse as your tires get worn. DAMHIKT
    Current Ody: 2006 EX-L, 118K and climbing
    Former Ody:
    t2004 LX, 160K and holdingt

Hidden Content

2007 Civic LX 105K
    2003 Element EX AWD 81K

What are you driving now, and is it performing well enough?

I'm in chattanooga and have an '08 ody and an '06 Ridgeline. If I were doing what you do, I'd use the ridgeline.
    The ody doesn't have the ground clearance or the 4wd - but it's easier for your clients to get in & out of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really need to get a minivan for your business, I recommend (gasp) going with the AWD Toyota Sienna. However, these minivans have similar ground clearance (i.e. low).

So if AWD, multiple passengers (up to 6-7) and greater ground clearance are a must, I would opt for an AWD 3-row crossover SUV. The Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Nissan Pathfinder come to mind. Even the discontinued Subaru Tribeca should be considered for its exceptional AWD system.
    2010 EX-L w/ RES . Alabaster Silver . "The Mother Ship"
    Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread