TPMS & moving Wheels corner to corner
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS & moving Wheels corner to corner

TPMS & moving Wheels corner to corner

Hello all - Sorry couldn't find a definitive answer to this in a search.

2010 EX-L

Can I move Right rear to Right Front without triggering the TPMS?

Cheers,

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Looks like I'll have to give a try & report back!

After a 100 miles through the desert on the donut at 50mph to get to a place with the right size tire I'm going to start carrying a full size spare on long trips!

Of course that one tire they had was a Bridgestone & what I had before was Avon's - & they only had one so now I have odd stuff hence the need to move things around!

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Sorry you didn't get a response. But yes, you can. There is only one receiver for all four TPMS sensors. So the computer has no way of knowing which sensor is on which wheel. So you can swap them around without problems.

The only exception to that is the Touring model.

Thanks for that. Good news.

I assume there is no capacity to add a 5th sensor to the set?

I don't think it would work. The van can only remember 4 sensors at the same time and it does not re-learn sensors automatically.

I was going to suggest that you could clone one of the sensors (I made a video about that) but that would only work if the tire with the sensor you cloned is the one that went flat. Otherwise, when you put your spare on, you could have 2 active sensors with the same code.

I don't know for sure how it would behave with duplicate sensors, but I'm fairly certain it'd put the TPMS light on.

I could actually try it. Maybe I will.

Thanks for the link to video. It would definitely be interesting to find out. I guess with one of those Pads and an Autel sensor in the spare I could at least move the wheels around (i.e. rotate in the spare to the mix as/when necessary by cloning the sensor it's working on).

Did you ever do the replace on a wheel with Tyre already fitted video?

I did, that's here: Gabe's Hacks: Install new TPMS sensors in your tires by yourself!

I do have one of the Autel sensors in my all-seasons right now. I could clone it to match one of the others and see what happens. If I get around to it, I'll let you know what happens.

Just throwing this out there...

Former fleet manager with dozens of vehicles, with a master mechanic working under me for four years. Unbelievable guy, worked for GM Corporate and helped his two sons with their very successful racing pursuits, so his wisdom carried some weight with us.

He never rotated front wheel drive vehicles' tires. Thought it was a colossal waste of time and treasure.

The fronts definitely wear and are replaced in pairs, but the backs literally just hold up the rear of the vehicle, and with proper inflation, will last and last and last. My original Insight went almost 70,000 miles on the rear tires before having to replace them (and I did it prophylactically, I probably could have safely driven another, oh, 5-8K miles on them). Other front drivers I've had bear him out... If I kept a vehicle long enough to get a new set of tires, just the fronts were replaced. Our first-gen Tercel went almost 90,000 miles with the untouched originals in back!

I'm with you... I don't rotate tires either. In the UK (where I'm from originally) it's not common practice.

This time I'm moving one forward to put a new one on the rear as a middle of the desert flat has left me with one odd tyre fitted currently and I'm going to carry a full size spare on subsequent long/remote journeys.

Interestingly safety guidelines say that with FWD you should install your new tyres on the rear (as any lack of grip on the front is more easily /instinctively dealt with by the driver). - Understeer you can just back off, oversteer is a bit more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by cybersaga View Post
    I did, that's here: Gabe's Hacks: Install new TPMS sensors in your tires by yourself!

I do have one of the Autel sensors in my all-seasons right now. I could clone it to match one of the others and see what happens. If I get around to it, I'll let you know what happens.
    I figured that would be how you broke the bead on the tyre - something like that anyway. I've done it that way on bike tyres, not on a car, if anything it looks a little easier on the car.

I'm going to buy an Autel so I guess I could try the "2 of the same ID" thing too once I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    if anything it looks a little easier on the car.
    Well, I edited out a lot of the failures the block would often slip out of place. It took several tries to get the right angle where I could put enough pressure on it without it slipping.

Yes I actually cut the short piece at an angle at the tyre end & put a nail through to hold it to the other board.

Ha! That's brilliant.

Too bad YouTube has disabled annotations. I would have added one to suggest that. I'll update my blog post at least.

I take it the Autel Pad cannot reprogram the stock sensors only their own ones?

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast