AC issue
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC issue

AC issue

I have looked through several posts and wanted to get some fresh advice before handing over a bunch of money for repairs. I have changed the ac relay, checked the fuse with no luck. I also bought some refrigerant to see if it needed recharged. I hooked it up and it read about 120 psi! I tried to see if the compressor was engaged but honestly I can't tell, is it super obvious when it engages? The motor revs a little and the fans kick on but I see no change on the compressor. Is this indicative of a bad compressor, stator or both? I am a little confused by the two to be honest. I have also check voltage on the relay pins as well as jumpered them to try to engage the compressor with apparently no luck. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have relied on this forum for several issues in the past that I have DIY, this seems like it may be a little more complicated for my skills...I have changed the starter, alternator, brakes and rotors as reference. Those are right up my alley. How would you rate this compared to those? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Youtube has many videos on AC troubleshooting.

check out this video it's pretty good you can see the clutch not engaging at 3:55 minute mark
    watch it on 1.5 speed and it's a lot less boring.

Last edited by Yourfishman; 06-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    2008 Ody EXL My baby 225,000
    2005 Ody EXL Wife's 178,000
    2001 Ody EXL Son's 330,000
    2002 Ody EXL The beater and spare 275,000

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Pressure should only be 30-40 psig on the low pressure (larger diameter) line. Seems like your compressor is not operating.

2005 EXL

Pressure should be 30-40 psig on the low side IF the compressor is running. If the compressor is not running then 120psig is normal in the summer time for a static pressure.

I HIGHLY recommend NOT putting any of that stuff from the cans into your system. Most have sealers and conditioners that wreak havoc on the system. I just did a 2003 Mustang that had that stuff in the system and it darn near ruined the entire system. Had to replace the entire system and spent an hour plus flushing it out of the evaporator.

If you can't look down and tell if the compressor is running or not then that's your first thing to learn. Once you can determine that then you can learn about the system and how it's activated.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread