Variable timing oil sensor replacement
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

    Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Variable timing oil sensor replacement

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Seattle washinton
    Posts
    2

    Variable timing oil sensor replacement

    I have a 2005 Odyssey with the3.5i-vtec. It is running a code that the variable timing oil sensor is bad. only problem I'm having is finding the darn thing. Only pictures I can find are of the 2008 which has two and neither of them are found in that location on my 2005. A picture would be great. Any assistance please! This is our family vehicle and is not operational at the moment due to this. When it kicks in the check engine light and VCM kick on shutting down three cylinders causing a loss of power and a bad shake.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4
    I just replaced part 37260-PZA-003 (#15 on REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram). I think this is what you are referring to. Mine is '06 EX-L that had P2646 code. My only symptoms were CEL and the VSA light would come on together. Other than ECO mode (VCM) not engaging, I had not loss of power symptoms.

    You may try to clean or replace the filter screen in this area first (#12 on REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram) before the sensor since the sensor isn't cheap ($126 at Majestic). I did that but had to end up replacing the sensor anyways. Mine was leaking so the seal/gasket needed to be replaced anyways (the seal/gasket includes the filter screen).

    I can't post images or links, so look up the REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram from Majestic Honda or similar online store to see the part numbers I reference above.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Seattle washinton
    Posts
    2
    This wasn't any help thank you though. The dealership offered a small picture of where it should be but that did not help either since it was so small and no detail. Still working on this to get it running again.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhite78 View Post
    This wasn't any help thank you though. The dealership offered a small picture of where it should be but that did not help either since it was so small and no detail. Still working on this to get it running again.
    it's different location depending on your trim. EX or EX-L or Touring?

    https://www.bkhondaparts.com/auto-pa.../oil-pump-scat

    if it's EX then it will

  7. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006OdyEXL View Post
    I just replaced part 37260-PZA-003 (#15 on REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram). I think this is what you are referring to. Mine is '06 EX-L that had P2646 code. My only symptoms were CEL and the VSA light would come on together. Other than ECO mode (VCM) not engaging, I had not loss of power symptoms.

    You may try to clean or replace the filter screen in this area first (#12 on REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram) before the sensor since the sensor isn't cheap ($126 at Majestic). I did that but had to end up replacing the sensor anyways. Mine was leaking so the seal/gasket needed to be replaced anyways (the seal/gasket includes the filter screen).

    I can't post images or links, so look up the REAR CYLINDER HEAD parts diagram from Majestic Honda or similar online store to see the part numbers I reference above.
    it's depends on the trim level. EXL and touring use this parts 15810-RKB-J01 Spool Valve Assembly

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lucio2016 View Post
    it's depends on the trim level. EXL and touring use this parts 15810-RKB-J01 Spool Valve Assembly
    The part you reference is the entire assembly. I just replaced the oil pressure switch that is part of that assembly (part #15 in your diagram). EX-L also has an oil pressure switch near the oil filter as shown in the diagram you posted for the EX (there is also a filter screen at both locations for the EX-L).

    I think OP's trim and exact DTC code would be helpful, otherwise we are just guessing. I assume he has EX-L since he mentioned VCM.

    In my situation, my DTC code described a "VTEC oil pressure switch". After researching, I first thought it was the switch near the oil filter because of the part description. However after further research, it ended up being the switch on the spool valve assembly. EX wouldn't be the same switch since the spool valve assembly is related to VCM.

  9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. P0389 crankshaft sensor code after timing belt replacement
    By AudioAndrew in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 11:15 AM
  2. 3rd Gen Oxygen sensor (O2 sensor) replacement
    By ohmslaw in forum 2005 - 2010 Odyssey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2015, 03:59 PM
  3. Oil leak created by the dealer after timing belt replacement
    By manucure in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 11:49 PM
  4. 03 Odyssey Oil leak after timing belt replacement.
    By djd2828 in forum Problems and Concerns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
  5. rear top timing mark off a little on timing belt replacement
    By napalm747 in forum 1999 - 2004 Odyssey
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 07:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2