No place for clothes rod in 2006 Ody?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No place for clothes rod in 2006 Ody?

No place for clothes rod in 2006 Ody?

Just traded 2001 Odyssey EX for 2006 EX-L. I'm not as pleased as I thought I would be. One feature of the old Ody was two coat hooks behind the 2nd row seats that you could attach a rod to and hang some clothes while traveling. I assume the side airbags in the new one are the reason for this lack in the new model. Does anyone have any idea how to overcome this problem? I have'nt been able to find any after-market accessories that fit the bill.
    Thanks,
    Arley

I miss my old Ody (sniff).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

VELCRO

Hello retired1, I used pieces of velcro to attach my clothes rod in the third row to the flip down hand grips. I just wrap the velcro around the rod hook and the hand grip several times and it holds a lot of weight. I just have an expandable vehicle clothes rod that I got at either Walmart or Kmart, can't remember which. QCSTEVE
    QCTEVE
    • 2005 Ody EX-L RES Silver 85,000 miles
    • 2006 Toyota Highlander 30,000miles

Thanks for the idea. I can use my old clothes rod and velcro. After looking at those hand grips, it would be nice if somebody manufactured adjustable clothes rods with swivel padded hooks at the ends that would fit in the hand grips without sliding around, but no can find any such thing with internet search.

Thanks again,
    retired1

Re: No place for clothes rod in 2006 Ody?

Originally posted by retired1
    JOne feature of the old Ody was two coat hooks behind the 2nd row seats that you could attach a rod to and hang some clothes while traveling. I assume the side airbags in the new one are the reason for this lack in the new model.
    Just checking to make sure you know that there ARE coathooks on each side. They are part of the second row grab handles.

No, I did'nt know that. Just went out and looked. Now why the heck are'nt the grab handles behind the second row made the same? On road trips we hang clothes behind the 2nd row; Murphy the wonder dog lounges across the 2nd row seats.
    I wonder if the grab handles could be reversed? The problem is I'm so mechanically challenged I'm lucky I can tie my own shoes...

I looked at our 2006 Ody last night, and am pretty sure that you could switch the 2nd row grab handles with the 3rd row handles. Assuming you could get the screws loose, it wouldn't take long at all.

Each handle is held in by 2 Phillips screws. Simply pull the handle down, and hold it down. Look at the "bumps" where the handle is mounted to the car. Note the little tabs at the top. Simply pull those toward you to reveal the screws.

I'll bet your dealer would do this for you next time your there.

Was: 2000 Odyssey LX
    Now: 2005 Civic LX 4D AT

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I'm definitely going to look into swapping the grab handles (got a great relationship with my dealers' service dept.), then I can use my old clothes rod. Problem solved --- hoo-ray!

The clothes hangers on the second row are small and can't hold more than your dry cleaning. To travel with more clothes, I cut a 1" dowel rod to fit between the 3rd row hand grips when they are in the down position (about 45 1/4"). I drilled holes in the ends to insert screw bolts with 1 1/2" washers. I screwed the bolts in with a gap about 3/4" that will rest securely on the hand grips and the washers on the window side of the grips. This snugs the grips to keep it from sliding front to back. It will raise the coat hangers about 3/4" above the hand grips.
    Last edited by Lodgingman; 04-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements