How much did your 30K ( 30000 mile ) service cost - maintenance code A 12
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much did your 30K ( 30000 mile ) service cost - maintenance code A 12

How much did your 30K ( 30000 mile ) service cost - maintenance code A 12

I couldnt find a thread on this topic.

Just wondering how much should I expect to pay for my 30K service (shows up a A12 on the maintenance minder)?

I called one dealer (Willet in Atlanta) and got a quote for 429+taxes. The other two dealers, perhaps because its 6PM on a Friday, I can't seem to get hold of.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Raj

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just so you know, this service is just an oil change, tire rotation, and general check service. Except that the engine air filter and the A/C cabin filter also get changed. If you are at all handy, both can be done for the price of the filters. I never pay to have them replaced. In the old days, a 30k service meant something, now that service waits to 105k.

Agree with EGADS.
    I NEVER perform the scheduled maintenance as per the dealer. I change oil every +- 3,500 miles (many would agree that this is excessive) and I have the tranny and cooling system serviced every two years or 24K, at worse. This week, I spent $77 and had the dealer perform an oil and filter change and a cooling system flush (I was told the cooling system is to be serviced at 48K). I have 24K miles. At the 21K oil change, I had the tranny serviced also and spent $75. I don't need the dealer to check my brake fluid or rotate my tires (rotation, computer balance, torque wrench to tighten at Sam's Club for less than $16 while we shop). Last time I purchased an accessory on line from a Honda Dealer, I aslo purchased some air filters which is an easy DIY task. In sum, I spend considerably less that someone who has the scheduled dealer services performed and, with that, I service the critical fluids more frequently.
    HOOSIER DADDY! Go Big Red!

08 S2000 New Formula Red (cure for the minivan blues)
    05 EXL Sage Brush/Olive NAVI+RES - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads and Centric Premium Rotors - No Noise!!!
    98 Raisin Pearl Accord LX Sedan - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    Excell 2600PSI Pressure Washer, powered by Honda

Previous rides:

94 DC T&C - another mercy buy (used)
    91 Camry V6 wagon - mercy buy (used)
    88 Accord LXI Sedan
    82 Accord LX 5-speed Hatchback
    77 Civic CVCC 5-speed Hatchback
    82 Honda HR21 Lawnmower

Smile I'm worth $100/hr...

Same here...

With the exception of inspections which I have the dealer do every 12,000KM.s I do everything else.

Oil change, Trans fluid drain and fill, air filters, cabin filters ,swap snow tires etc, brake pads and rotors etc...

I stll get the same confused look everytime I go in and tell then not to do the oil change.

I will let them do the brake fluid flush though. I have done it myself but its just to much of a bother.

When the hourly rate at the dealer in Toronto is $100/hr (including tax) its a very good incentive to do things yourself...

According to the manual, page 324, this service is A 1,2,
    A= oil change
    1= rotate tires
    2= replace engine air filter, cabin (pollen) filter & check drive belts.

Coolant does not get changed in these vans. Whoever told Lakersfan 48k was full of it. Honda long life coolant lasts to 120k (although it could get replaced when the timing belt & water pump is) The coolant should only be topped off with Honda premix. (my wife's never needed any in 120k)

Also on page 324 is a note about replacing the brake fluid every three years regardless of mileage. We did not used to do this, but now we have ABS & Traction controllers. Moisture in brake fluid could ruin one of these expensive components.

I would also have my trans fluid changed at this mileage.

Egads

Your point is well taken. The service dept is a top margin generator for the dealer (that, and used cars) and my experience is that services are recommended more frequently than needed. If my memory serves me correctly (too tired at this moment to go outside and get my manual), Honda does not even list mileage threshholds for most of the services. Rather, they now have you rely on the indicator in the van. You could spin this to mean that it takes the excessive service suggestions out of the dealer's back pocket "or: it opens the door for the dealer to create their own recommendations. I have read the debate on coolant before but I just can't see leaving it in for 100K+ miles and I can't see any negative to changing more often other than damaging the environment. I have never had an internal mechanical problem with an engine or tranny following the logic that I previsously stated. The way I look at it, I spend A LOT less and do a lot more. Heck, I even got a free car wash this last time as my van was filthy from a recent light rain.
    HOOSIER DADDY! Go Big Red!

08 S2000 New Formula Red (cure for the minivan blues)
    05 EXL Sage Brush/Olive NAVI+RES - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads and Centric Premium Rotors - No Noise!!!
    98 Raisin Pearl Accord LX Sedan - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    Excell 2600PSI Pressure Washer, powered by Honda

Previous rides:

94 DC T&C - another mercy buy (used)
    91 Camry V6 wagon - mercy buy (used)
    88 Accord LXI Sedan
    82 Accord LX 5-speed Hatchback
    77 Civic CVCC 5-speed Hatchback
    82 Honda HR21 Lawnmower

Re: I'm worth $100/hr...

Originally posted by bbylon5

I will let them do the brake fluid flush though. I have done it myself but its just to much of a bother.

[/B]
    Griot's Garage has a vacuum brake bleeder that makes one person fluid changes a snap. It costs about $70.
    2005 Touring White/Ivory

Smile Re: Re: I'm worth $100/hr...

Originally posted by 911/q45
    Griot's Garage has a vacuum brake bleeder that makes one person fluid changes a snap. It costs about $70.
    For me the "bother part" is having to jack up one and remove one wheel at a time to bleed each corner... Guess I am just getting old :-)

Since the dealer can do it while its up on the hoist for the brake inspection and tire rotation I don't mind paying them the 1hr labour they charge... And its about the only thing extra I will pay then for...

So far in the two yers I have had my 04 the dealer has only made $86...

my daughter decided to play hide the owners manual when I left it out the other day (wasn't was fun as hide the keys though)

anyway, when does the tranny fluid need changing according to the manual?

thank you!

egads, the manual link doesn't work, not on my Mac or my PC. None of the supposedly linked indexes go anywhere. What gives?
    All things considered, I'd rather be riding my Triumph.

Unhappy

"This week, I spent $77 ... and a cooling system flush (I was told the cooling system is to be serviced at 48K). I have 24K miles. At the 21K oil change, I had the tranny serviced also and spent $75"

This is a complete waste and doesn't even fall under the "just to be safe" argument. This is 2008 not 1978.
    2008 EX-L
    Slate green / grey

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by beatledog
    egads, the manual link doesn't work, not on my Mac or my PC. None of the supposedly linked indexes go anywhere. What gives?
    You'll find the links work for the more recent model years....

Doesn't help for the 01's though

Do you have a URL for the service manuals?
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Door Stop Removal (SquidMod #1)
    Off Road use only Headlights (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements