valet key?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: valet key?

valet key?

does the valet key have that electronic chip? can it get wet?

we're going to a water park, and i'd like to lock the van up and use the valet key.
    VFR Pilot's Wife
    '05 Touring

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Yes it does. Valet key is sometimes used to enable the remote by simply taping it down close to the ignition switch (or so I read on this forum).

I feel that it is quite OK to get the key wet. Everything is well enclosed inside of the key... I dont remember reading anywhere otherwise...

His - (NEW) 2011 BMW X5 35d fully loaded, platinum gray/black... GO DIESEL! 23mpg mixed, 30mpg highway, 425 lb/ft torque @ 1700 rpm
    Her - (NEW) 2010 BMW 335XI, fully loaded, monaco blue/black
    His - (SOLD) 05 Touring Sage Brush/Ivory NAVI+RES, DesignTech Daytime Running Lights module, CentricParts front brake pads, MrGrille, Sunroof Visor, Mudflaps, Chrome Tail Pipe Tip, AutoBahn mirror, Panoramic rearview mirror, Padded coin tray, Lighted 2nd row console, Felt-padded, Rattle-free, 18+ coats of Klausse, WeatherTech Vent Shades, XenonDepot HID 4300K, Wilson's Pads, Hood Deflector w/Odyssey logo, new 4 PAX tires at 21,500 mi, then again at 25,300 mi.
    Hers - 04 ES330 w/NAVI
    Former owner of 01 EX-NAVI(4yrs/45K mi) Emerald Green
    Customer Acceptance Checklist : http://www.urvi.net/2005odyfan/Checklist.html
    Pictures Of My Ody : http://home.comcast.net/~2005odyfan/myody.html
    Rattle Kill : http://www.urvi.net/2005odyfan/rattlekill.html
    Disclaimer : All DIY changes recommended in my posts/web sites/links are to be performed at your own risk. Author does not guarantee that modifications will not cause any damage, either immediate or in the future.

You can get a key cut just to open the doors. Then hide that valet key inside. We had a discussion about this just as summer holiday season was approaching. The sum opinion was splash ok, emersion probably not.

Considering the cost of replacement keys, get a generic cut home depot special that will open the doors and nothing else. (without a chip it wont start anyhow)

I would hide the good key somewhere in the van. Getting it wet might be ok, but again... Price out the replacements first,then get shocked and then drive real fast to home depot. The key will cost 2.00. Just make sure to test the key before you drive away.

Enjoy the water park!!

Tom
    2006 OceanMist EX-L

Does Home Depot etc cut keys like that? Where the cut is actually a ridge along a solid piece? I don't think I've ever seen that they cut that kind. I thought they couldn't...

As much as I hate to admit it, I've washed and dried a key (and remote- cringe) and the key got a little beat up but works fine and the remote didn't seem to have any problems at all- in fact they are my everyday keys. I don't recommend it at all, but they work.... and I gotta start checking pockets before I dump things in the washer.....

-Kristi
    2001.5 Audi S4 Nogarro Blue 6-speed
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES, Cargo tray, All weather mats, Splash guards

According to my locksmith, the ody key blanks are cut on a special laser cutting key machine. Home depot? I do not think so.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements