HAve you changed out your Transmission Filter Yet?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HAve you changed out your Transmission Filter Yet?

HAve you changed out your Transmission Filter Yet?

Hey Guys.. For my 2006 Odyssey that I purchased last April (06), I am planning to change out the Transmission Filter this April...

Owning a 2001 Accord LX-V6 also, and having a few little small issues with my transmission on the Accord, I want to keep my Odyssey for as long as possible and want to minimize any transmission issues and I maintain my vehicles fair well.

So I figure, I will change out the transmission filter this year, and then every two years after that

Since the filter is not a canister type, it is cartridge type, it looks like once you open the top plate to get to the cartridge, it looks like it might be a messy job as what every fluid is in their will pour outHas anyone DIY and did you find it to be a messy job?

And what condition did you find the filter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

My dealer tells me there is no filter on the 05 Ody and up. I was informed of this I went to buy a new one.

Registered User Chester_Lampwic's Avatar
    Well, if that's a pic of the '05 & '06 tranny I clearly see the filter. It's an odd looking affair though. It appears to use an external hose for no good reason. Maybe it could be tapped to add an even larger external filter and reservoir for additional capacity. Hmm....
    2005 EX
    I don't know what Hondas call it, but I'd say it's a tarnished silver colour.

Smile 05's definetly have one.

Originally posted by II Kings 9:20
    My dealer tells me there is no filter on the 05 Ody and up. I was informed of this I went to buy a new one.
    All dealers seem unaware of its existence since it no listed on any of the normal maintenance services but it is there...
    (they also claimed there was no filter on the 04 and earlier trans as well)..

Meet your Honda AT Filter

The location of the 05 filter is just about the same as on the 04 and earlier so getting to it and chnaging it should be about the same level of difficulty even though you just replace the filter element here and on the 04's you replace the the whole canniste r as well.

Safe to assume the 04 MDX has the same filter? Of course I'll confirm through Acura. Acura recommends a triple drain/fill in the owner's manual and does not mention a filter.

My S430 also has a filter but MB claims lifetime fluid that never needs changing or service.

Smile Yep, you have one as well

Originally posted by II Kings 9:20
    Safe to assume the 04 MDX has the same filter? Of course I'll confirm through Acura. Acura recommends a triple drain/fill in the owner's manual and does not mention a filter.

My S430 also has a filter but MB claims lifetime fluid that never needs changing or service.
    Yes it does, same as 04 pilot and 04 odyssey...

This link will detail the procedure

And this is the part number for the filter which the dealer will claim you don't have ...

25450-P7W-003 FILTER (ATF)

rcy
    The 2007 (different tranny than the 06 and 05) has a filter as well, but it's in a different spot, and looks easier to replace. Hard to tell from the angle though..

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.a...ViewParts=true

From that image it looks like it an internal filter that is not servicable unless you crack the case. Maybe?
    05 Odyssey - Silver LX
    Custom Front Grill
    Weathertech Liners - Black
    Panasonic Head Unit - Infinity Speakers

It sure looks like that way doesnt it... Kinda stinks if this is the case for 2007+ owners

Originally posted by Malathion
    From that image it looks like it an internal filter that is not servicable unless you crack the case. Maybe?

Registered User Chester_Lampwic's Avatar
    Are you sure? It looks mostly the same to me, but the picture is probably rotated.
    2005 EX
    I don't know what Hondas call it, but I'd say it's a tarnished silver colour.

I agree, looks rotated. Probably the same.

rcy
    The filter is a different part number on the '07 vs the '06. The mounting assembly looks different as well, but it doesn't look like you have to 'crack the case.

On the '06, it looks more like a cover comes off, and the filter is inside a round housing that is part of the transmission body itself.

On the '07, it looks more like the round housing comes off the transmission body with the filter inside.

The '07 looks a bit simpler - I see on the '06 a couple springs and washers that go with the filter that the '07 doesn't have.

I've done it on my '06, and it's not too messy. About a cupful of ATF runs out as soon as you take off the passage body cap. Unfortunately, the ATF runs down the driver's side of the trans case by the wheelwell, and isn't easy to clean it all off. The driveway still had a few drops after a day or two.

Note that joint bolt #17 is not easy to reach since the VSA modulator is in the way. I ended up unbolting the modulator bracket and moving it slightly over, as the brake hard lines are attached to the modulator. You'll also need to remove bolt #27 to move the ATF pipe out of the way to reach the filter.

After 9k miles, the filter was dark, but didn't look too bad. However, I didn't expect to see as much metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug as I did.

Too bad the filter change isn't listed on any maintenance schedule. $15 on the filter, o-ring #22 and gasket #23 (plus the ATF fluid change) is CHEAP insurance. You'll be rest assured that you took one extra step to take care of the trans - I know I do.

Good luck!

odc10... When you reinstalled the filter, did the spring stay in place on the end of the filter, or did you use some grease to hold the spring on the filter when you inserted the filter/spring back in to the assembly?

Originally posted by odc10
    I've done it on my '06, and it's not too messy. About a cupful of ATF runs out as soon as you take off the passage body cap. Unfortunately, the ATF runs down the driver's side of the trans case by the wheelwell, and isn't easy to clean it all off. The driveway still had a few drops after a day or two.

Note that joint bolt #17 is not easy to reach since the VSA modulator is in the way. I ended up unbolting the modulator bracket and moving it slightly over, as the brake hard lines are attached to the modulator. You'll also need to remove bolt #27 to move the ATF pipe out of the way to reach the filter.

After 9k miles, the filter was dark, but didn't look too bad. However, I didn't expect to see as much metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug as I did.

Too bad the filter change isn't listed on any maintenance schedule. $15 on the filter, o-ring #22 and gasket #23 (plus the ATF fluid change) is CHEAP insurance. You'll be rest assured that you took one extra step to take care of the trans - I know I do.

Good luck!

Re: Yep, you have one as well

Originally posted by bbylon5
    Yes it does, same as 04 pilot and 04 odyssey...

This link will detail the procedure

And this is the part number for the filter which the dealer will claim you don't have ...

25450-P7W-003 FILTER (ATF)
    Thanks for the link, through a series of searches I have found that the above filter is for the 01-02 MDX.

The 03-07 MDX is the same as the 05+ Ody #25450-P4V-013.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements