Side view mirror broken - replace?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Side view mirror broken - replace?

tmh

Side view mirror broken - replace?

My wife backed the van side mirror into the garage and the glass broke. No other damage - still moves fine, etc. Do i need to have the entire mirror unit repleced or can I just get the glass off and buy new glass and put on?

Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

glass should be available

I am not positive, but I had recently been looking to replace the mirror housing on our subaru. I came across a few sites that had just the glass. I was able to get ours back together with some epoxy, just the housing- the glass was fine. I imagine you could find the glass somewhere. The full assembly with glass for the subaru was $170. I imagine the odys is a bit more.
    Good luck
    Vehicles:
    07 odyssey EX Ocean Mist- hers
    96 civic DX- mine

Try a glass shop. They may be able to replace it. The glass is in a holder and the instructions to replace it is in the service manual.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

I think this has been covered here. Just use the search on mirror replacement. I think just the glass is available. You can go to one of these sites and look up the parts and see if it's available separately.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/

http://www.slhondaparts.com/

I've had to do this. Replace the whole assembly. I posted instructions on the forum. It's easy. I think the mirror assembly costs about $130, more or less (if ordered online).
    Mark

'05 Ody EX-L Slate Green/Olive
    '01 CR-V

Originally posted by tmh
    My wife backed the van side mirror into the garage and the glass broke. No other damage - still moves fine, etc. Do i need to have the entire mirror unit repleced or can I just get the glass off and buy new glass and put on?

Thx.
    You don't say if you have an LX (non-heated mirrors) or EX+ (heated mirrors), for '05+ anyway, but the advice to buy the whole mirror assembly is not for you if all you have broken is just the mirror itself.

I also would skip a glass shop, especially if you have the heated mirrors. The honda 'mirror only' is inexpensive considering, and you'll then have a perfect OEM fit.

My wife did the same thing last year - she backed up and cracked the passenger side mirror against a post. It did scuff the housing slightly (no one else would likely notice unless I pointed it out) but the mirror cracked - fractured into little pieces. The only thing that kept the housing itself from breaking is that it bends slightly to the front, as well as folding in. I bought just the passenger side mirror, heated unit, for my '05 EX from BernardiParts (same as the link egads provided) along with an order of some other items (filters, etc). The cost? $20.26 for the mirror plus postage (dividing the postage evenly among all the items I bought, the mirror cost a total of about $26.00). The broken mirror pops out, unhook the wiring connector for the heat grid, hook up the wiring to the new mirror, new mirror snaps in. Done.

If you have the fortune to have the same broken mirror as I did (passenger side, heated), your Honda part # will be 76203-SHJ-C41. Otherwise, go to the Bernardi site, do a parts search by VIN or year/make/model, and follow the links to the mirrors and find the part # for your trim. Once you have the part # you can buy it from whatever dealer you choose, of course.

EDIT: On the side, if you do decide to spend well over $100.00 on a complete housing assembly that you don't need, there will be more choices because you'll have to make sure to match the body color, too, if you have an EX+ (unless you have an LX, where for '05+ the mirror housings are black). Also, if the motor or guts ever go bad, but the housing is okay - or just the housing cracks but the guts are still good, you can buy all the parts individually... just for future reference.
    Last edited by Reinhold; 03-16-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    2005 EX - Sage Brush & Olive
    -Honda Care
    -odyclub.com sticker (need a new one...)
    -Mr. Grille
    -summer: stock Michelins, on the stock alloy wheels - 38 psi
    -winter: 215/70/R16 100T Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV studded, on OEM steel wheels - 40 psi
    -1st row -> Black Weathertech FloorLiners for more complete protection. Excellent!!
    -2nd & 3rd rows -> Black Kraco floor mats, very good -plus- inexpensive
    -Oskar Sure Funnel
    -Weathertech Window Deflectors set of 4

tmh
    OK, thanks all. I have a '05 LX so I assume not heated side view mirrors. I'll have a look at it as to how the mirror "pops off". Looks like not a big deal.

Thanks.

zio
    Just take your car to any auto glass/wind shield shop. They have computerised cutting machine that stores shapes & sizes of side mirrors of most cars. They will cut out the exact mirror for you, mount it with glue and you should be done in less than 45 minutes at most. They will rubber band the mirror to the housing when you leave but you can remove it in a few hours. The cost should be less than $30 last time I did it on another van. I could not tell any difference from the OEM mirror.

No assumptions needed - if it's an '05 LX US model, then yes, non-heated mirrors. If you have a Canadian model, then they all have heated mirrors I believe... not to mention the bigger wiper fluid reservoir, and front splash guards standard... but that's another post.

anyway, the non-heated LX mirrors are even cheaper than the heated EX+ ones.

driver's side 76253-SHJ-A11 Honda MIRROR SUB-ASSY., L.
    List $14.20, Bernardi $10.39

passenger's side 76203-SHJ-A11 Honda MIRROR SUB-ASSY., R.
    List $14.53, Bernardi $10.64

Guess the passenger side costs more because you get the 'objects in mirror may be closer than they appear' script...

Anyway, again, no need to pay double (~$30.00) at the glass store when you can pay under $15.00 MSRP at your local dealer... and pop it in yourself and it'll be just like NEW. No rubber bands required. I guess if your only dealer is out of the way and you live next door to a glass shop, that would be a consideration. otherwise...
    2005 EX - Sage Brush & Olive
    -Honda Care
    -odyclub.com sticker (need a new one...)
    -Mr. Grille
    -summer: stock Michelins, on the stock alloy wheels - 38 psi
    -winter: 215/70/R16 100T Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV studded, on OEM steel wheels - 40 psi
    -1st row -> Black Weathertech FloorLiners for more complete protection. Excellent!!
    -2nd & 3rd rows -> Black Kraco floor mats, very good -plus- inexpensive
    -Oskar Sure Funnel
    -Weathertech Window Deflectors set of 4

masterqi
    Reinhold, for a fantastically helpful post.

tmh
    Ordered the glass today from Bernardi's. $18 including shipping. Nice....

Thanks for the great help!

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements