Successful Drl Installation On My 2007 Ex-l
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Successful Drl Installation On My 2007 Ex-l

Thumbs up Successful DRL (Daytime Running Light) Installation On My 2007 Ex-l

Well, after a successful installation of DEI 545T (Successful installation of DEI/Viper 545T Nite-Light system in a 2007 EX-L), I decided to do another MOD which is installing DRL. I happen to have seen the 2006 DRL wiring diagram and proceeded to do my own modified version.

I did NOT use any resistor. Following HONDA's design, when DRL is activated, the 2 HIGH BEAM bulbs become connected in SERIES instead of the usual PARALLEL, hence each bulb is illuminating @ 50%.

Materials:
    1.) 3 SPDT 30A automotive RELAYS
    2.) 1 inline mini fuse holder
    3.) #16 stranded automotive wires
    4.)1/4" black split wire loom (to match what's in the van)
    5.) assorted sizes heatshrink insulators
    6.) soldering gun/lead
    7.) black electrical tape
    8.) black plastic enclosure for the relays ($3.xx from Radioshack)
    9.) MULTITESTER
    10.) 2 pcs. DIODES

It took me about 3 hours to do everything. The hardest part was figuring out how the relays would be used.

****REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE MAIN GROUND CABLE FROM THE BATTERY before doing the installation. Make sure you have the radio RESET CODE..*****

There's ONLY 1 wire that needs to be CUT- it is the black wire (ground wire) of the PASSENGER SIDE HIGH BEAM.

-I got a SWITCHED 12 volts source from the YELLOW/GREEN wire under the MAIN UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX. For the CONSTANT/LIVE 12 volts, I tapped from the big BOLT on the right side of the MAIN UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX.

-It is safe to use a plastic enclosure because the relays and diodes do not get warm/hot at all...

-When I'm not busy next week, I'll look for a good route for running wires thru the firewall so I can install switches and be able to conveniently able/disable the DRL.
    -
    I know my ODY needs a carwash..
    Last edited by jojo1971; 03-24-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    2003 Black CHEVY Silverado 1500HD
    2007 Midnight Blue Pearl HONDA Odyssey EX-L

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Nice work on the DRL!

I just purchased an 07 EX-L as well and need to get the DRL working. Is there another way that is easier? I could do the mod you did above but I feel a bit nervous fooling with such a new vehicle...

I called Canadian Tire and they said they can do it but the module they use keeps the lights on longer than some people like after shutting off the ignition. I called another CT store and they didn't want to do it because the module's didn't always work well.

The module they use is the HAMSAR 70987.. Anyone have any advise ?

Thanks much!

JOJO1971, looks great!
    Tried to contact you with questions, no reply, so if anyone can help, please reply.

I'm new to the forum, had a 2005 Odyssey (rock thru the AC condenser/$800) and now have a 2007 with NAV/DVD/ (res).
    Installed some AC protection already on the 2007 thanks to this forum.

Sorry for the length of this post, but want to lay it all out the first time if possible.

Anyway, I was always miffed that Honda didn't install DRL and still don't have them...

I like JOJO1971's MOD because it emulates what Honda has already done with their schematic.

Comments on JOJO1971's MOD:
    It's a lot easier to understand the hand drawn circuit if you know that the "Normally Closed" connection is between terminals 30 and 87a, and when the coil is energized, the connection is between 30 and 87 (the Normally Open state).

The hand drawn diagram with the relays indicates a connection to "HIGH BEAM" and "LOW BEAM", but does not show up on the Honda schematic where they connect (Although I think I get it...HI+ equates to HIGH BEAM+. non-GND side of the bulbs and LO+ would be the non-ground side of the low beam bulbs).... Lo+ was not marked on the Honda schematic...

Also not mentioned was how the HI+ and LOW+ wires were connected...there are 2 fuses and both bulbs connect together through those 2 fuses, but depending on where the wire connects, if one fuse blows out on the drivers side for instance, and that is where the wire connects BOTH lights mayl not operate...

[BTW, Anyone else tried this DRL method yet?]

From what I can gather from the initial post documents, whenever the Switched 12V (Ignition) is OFF, the passenger side HI Beam ground wire is actually connected through one of the relays (the lower right relay in the diagram).

Likewise, whenever either or both the LOW BEAM and/or the HI BEAM lights are activated, the ground wire is in the same condition...direct connect to chassis GND, and the headlights work as normal...this is because the TOP and LOWER LEFT relay will switch from 30-87a to 30-87...and 87 isn't connected to anything (but 12V Constant will be on those terminals, so INSULATE them...

However, whenever the IGNITION voltage is present and BOTH the LOW BEAM and the HIGH BEAM are OFF, then the ground wire half of the circuit that is connecting to the HI BEAM BULB is fed the "CONSTANT 12 volts" and the direct ground connection is essentially "CUT" (and no chance of it ever shorting since the relay can only be in one state or the other) .

Additionally, flashing the headlights will also work as normal, but while they are activated, the DRL function is also disabled...cool.

The only mod I would want to possibly consider would be to use something other than the IGNITION 12V...just so the DRL is not activated till AFTER I have the engine running...or if I turn the key on to listen to the radio I am not running the DRL and (unknowingly?) draining by battery. (Is this the way Honda installed DRL to work in Canada models...key on, DRL are ON?)

I think I would also add a few extra fuses for safety sake and debug purposes...like maybe in-line with the 2 diodes.

This brings me to the real question:
    Is there a Cam Position Sensor, or other low amperage 12V signal that I could use instead of 12V IGNITION that would only be present when the engine is actually turning? (I could condition a Cam Sensor toggling clock-type signal with a "one shot", a 555 timer with R/C delays (, etc)....and if there is such a signal, where would it be accessed? Someone got schematics handy for a 2007?

Oh Yeah, the brightness would be at 50%...a bit brighter than the 40% ON using the other kits (and I already have all the BOSCH relays and other goodies handy).

I'm going for it, but really want to get the DRL trigger voltage based on ENGINE TURNING if possible.

AUSTEX (for Austin, Tx).

Afterthought, DRL/FOG lights relays combo

It occurred to me after I wrote the previous reply that you could connect up some fog lights to these unused terminals on pins 87 of the TOP and LOWER LEFT relays in the diagram...that way whenever the headlights are ON (flashing headlights also), the fog lights would also be turned ON...otherwise they are OFF and DRL activated and no extra relays needed for this foglight power/relay purpose.
    AUSTEX

"Likewise, whenever either or both the LOW BEAM and/or the HI BEAM lights are activated, the ground wire is in the same condition...direct connect to chassis GND, and the headlights work as normal...this is because the TOP and LOWER LEFT relay will switch from 30-87a to 30-87...and 87 isn't connected to anything (but 12V Constant will be on those terminals, so INSULATE them..."

DRL's hooked up WRONG

Well, to be safe I took my new 07 Ody to a local Honda dealer and they did the DRL modifications.

For the first time since the install, I was behind my wife driving down the street and noticed she has NO tail lights. I then pulled in front of her and noticed that the high beams are on 100% as the DRL's, which is VERY bright and that the driver side low beam is always on.

When I got home, I tried a bunch of combinations and found the following.

1. Head light stalk switch turned to off/normal position

- NO Tail Lights.
    - High Beams ON.
    - Drivers low beam ON.
    - Passenger low beam OFF.

2. Head light stalk switch turned to position #1

- Tail lights ON.
    - High Beams ON.
    - Drivers low beam ON.

3. Head light stalk switch turned to position #2

- Tail lights ON.
    - High Beams ON.
    - Low Beams ON.

Could they screw it up any worse??

Wow, they did mess that up. I've never quite understood the premise of DRL. I had them on one of my earlier cars and never really understood the need of them. I did not feel any more safe with them on. Why not just turn your headlights on during the day if you feel you can't be seen.
    07 Touring w/NAV, RES

Originally posted by Placeman
    Wow, they did mess that up. I've never quite understood the premise of DRL. I had them on one of my earlier cars and never really understood the need of them. I did not feel any more safe with them on. Why not just turn your headlights on during the day if you feel you can't be seen.
    It's a federal law here in Canada. I guess the idea is that you can be seen better seen with them on... Whatever.

This brings me to the real question:
    Is there a Cam Position Sensor, or other low amperage 12V signal that I could use instead of 12V IGNITION that would only be present when the engine is actually turning? (I could condition a Cam Sensor toggling clock-type signal with a "one shot", a 555 timer with R/C delays (, etc)....and if there is such a signal, where would it be accessed? Someone got schematics handy for a 2007?

Oh Yeah, the brightness would be at 50%...a bit brighter than the 40% ON using the other kits (and I already have all the BOSCH relays and other goodies handy).

I'm going for it, but really want to get the DRL trigger voltage based on ENGINE TURNING if possible.

AUSTEX (for Austin, Tx).
    On my old Sienna, the DRLs are not active untile the parking brake is released. This is another way to disengage the DRLs you may want to consider.
    2006 Odyssey Touring RES/NAV Slate Green/Olive 2/14/06

2005 Corvette 6 speed Millenium Yellow/Ebony 2/20/05

2007 Q7 3.6 Premium 7 seats Tow Package 6/17/07

DRL in 2005 Odyssey

HI ,
    I asked my Local Electrician to do this job for me and he end up having the DRL. The only Issue is that I have Lights On Indicator Always on and the Parking light at the back is also ON when the Ignition is ON. I think he created something to mimic the Parking light ON when Ignition is ON.Is it Normal?I need to go back to him and explain the problem ,but thought of consulting the experts first.

Regards
    YeePee
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX L
    2001 Acura EL (It is an Acura in Civic Body, not available in US )

Originally posted by Placeman
    Thats what I say DRL is a nice feature but if my vehicle didn't come with it then Im not messing with the wires to have a feature thats not worth the hassle to install.
    Cars I currently own:
    07 Odyssey EXL NAV RES
    01 Accord EX
    97 Integra GSR
    88 Accord LXI

Successfuly installed using HAMSAR 45035

I finally Fixed it. Talked to the electrician and brought HAMSAR 45035.I am based in Toronto close to the HAMSAR factory . I was able to get it from an Auto spares shop for 40 Dollars and my Electrician was able to install it successfully. If you could find a good Auto Electrician who install Remote Start car security etc it is a Piece of cake for them. Took half an hour for him to install.

Regards and thanks
    YeePee
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX L
    2001 Acura EL (It is an Acura in Civic Body, not available in US )

bhp

No Picture

Hi there,

Is there anyway that you could add the pictures back on the 1st post? It is hard to understand without it. Thanks in advance.

BHP

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements