How do I disable the blasted alarm
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable the blasted alarm

How do I disable the blasted alarm

I hate this alarm thing. It's been triggered several times from various causes (that don't make sense to me, but I'm not here to argue Honda's logic). We live in a safe town. I do NOT think anyone is going to try to steal my car. I don't want the alarm.

So, a simple question (I am not looking for any pro-alarm arguments, here, just an answer to this question):

How do I disable the alarm on my 2007 EX?
    - John

1977 Volkswagen Westfalia
    2000 Subaru Outback
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    all great vehicles!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

What triggered it? Mine has never gone off, why not get it fixed?

IIRC, it is part of the keyless entry unit. Might lose your power door locks.

I completely agree that auto alarms are the stupidest, most annoying items ever to be foisted on the tranquility of mankind. That said, I have never had mine go off. So I agree with mjody, you have a malfunction. A common one for the older vans was a bad hood switch.

Re: How do I disable the blasted alarm

Originally posted by jtauxe
    How do I disable the alarm on my 2007 EX?
    jtauxe - On mine, if I push the "unlock" button on the keyfob, it disables the alarm.

No malfunction, I don't believe. I think was how Honda intended it.

Here's the latest fiasco:

I had driven some friends somewhere and we parked the car. It was a hot day, and I left my window down. I didn't think there were any theft issues, so I didn't lock the car.

Later, we sort of moved to another area, leaving the car there, so I went up the passenger's door to open it and lock the car with the button on the door. I do not carry the remote (I have enough junk in my pockets without that stupid thing too--fairly old school, I don't even like the big key) and locked and closed the door, not noticing or remembering that the driver's window was down.

Later, one of my friends went to retrieve her purse from the car, unbeknownst to me. She saw that the driver's window was down, so simply reached in the door, pulled up on the lock knob by the window, and opened the door.

HONK! HONK! HONK! for 'way too long a time

I heard the honking from the distance, and thought, "How obnoxious." and "Gee I hope that isn't MY car."

It turns out that was my car, and I was too far away to do anything about it anyway, so it sat there and honked obnoxiously for too long. Minutes, it seemed. How embarrassing.

I am not worried about anyone stealing the car, and I don't think the honking would deter anyone anyway.

I just want to stop the alarm honking function completely.
    - John

2000 Subaru Outback
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    all great vehicles!

No fob? You have a vehicle with automatic sliding doors and you don't carry a way to open them? What can we say? You arm a vehicle and then have no way to disarm?

Here is how I deal with all the keys. I have a ring for each vehicle I drive. There is only the car key, the fob and a single house key on each one. All those extra keys, for work for the in laws etc, are completely separate. I in fact hate having stuff in my pockets so much that......I carry a purse. Kind of a Swiss Army bag that has everything in it. (never a backpack, they are thief magnets) Checkbook, credit cards separated by type, calculator, cell, Tums, a volt meter, tire gauge, lots of pens, sunglasses, reading glasses, you name it. I often place a drivers license & a credit card in a coin pouch and only take that when walking around. I have never sat on a wallet and can not figure out how anyone could.

Originally posted by egads
    ...I in fact hate having stuff in my pockets so much that......I carry a purse...
    Now we really have some ammo! We'll have to give you a good ribbing about this!

jtauxe - What happened is that your friend simulated the vehicle being stolen. Say some bad guy wanted in. So he breaks the window (no alarm, the car doesn't know the window has been broken) then pulls up the lock knob and opens the door. Bingo, the alarm goes off.

Now if theif expects it, and has put himself in the position to have some time to disable the alarm and there is noone around, he will not let it stop him. But if the vehicle is in a public place, with people stirring around, and he did not expect an alarm, my guess is he would leave the vehicle.

But, there should be a way to totally turn the alarm system "OFF" so that it is never enabled, unless you manually turn the system back to "AUTOMATIC."

I don't know if it's possible to do that. Maybe somebody does though.

- JyRO

I could hear you on the floor laughing when I wrote it.

Factory Alarm Disarm black/red to white - driver door module in door

Factory Alarm Arm blue/white to white/blue - driver door module in door

Typically just a pulse to the disarm wire will deactivate the factory alarm. I have not done any testing on the odysseys, but on most vehicles grounding the factory disarm wire will shut off the factory alarm. But, you may be able to deactivate the factory alarm by disconnecting the factory arm wire, while the alarm is in a disarmed state. You will have to test both of these wires by turning the key in the driver door key cylinder.

EDIT: these wire colors are for 06 odysseys. The 07 should have the same colors, but will need to be tested with a DMM before any modification is done.
    1991 crx
    1999 civic lx
    2005 odyssey touring

No fob? You have a vehicle with automatic sliding doors and you don't carry a way to open them? What can we say? You arm a vehicle and then have no way to disarm?
    The automatic sliding doors were one of the things I did NOT want with the LX package. I can close a door without help from the car. And I did not arm this vehicle -- it came that way.

As I said, I am not interested in arguments. I want to disable the alarm. And I ain't carring no purse just to hold the damned fob, thank you very much.

crx4luke: Thanks for the info, though I am not sure what you are talking about. What does "Factory Alarm Disarm black/red to white - driver door module in door" mean?

Is this documented in the manual?
    - John

2000 Subaru Outback
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX
    all great vehicles!

I carry a purse
    OMG, is it at least something stylish like a Louis Vutton?
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

More of a Swiss Army clutch.
    I don't keep the fob in there. It keeps my pants empty enough to carry keys and a fob. And I never actually carry it anywhere except back and forth to the car.

jtauxe, why didn't you get an LX? They don't have automatic sliding doors or an Alarm. But they do have lock/unlock buttons built into the key.

masterqi
    I have never sat on a wallet and can not figure out how anyone could.
    Remember the scene in Seinfeld where George's wallet is so big that he has to cram a stack of napkins under his other ass cheek just so he can sit up straight!

Originally posted by masterqi
    Remember the scene in Seinfeld where George's wallet is so big that he has to cram a stack of napkins under his other ass cheek just so he can sit up straight!
    LOL!
    06 Odyssey EX - Slate Green/Grey Cloth

Here is how I deal with all the keys. I have a ring for each vehicle I drive. There is only the car key, the fob and a single house key on each one. All those extra keys, for work for the in laws etc, are completely separate. I in fact hate having stuff in my pockets so much that......I carry a purse. Kind of a Swiss Army bag that has everything in it. (never a backpack, they are thief magnets) Checkbook, credit cards separated by type, calculator, cell, Tums, a volt meter, tire gauge, lots of pens, sunglasses, reading glasses, you name it. I often place a drivers license & a credit card in a coin pouch and only take that when walking around. I have never sat on a wallet and can not figure out how anyone could.
    LOL ty for the sig addon

Marketing Administrator
    SVTPerformance.com
    2007 BMW 750I
    2003 Lexus LS430
    2004 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES 150,000 miles
    2001 CVPI 216,000 miles
    2000 Grey Market (Eek!) Honda Odyssey EX Traded in @ 83k Tranny lived!
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis 178,000+ miles 16.85 @ 85 mph 1/4 mile, original transmission.
    1999 Lexus RX300
    2000 Honda Blackbird 1100XX
    1985 Yamaha Maxim-X

I in fact hate having stuff in my pockets so much that......I carry a purse.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements