B2 service for $359.50...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B2 service for $359.50...

Talking B2 service for $359.50...

I called my local dealer to find out how much they wanted for the B2 service, which my Odyssey needed yesterday. After taxes, the dealer wanted $359.50.

But I did all the work myself yesterday. It feels good knowing that a) I used a high quality (non-synthetic) engine oil, b) the oil was the correct weight, c) the crush washer was *actually* replaced, d) the plug was torqued correctly, e) the new Honda brand (unnecessary) filter was pre-filled, and the seal oiled, f) the oil filter installed correctly and checked for leakage, g) the air filter replaced, h) and the cabin filter replaced correctly.

The cabin filter has a clevis (don't know a better word for it) that catches a pleat at each end of the filter to ensure air doesn't sneak past the ends of the filter, but instead the air flows efficiently across the media. I would put money on it that a dealer tech (if they actually bothered to work the glove box down and actually replace the filter) wouldn't bother installing the new filter onto the clevis like it is supposed to be. It took a few minutes to get it straight and confirm it is on correctly.

My cost for the B2 service, doing it myself = $61.85.

I bought the engine air, cabin air, and oil filters from Bernardi. Job done well and saved darn near $300.
    2006 Honda Odyssey Touring RES+NAV; Silver with Black Leather - Purchased on 2/18/06!
    2004 Toyota Corolla LE 5 speed with leather
    2000 Dodge Ram 2500HD Quad Cab 4X4 Long Bed - 6 speed Cummins Turbo Diesel
    1993 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo
    2002 TN Trailers 24' Enclosed Trailer
    1998 Shasta Phoenix 33' 5th wheel camper

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

wow...great saving and how many miles do u have on ur vehicle? I will do the same when the time comes.
    2007 WHITE ODYSSEY TOURING- DE-PAX

2002 EXL ODYSSEY - SOLD
    1998 ACCORD V6 4DR

I wrote the mileage down in the book but don't have the book right now. It's something like 26,7XX.

Nice. I changed both the air filters myself, but didn't know about the "clevis" you mentioned. I'm going to have to pull it out again. Dang!

I've never changed the oil myself and for the bother I'm okay with letting the dealer do it and the rotations also.

AP
    2005 Touring - Ocean Mist Metallic with Black Leather
    + Red "No Step" on Sliding Doors
    + Foam Noodles on Garage Door for Tailgate
    + Scotchgarded Carpeting & Floormats
    + Cargo Tray
    + GutterGuard Protection
    + Splash Guards

I have been doing all service on the Odyssey since new, as it is quite easy. I'll have to admit, I was a bit astounded at how small the venurable 3.5l iV-TEC DOHC state of the art engine's oil filter was. It was tiny. It was about half the size I am used to. Apparently size does not matter in the case of minivans.

I just replaced the air filter with the K&N air filter. The van is like a race car now. The engine feels like it has been unleashed and is from a Honda IRL open wheel race car. . . Just kidding of course.

I use a synthetic blend early on, and now full synthetic. I also use K&N oil filters now, swtiching from factory.

eneka
    can anyone post pictures or instructions up on how to change the air filter..not the cabin air filter..

You really don't need pictures. There are 4 screws on the cover. Back them all the way off, they won't fall, they are attached to the lid. The lid will then lift far enough up to easily pull the filter out. Pay attention how the old one comes out. If you don't, you may try to stick the new one in upside down, but you'll figure it out. But if you pay attention how the old one comes out, the new one will drop right in. Done in about 2 minutes.

The cabin filter is much harder. You have to pop the stopper's off, which are clipped on the inside of the glove box, and pop the attachment of the damper off before the glove box will dump down out of the way.

You must pay attention on your new filter, it gives you an airflow direction and you will want to install it correctly. On the outside of the HVAC it shows the air flow direction to orient the filter media. Squeeze 2 hooks inward and the media holder slides right out at you. Other than the orientation, make sure you get the last pleat on each side over the clevis on each side, so there is no gap at the media ends where dirty air can sneak by.

But the hardest part is getting the stoppers clipped back in position. You have to return the glove box to 'less open than normal' before clipping the stoppers back in place. Otherwise the glovebox will not shut. Overall this is easy too, and very rewarding (monetarily and mentally) too.

RPM
    Originally posted by schafari

I just replaced the air filter with the K&N air filter.
    Do not over oil the filter. If the mass air flow sensor gets a little bit of oil on the thin filament, you may get an error code and the MAF sensor will need to be replaced. They are not really cleanable. Oiled filters are not recommended with newer type MAF sensors.

Paper filters are fine.

I do use oiled type filters on my older vehicles and 2 stroke toys.
    '06 Touring with all the goodies

Ha, yes this MAF sensor filament & K&N filter scare has been around for years. I don't doubt that perhaps some have grossly abused the filter by putting way to much oil on it. . . but if you do it anywhere near correctly, there is not much chance of it.

I have used K&N on my cars for what seems like more than a a couple of decades. Carbs, thru fuel injection, etc. Most have been fuel injection with MAF sensors. This includes recent Audis, VWs, Land Rovers, etc. Never a problem and VW/Audi has notoriously picky ECUs that will through codes left and right. . . Never a problem.

On each one of the forums however. . .this scare always comes up. You are right, don't over oil.

I use a k&n in my cars too. what I do is keep the stock filter and when I clean the k&n, I put the stock filter in there and drive it for a few days making sure that the oil is dry.

Do you guys know what's included in the B2 service? From this thread, it sounds like a few filters. Anything else?

My dealer just quoted me a price of $335.

Originally posted by David
    Do you guys know what's included in the B2 service? From this thread, it sounds like a few filters. Anything else?

Don't forget the oil change!

I only visit the dealer for: warranty issues, recalls, inspection & tire rotation, and most recently TIRES!
    I always have done the basics myself, and always will.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

Originally posted by David

I've got the list, I'll try to get to it later. It's a bunch of "inspect this and inspect that" which the techs probably won't do anything for those.

But the jist of it, the real items are:

B - Change oil & filter, rotate tires.
    2 - Replace engine air filter, replace cabin filter, inspect drive belt (accessory belt).

My dealer wanted $150.56 for '2' (including taxes). For my local dealer, service is a friggin cash cow. My cost, $46.44.

Just for everyone's information, I paid $13.60 for shipping. I split that cost by 8 items (6 oil filter, air filter, cabin filter). So the $46.44 includes 2/8's or 1/4 of the shipping costs. I'm trying to "keep it real."

My dealer wanted $208.95 (including taxes) for 'B.' And basically all they do is change the oil and filter, rotate the tires!

The traditional 30k service, minus the coolant change but adding the cabin filter change. Also a good time to do a normal drain and fill of the automatic transmission fluid.

Everyone,

The cabin filter will normally not sit well at all if you do not utilize the 'clevis'.
    It will appear kinked.
    If one did not know about the clevis, it would appear as if the filter was actually too big.

If it in fact does fit well without fitting the ends into the clevis, then the filter is actually not the 'EXACTLY CORRECT' size.

I have replaced mine twice already, once per year, I am not waiting on 2 to flash. They come out VERY nasty.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements