Honda Odyssey Forum banner

AC Condenser Area very exposed

60K views 132 replies 45 participants last post by  davedrivesody 
#1 · (Edited)
AC Condenser "Gutter Guard" Mod (Beating another dead horse)

I know that this is beating a dead horse as the other thread grows to 62 pages and now difficult to follow:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24117

My 98 Volvo V70 and 98 BMW 528i has some kind of plastic panel to protect road rocks etc. Not perfect at least some protection.

Anyway, stay away from trucks and other cars on highway to protect your Ac condenser!

CNN
98 Volvo V70
98 BMW 528i

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah

I have read all those posts before , I know I am late for the parade.

But I posted this thread to see if anyone knows somewhere I can buy a plastic cover to snap in and done with.
Rather spending hours fabricating something to fit.

But I may resort to the home gutter guard solution:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=205228

#6 ·
GG

I just did the GG a week or so ago. 20 minutes to take bumper off, attach on the backside with small 4 inch black zip ties and reattach bumper. At least its safe until I decide something else to do with it. But honestly, after knowing its safe for now, I may never touch it again. Got plenty of other things to work on! Like my V1 coming in this week! :)

#8 ·
Re: GG

eaglecomm said:
I just did the GG a week or so ago. 20 minutes to take bumper off, attach on the backside with small 4 inch black zip ties and reattach bumper. At least its safe until I decide something else to do with it. But honestly, after knowing its safe for now, I may never touch it again. Got plenty of other things to work on! Like my V1 coming in this week! :)
I am just curious why install behind the plastic panel.

From the other picture, installing IN FRONT of plastic panel is easier and looks as good (and less work):
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=205228

DO you have a picture of your BEHIND panel installation?

#9 ·
It probably looks fine in front. I liked the look of the lower grille area stock and putting this in front changes that. Not much mind you, but enough that I took the extra steps. As OdyBahn said, you can't really see it from a few feet away. It was mainly to keep junk out of there as opposed to doing something that changed the look of the front... even if minimally. I will take a couple shots and post them here later today. It also saves a minute or two not having to cut it perfectly for the front. I was also a little concerned that the movement or wind would scratch anlong the interior wall of the paint in front. Not that the bugs and current scratches aren't there already, but one less thing to worry. All I had to do was cut to length and zip tie. In front you really need to cut from a template or not go all the way to the edges.

#10 · (Edited)
Pics

I know others have posted pics of Chicken Wire, Mr Grille etc and etc. and etc.

Just want to show my $8.00 mod for those who want to save money and would like step-by-step instructions.

Get Plastic Gutter Guard from Menards and Home Depot.
-36" long. No need to cut to fit because this is "BEHIND" panel installation to preserve the OEM look.
-if there is a fine screen, remove it, leaving ONLY the plastic part.
-GG only comes in white and brown. So use the proper paint for Plastic, Spray 3 coats and wait one hour to dry.
See pic 1

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Final Look (Behind Panel)

Final Look.

Not too bad.

Worried about air flow? No Problems! I tested in 110F temp, even at rest, no problem, no overheat, aux fan rarely comes on.

Remember engineers design AC with car stationary and temp up to 120F and no wind: the worst it can be. So under this worst case scenario, a Gutter Guard makes no difference anyway.

Also the Upper Grille (with Honda logo) has enough air flow anyway.

On hwy, there is alot of air flow that this is not an issue.

I have tested this under all kinds of conditions: stop and go, stationary, highway...absolutely no problem.

Another horse is dead....:)

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Final Look

PS: In the pic, the red dots show the locations of zip ties, but in reality this is what it looks like.

Not too bad for $8.00:
- gutter guards: $1.50 x 2...I use 2 to make it stronger against road rocks
- black paint: $4.95 at Home Depot.

Actually this BEHIND install is less work than IN FRONT install because there is no need to cut the Gutter Guard as in the IN FRONT install, the 36" Gutter Guard fits perfect in the BEHIND install.

I use 2 GG to make it stronger...just align the holes so they match (For the second GG, just cut off the excess at the long edges so the holes can be aligned easily).

Attachments

#15 ·
I took some pics but can't find my data cable, so I will look again in the morning. I actually just bought the hard plastic GG from Lowes. It less than $4 a roll and would be enough for 3-4 vans... it also only came in black (I think). I think you bought the metal version?

#17 ·
I like cnn's install. But, I would like to do it not only to the lower grille but to the upper grille as well. I was at Lowes yesterday and saw these GGs there. I also saw that plastic roll and thought it to be too flimsy. I was also looking at the aluminium/galvanized GG and liked it but was concerned about scratching the bumper while installation. But any thoughts on how to implement cnn's method on the upper grille area as well (to keep the bugs and bug parts out)?

#18 · (Edited)
Some thoughts

dvpatel said:
I like cnn's install. But, I would like to do it not only to the lower grille but to the upper grille as well. I was at Lowes yesterday and saw these GGs there. I also saw that plastic roll and thought it to be too flimsy. I was also looking at the aluminium/galvanized GG and liked it but was concerned about scratching the bumper while installation. But any thoughts on how to implement cnn's method on the upper grille area as well (to keep the bugs and bug parts out)?
Couple thoughts:
-the 36" gutter Guard fits perfect for LOWER area, no need to cut to fit.
-IMHO Plastic is better because it is more "forgiving", metal can scratch if it works its way loose.

-RE: Upper Grille: I do not recommend using a screen there because:
a. rocks rarely get up there unless you drive 1 foot behind a semi at 80 mph!
b. Even with GG in the UPPER area, bugs get in anyway through the holes in GG. Bugs are part of driving, regardless of cars you drive, bugs eventually get into the fins of the AC condenser anyway. And they need to be hosed with water at the end of summer (usually no bugs fly around in winter at 30F.......:))

c. It makes cleaning more difficult: let's say in the spring, you want to hose that area with a garden hose.
d. After all, the purpose of these GG is not to keep out bugs (they get in anyway) but rather these GG protect the AC condenser from big rocks.

#19 ·
I bought my first vehicle right out of high school which was a 1991 Chevy S10 that I am still driving today. The day I brought it home I installed black steel screen/window screen behind the grill with zip ties. I have 283K on the truck and my A/C still blows cold air and no I have not touched it. My A/C evap coil does not have a single bug or small pebble in it either. The truck has never had a cooling problem either after all these years. I see no reason not to install screen on the upper grill! I think some of you are being to paranoid. Just do what you think looks good. I was going to buy the MRGRILLE for the lower air dam but have changed my mind because I think it looks to busy. I am going the gutter guard route. Just my .02 worth

:D

#20 ·
I admire all your ingenuity, but I got the Mr. Grille for $98, because I'm not putting plastic gutter guard on a $30,000 minivan, I guess that makes me "hoity-toity"...........:stupid:

#21 ·
bluestars80 said:
I admire all your ingenuity, but I got the Mr. Grille for $98, because I'm not putting plastic gutter guard on a $30,000 minivan, I guess that makes me "hoity-toity"...........:stupid:
Not necessarily... just depends on who you are being hoity toity to! :D Most people don't know if it is stock or not and with GG, even more people never notice it. Everything comes to personal preference. My wife didn't like the Mr Grille cause she thought it made the van look to 'ricey'... and she is asian!! hahaha..

#22 ·
1+

1+

Money was not the issue here.

Mr. Grille, IMHO, looks too obstrusive and "out of touch" because of the metallic nature of it, unless painted black to match the black louvers.

The GG is less obstrusive and maintains the OEM look. In this case, Cheap does not mean bad (BTW if the GG would have cost $99.00 instead of $8.00, then people may say wow, it fits in a $30K car.....:))

Anyway it is a matter of personal preference.

#23 ·
I guess............I did a cost-benefit analysis, and determined that $98 was less than an AC condenser fix $800-$1000.

I've had other Ody owners do a double take and stare at the Ody. I have to admit the silver grille makes the Ody look like it's smiling...........:D

#24 ·
I understand.. I am not saying I wouldn't have done it (would have probably not even asked and just did it if it weren't at the $100 mark), but since she drives it more I asked. But I don't think it looks all that bad... maybe I like rice! :D I even want the underbody spoilers and lowering springs. :)

#25 ·
bluestars80 said:
Well, true wealth is always understated. Something the bling crowd doesn't get. But there's no accounting for taste....we have folks putting on pin stripes on purpose. :D

#26 ·
I couldn't find any plastic GG in my home depot.... so succumbed to getting the Mr. Grille. Ouch$$!!
Anyway, hope bluestars80 is right and it looks like my Ody is smiling (Bling! Bling!)....becos my pocket is aching.

After seeing some bent fins ....I had to act fast.

Do you think this tool works in straightening out fins??
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37892

Any tricks in straightening up the bent condenser fins?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.