Power Steering Pump - Page 19
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Pump

Originally posted by DrD
    When our pumps went (we've had them replaced twice) it was blantantly obvious when they were gone (i.e., no more power steering when the car wasn't moving above a certain speed) - first time was warranty, second time was partially goodwilled - we will soon need a third one (it was acting up, but seems to be behaving now), which I will likely do on my own...

They should fix the steering wheel without question - are they refusing for some reason?

For the brakes, hopefully the recall solves that. (we just had our master cylinder go - massive leak into the booster - it would vacuum most of the fluid in the resevoir in a 10-15 mile drive! I replaced the master and booster myself - problem solved! brakes have always worked well, though)

We've had a hard time with some of the service writers "remembering" things - when we were getting the second ps pump installed, they were insisting it had never been done before! (even though they had done the work) - I had to go and demand that the pinhead look a little harder, then he was like "oh - here it is, you are right..." - at least I didn't have to drive there with the receipt (as I was preparing to do when I called) - I guess with the service writers, some are better than others...
    Well, it's like this:
    They told me to bring it back on the following friday in which i did (since their tech noticed the tight steering).

So I bring it back that friday and they found nothing wrong. I told the adviser to go do a test drive with me and I'll show her personally the ridiculously tight steering. She refused and said the techs have checked it already.

I bring it in the next week and this time, after much argument, they said they will do no more and let the district manager decide. DM supposedly "tests" my van and said its "the best Odyssey" she's ever driven. Total BS. You can't not notice an unstraight steering and not notice the tight steering that requires two hands on parking!

The advisor then says "Your van is fine, if you don't like it, buy another vehicle"

I just walked out after this. Poor customer service.

For those in Illinois Chicago, the dealer is Continental Honda on La Grange.
    Last edited by cdx008; 04-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    07 Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES
    02 Town & Country Limited (also with pwr sliding drs)
    95 Chevy Lumina (with power sliding door, yep, you read right, a 95 Chevy with a power sliding door; it was the first!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cdx008... Honda refused to goodwill my 05 Ody PS pump with 17K miles because "I didn't have a record of (motor) oil changes".

I'm beginning to think this is just the new Honda and their new profit maximizing take it or leave it mentality. Their fearless new leader is axing every sporting model and cheapening everything else. Their engine technology is no longer the leading force it used to be, the hybrids are half baked, and IMO Honda has been spiraling down the cheaper is better trend since our original 1997 Accord. Hell, they even quit clear coating the inside door jams on their new models. From a 19K insight, to a $40K crosstour.

We have purchased 5 Honda/Acuras in a row now and I assure you the next one will not be a Honda.
    1997 Accord SE, Black Currant Pearl/Gray--- finally died at 190K
    1998 Acura Integra GS-R Milano Red/Black--- sold at 68K for '03 S2000
    2003 Honda Pilot--- traded in @23K for '05 Odyssey
    2005 Odyssey EX-L, Slate Green/Olive 74K--- TOTALED by jackass, jumped ship to Toyota.

2003 Honda S2000 65K
    2012 Toyota Sienna SE, Sky Silver Metallic/Black 1K

DrD
    Originally posted by cdx008
    Well, it's like this ... The advisor then says "Your van is fine, if you don't like it, buy another vehicle"

I just walked out after this. Poor customer service.

For those in Illinois Chicago, the dealer is Continental Honda on La Grange.
    Definitely sounds like that service department is a stinker - fortunately, it looks like you have 14 other dealers to choose from in a 22 mile radius! Good deal! (out here, we don't have so many options - two in town, then the next one is 45 miles away, then 147+ to the next one!)

I feel your pain fellow ody owners...
    05 SPM Odyssey EXL (sold...)
    06 TW Accord EX sedan
    07 SGM Odyssey EXL R+N (purchased 6/20/07)

Due to Honda choosing to "lose the sporting way", my most recent choice, just this month, was to replace the Oddy with a new Subaru Forester instead of a CR-V. I wanted something smaller, with a "mandated by me" manual transmission ... the CR-V in our market does not offer this. So, adios Honda (for now?), as I'm off into the brave new world of the opposed 4, AWD, and (thankfully) manual transmission utility vehicle realm!

As an aside, I did the initial tear down of the Oddy p/s pump that oddy5 sent to me. I cannot see anything at all wrong with it so far. The bearing have no perceivable slop, the vane segments are all in fine shape, the pump's (ovalized by design) bore looks great, and the side plates show no wear. The only component I cannot inspect is the pressure limiting valve, as it just will not come out of the main pump body no matter how hard I try to break it loose. I guess it is possible that this is the noise maker (whiner?) ... I'll post pics of the tear down in the near future.

This is interesting because I can already feel stiffness in the 2010 Odyssey with only 6000 miles. Not as bad as the 2006 but give it time and it will likely stiffen on me. Since the pump doesn't have any obvious issues from what you can discern, then maybe it is a design flaw that cannot be remedied, at least permanently. My reservoir has got to be the newly designed one, so why is it already getting stiff at parking lots??

This is more than just a reservoir issue, or pump failure. Somethings up...
    2012 EX-L Nav Black
    2010 Touring White (sold)
    2006 EX-L R&N White (sold)

(Purely conjecture on my part ... but here goes.) Wonder if the issue is in the steering rack itself? I also wonder if this same combination of pump part number and steering rack part number are used on any other Honda vehicles (Ridgeline, Pilot, ??), and if so, are they also experiencing what Odyssey owners are experiencing?

Angry

To the people who's vans are only a couple of years old:

If your local dealer is giving you any trouble at all about changing the power steering pump (or any other part that is obviously not normal wear and tear) - I'd contact Honda USA and file a formal complaint. Maybe file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I know most of the time, these things won't make businesses change their attitude, but corporate also doesn't like too many of these complaints racked up on their dealers.

Originally posted by einy
    Due to Honda choosing to "lose the sporting way", my most recent choice, just this month, was to replace the Oddy with a new Subaru Forester instead of a CR-V. I wanted something smaller, with a "mandated by me" manual transmission ... the CR-V in our market does not offer this. So, adios Honda (for now?), as I'm off into the brave new world of the opposed 4, AWD, and (thankfully) manual transmission utility vehicle realm!

As an aside, I did the initial tear down of the Oddy p/s pump that oddy5 sent to me. I cannot see anything at all wrong with it so far. The bearing have no perceivable slop, the vane segments are all in fine shape, the pump's (ovalized by design) bore looks great, and the side plates show no wear. The only component I cannot inspect is the pressure limiting valve, as it just will not come out of the main pump body no matter how hard I try to break it loose. I guess it is possible that this is the noise maker (whiner?) ... I'll post pics of the tear down in the near future.
    The issue is in the pressure limiting valve...one of the few parts in the pump that are not replaceable ? I took mine apart cleaned the valve and reinstalled. It worked good for a couple of months but is now getting stiff again....I have a few pumps saved up so I may try to farm one back together....

Blog Entries
    Just replaced the reservoir today. $17 from Honda. Wasn't very difficult. Replaced the fluid...actually twice. Runs good now with no whining and seems to be turning ok. Might run one more cycle of power steering fluid through it tomorrow.

Honda replaced pump but

Mine is a 2005, last year I had the service writer bring over a newer loaner van. Told him to leave car on and reach in from the door and turn the wheel with one hand,,, it turned very easily. Now I had him do the same with mine,, He had to use both hands. Mine did work great if the car wasn't idling. And when he sitting in it he would give it gas before turning,, tricky,, I had him get out and do it.

I then called the Honda local rep showed them that they didn't fix it the first time....
    Honda had replaced my pump at 25k miles because of a loud whinning below 32 degrees.

That the fix is now to replace pump and new plastic housings.

I had 77k miles and the local rep split the diff I paid $300 Honda paid $300. I could have bought all the parts for $300 and do it myself,,, so I guess I got a free install.

The trick is to not let the service writers raise the rpm above idle.

I finally got around to my DIY on the reservoir. I had only had a couple times in cold weather on my '05 whine and living in S.FL I rarely get that cold a weather. But, I want to be proactive. I pretty much followed the TSB instructions. I also replaced the pump inlet o-ring which BTW, the new one (orange color) was plumper than the original (black) one. Just hope I didnt do more cumulative wear on the PS pump running it dry for a few seconds during the procedure several times than just leaving the old reservoir in! I will say the PS fluid (which I partially replaced at 30k and 60k) was very dark and black compared to now being much cleaner and only slightly amber now! and the old reservoir was very black looking on the screen.

1) siphoned fluid from old reservoir, detached return hose from reservoir and placed into a large drain hose (old shop vac hose actually) running down into a bucket
    2) ran engine to run dry the PS system. only takes few seconds.
    3) reattached return hose, filled with new fluid, ran car turning steering lock to lock several times
    4) repeat step 1 & 2
    5) removed old reservoir and pump inlet hose
    6) removed inlet fitting (10mm bolt). difficult to get to but can just get it on/off with a small 10mm box end wrench.
    7) replaced o-ring. coated new o-ring with PS fluid.
    8) refitted inlet fitting
    9) fitted new reservoir and reattached hoses.
    10) repeat step 3. fluid looked better but still not clear
    11) repeat step 1 & 2 & 3
    12) repeat step 1 & 2 & 3. finally looked very clean (not bottle clean of course) and I was running out of spare PS fluid
    13) topped it off, drove around, topped off again. and will monitor for leaks, etc.
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3LPT Sedan

Originally posted by mossman68
    Just replaced the reservoir today. $17 from Honda. Wasn't very difficult. Replaced the fluid...actually twice. Runs good now with no whining and seems to be turning ok. Might run one more cycle of power steering fluid through it tomorrow.
    Hey Mossman, what drove you to replace the reservoir? Was it whining or hard steering (or both)? I'm not getting any whining at all from my 06, but man is it hard to turn the wheel at idle, like when parallel parking.

I'm thinking about just doing the reservoir first seeing as its inexpensive and easy to swap out. but not sure if I'm wasting my time.

I know if I rev the engine even a little bit then the steering becomes much easier. I've also thought about somehow finding a smaller pulley for the PS pump to make it turn faster at idle speed, but not sure where I'd find something like that.

Anyway, just curious. thanks.
    2014 Odyssey EX-L Modern Steel Metallic

Other Honda/Acura's:

Current:
    - 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L/Nav

Previous:
    - 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L SageBrush with Olive
    - 1988 Acura Integra
    - 1989 Acura Legend Coupe...Finally retired after 275k miles and 16 wonderful years...really miss this one.
    - 1990 Acura Integra Retired after 225k miles and 11 years.

Blog Entries
    Brightdog.... I just did some research...and many people recommended changing the reservoir. It was whining...then was hard to turn. THis is the second time this has happened. The first time, they replaced the pump....and didn't replace the reservoir. I do have to say that the whining has stopped, but can still be hard to turn at times at low speeds. I have actually ran about 6 quarts of fluid through it and the fluid still immediately turns dark. Not sure what I'm going to do...might try flushing it completely again. Any tips would be appreciated.

I flushed mine with almost a gallon of the little bottles before I could get mine clear.

When you flush, you have to pour it in as someone else turns it full lock (bump the steering lock) then go all the way to the other side (and bump it again) as your pouring new fluid through the system. The fluid doesn't pour fast enough out of the little bottles, so I transferred it to a large plastic cup and poured it that way.

Mine was old motor oil black, and after a year or so the replacement fluid is still clear/straw yellow. (I dip a piece of paper in the PS res. and check the color).

Any other ideas? How does the dealer clear all the fluid out of the entire system with only 3-4 little bottles?
    1997 Accord SE, Black Currant Pearl/Gray--- finally died at 190K
    1998 Acura Integra GS-R Milano Red/Black--- sold at 68K for '03 S2000
    2003 Honda Pilot--- traded in @23K for '05 Odyssey
    2005 Odyssey EX-L, Slate Green/Olive 74K--- TOTALED by jackass, jumped ship to Toyota.

2003 Honda S2000 65K
    2012 Toyota Sienna SE, Sky Silver Metallic/Black 1K

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements