How to put in "learning mode" to reset the TPMS sensors
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to put in "learning mode" to reset the TPMS sensors

How to put in "learning mode" to reset the TPMS sensors

Like many of you, I'm struggling with my darn TPMS sensors. I just bought winter tires + steel wheels + new TPMS sensors for my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. Now... I want to get rid of the "TPMS" light!

What I found on the net is that Touring model (also on MDX and Ridgeline) has what they call an "initiator" that sends a 125 Khz signal to the TPMS sensor inside the wheel to activate the sensor (submitting their sensor IDs). What it does is that all owners of Touring models can rotate their tires or swap their wheels without hassles (lucky guys...). The system only needs a reading from the sensor for a continuous 40 seconds before it accepts it.

Unfortunately... that is not my case! However, my brother-in-law just bought a TPMS tool (Bartec Tech 300 Tire Pressure Monitoring Tool) on ebay that allow activation and diagnostic of TPMS sensors. So with "that" I would be able to activate my sensors (the tool can send the required 125 Khz signal). However, the tool's manual talks says that you need to put your car in "learning mode" for the new TPMS sensors to be recognized and kept by the car.

So my questions, is there is any Honda tech out there that know how do I need to do in my EX-L to put the car in learning mode?

I know it's the last piece of the puzzle because my b-in-l just reprogrammed is Mazda Tribute with the tool and I found some people with similar success on the net with various make of vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I dont know to answer your question.

but i do know this, Honda dealer charged me for $ 110 for what are you trying to do, which is Reset the TPMS.

I watched what they done when they reset tpms on my car.
    what they do is put my car on the jack , they drop all the tire air to less than 20 psi at the same time , you need for 4 ppl to do this and at the same time.
    Then they turn on my car and put drive while in the jack for 5 mnt. so the sensor will read the psi , then you fill the tire air up to 35 psi and drive the car. Tech guy said that usually will work this way. but in my case this doesnt work.

Why ? because I replaced to 18" mdx rims, so the tech guy use that honda computer system to reset all the tire spec to match with my 18" wheel and it works. This process took 2 hour to do it
    and I think Dealer is the only way to go.

they also said when i go back to 16 inch tire I have to do the same process all over again.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L / RES Black/Ivory
    20x8,5/9,5 Work Meister S1 / 245/40/20 Falken452
    2007 MDX sport wheel / 235/55/18 Michelin tires
    6000k HID,PIAA LED white bulb all around
    600/1 JBL Audio,10W6V2 Subwoofer,Mtx-REQ
    Pioneer Avic S1 w/Apexi Mounting
    Full bodykit, Foglight,Window Visor,Wheel lock
    Weathertech clear protection,Floor liner,Hood deflector,35% Limo Johnson Tint,Floor Cargo mat.

I just got an answer from a Honda technician: "you will not be able to put the TPMS system into learning mode without a visit to your dealer".

Here's the link for more details:
    http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...316#post259499

The only way to reset the TPMS control unit is to hook the Honda Diagnostic Tool (HDS). I've look on the net for the fun... it over 7000$

So I guess that leaves me with no option and to do like others: a visit to my Honda dealer
    Last edited by jcdesrochers; 12-05-2007 at 10:19 AM.

I've been looking at the Touring service manual I have to see if there is any info regarding the EX model and there isn't. Usually the systems are similar, just a some 'extras' that are added for the touring.

Anyway, while looking at the wiring diagram I noticed it is supplied battery power all the time, most likely to remember sensor IDs, etc.. I'm wondering what would happen if you removed power from the TPMS module? Would it reset itself and go into learning mode upon power up? It might be something worth trying.

You can either remove the + battery terminal for a period of time, or see if you can pull the fuse that supplies power to the TPMS module (I would try the fuse so you don't loose your radio and other settings). Not sure how long to let it power down, I would wait a good five minutes at least. Maybe pull it, go have lunch, put the fuse in, start it up and take it for a ride and see if it resets. On the Touring, the fuse is shown to be located in the under hood sub fuse panel, fuse #9, 7.5A. It's up to you if you want to try it, you have to go to the dealer as it is anyway...
    05 Odyssey Touring R&N (105k+ miles), Tow Package (self installed), PAX removed (Replaced with EX wheels)
    99 Ram 1500 QC Sport (167k+ miles)
    98 Mustang GT Convertable (75k+ miles)

Late post but...

I have just discovered I have the same problem. New winter tires, new sensors, TPMS light is on. Drives me crazy. Told I also have to go and get it reset. And we live 5 hours away!!!!

Is that what you ended up doing?
    cheryl

Here is some good info on TPMS...and your Honda Tech response is correct...you need to visit the dealer or someone with a Honda HDS.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/TPMS.htm
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

I just depaxed my 06 Touring. The replacement sensors were recognized by my system within about 10 minutes. So apparently that year Touring doesn't need to be put in 'learning mode', it does it automatically.
    06 Touring

All models (LX, EX, and EX-L) except the Touring model (don't matter what year) needs to go to Honda to program new sensors to the van (no other way, unless you reuse the sensors). The Touring model can program new sensors by it self, just by driving below 15 mph for about 40 seconds or so, and that's it.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring
    RES - NAV v4.73 - Silver Pearl - 18" Acura MDX Sport Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/55R18 - Pax Free Since 12/2008 - Spare Tire Installed - 5000K Xtreme HID - MrGrille - K&N Drop In Air Filter - Putco Interior LED Lights & License Plate Lights (Xenon Depot) - Honda All Weather Mats and Rear Tray.
    2008 Acura TSX

So is it possible to add the TPMS feature to a non-Touring Odyssey? I'm considering buying a 2006 Odyssey EX-L, and notice this feature isn't included- it is on our 06 Pilot EX-L.

So, do I understand correctly that my 2007 Touring will learn the new TPMS if I put on the 2007 19" MDX wheels I just bought? According to the TPMS Cross Reference chart each uses a different TPMS brand.

Originally posted by SUVNOT
    So, do I understand correctly that my 2007 Touring will learn the new TPMS if I put on the 2007 19" MDX wheels I just bought? According to the TPMS Cross Reference chart each uses a different TPMS brand.
    It will only recognize the right part so MDX's TPMS won't work. You need to get the Touring TPMS installed for the Touring to recognize 'em. If they all just worked, we wouldn't need the refrence chart now would we?

When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Has anyone heard of or tried the ATEQ QuickSet tool to load the "winter tire" TPMS ID codes into their "non-Touring" Odyssey ECU? I have an '05 Odyssey EX-L, so this doesn't apply to my vehicle - but this is one of the recommended ways of swapping codes on my '09 Accord according to many inputs on the Drive Accord forum. (See attached web address for a quick intro to this $150 tool.)

http://tpmsoutlet.com/at-tpmquickset.aspx

From talking to ATEQ directly, it is my understanding that I can use the tool to grab the current TPMS sensor ID numbers that are currently in the vehicle's ECU. Then you use the ATEQ software to type in your four new ID numbers (say, for your winter tire set), the ATEQ tools stores both sets of data points, and swaps them into the ECU when you change tires through the OBD-II port.

Thoughts?

I have been looking into this as well. I think this tool will do the trick.

MaxiTPMS TS501

The MaxiTPMS TS501 diagnostic & service tool is specially designed to program vehicles that do not have a TPMS relearn facility in the ECU. It is also able to work with ALL known magnetic and frequency triggered tire sensors for ALL vehicles sold worldwide.

MaxiTPMS site

It looks like it hasn't been released yet, but I'll be interested in seeing what the price is when it comes out.

Curious what the price will be on that unit also. It certainly has more capabilities than the ATEQ unit, which can just swap codes in the ECU. I just got the ATEQ unit, and am going to learn how to use it on the '09 Accord tomorrow. First step, though ... I have to get the i.d. codes from the new snow tire / wheel / TPMS sensor package (bought assembled, mounted, and balanced from Tire Rack) read. Tire Rack won't tell you what the i.d. codes are, even though they could simply write them down from the individual sensors during the installation. (uggggg!!!!) They say "take them to Honda to get the sensors activated".
    Last edited by einy; 11-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Angry

I just found out from the Honda dealer that everytime we swap the tires from Winter to Summer (Assuming they are on different set of rim) we need to go to the dealer to re-program the sensors... Geez.... that's about C$70 each season tire swap...

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements