low whine on acceleration - PS Pump?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: low whine on acceleration - PS Pump?

low whine on acceleration - PS Pump?

So, I purchased a used '05 EX w/ ~60k miles on it, a few weeks ago, and I notice a very low whine on acceleration. Seems to only be present at low speeds, is definitely acceleration related - let off the gas, and it goes away - and is quite soft. Almost like the noise you get in stereos from the alternator.

I searched on the PS Pump TSB, but didn't see anything that characterized the type of whine associated with that issue. Is this what I'm hearing, or something else?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I first noticed the PS pump whine while driving around parking lots after a pretty good highway run. I drove it for several thousand more miles until it made the noise constantly and could be diagnosed. Then I had it replaced. It is pretty easy to check for PS pump noise if you can get it to do it while the van is stopped. A piece of hose held to an ear with the other end near the pump will act as a locator and help you isolate the noise. "Shadetree, but effective".

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

so, it is a very soft whine, similar to alternator noise - not the usual VERY loud sound usually associated with PS issues?

Originally posted by ghindman
    so, it is a very soft whine, similar to alternator noise - not the usual VERY loud sound usually associated with PS issues?
    It sounded almost like a police or ambulance siren in the distance.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

The whine can be fixed by replacing the o-ring on the inlet to the pump. It's Honda part number 91345-RDA-A01 O-Ring 13.0x1.9 which did the trick for my '06 Odyssey. Also might want to check that alternator. Mine had a bearing that was on its way out and had to replace that too. If the pump is for sure making the noise, then the o-ring should help.

Yes, it is the pump.
    2006 Touring NAV & RES

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements