Bad wheel Bearing
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad wheel Bearing

Bad wheel Bearing

I had the front driver's wheel bearing go bad on me. It was a gradual degradation that I thought was simply our noisy Michelin LX's. Near the end, it sounded like a Mack truck coming down the road. I have a 2006 EX with 39,000 miles.

I replaced the tires with Mastercraft touring LSR's(rebadged Cooper CS4's). Same noise. Off to the dealer. They identified the problem and said 397 to fix.

I called Honda and opened up a case. I am happy to report that Honda picked up half the cost. I was happy with that. I wish I would have brought it in before 36K. I'm sure it was there, but I blamed it on the tires.

In the end, I'm glad that Honda agreed that a wheel bearing should not be shot at 39k.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: Bad wheel Bearing

Originally posted by NewVan
    I had the front driver's wheel bearing go bad on me. It was a gradual degradation that I thought was simply our noisy Michelin LX's. Near the end, it sounded like a Mack truck coming down the road. I have a 2006 EX with 39,000 miles.

I replaced the tires with Mastercraft touring LSR's(rebadged Cooper CS4's). Same noise. Off to the dealer. They identified the problem and said 397 to fix.

I called Honda and opened up a case. I am happy to report that Honda picked up half the cost. I was happy with that. I wish I would have brought it in before 36K. I'm sure it was there, but I blamed it on the tires.

In the end, I'm glad that Honda agreed that a wheel bearing should not be shot at 39k.
    Glad to hear Honda stepped in somewhat. Wheel bearing life is affected by how hard you corner, condition of roads driven and the most pertinent, damage via hitting curbs hard diagonally, etc.

During my younger years (70's), I drove a RWD coupe and fried sets of rear wheel bearings every 15K-20K miles. Worst of it was they had to pressed onto the axles but it was cheap then at about $5-$10 a pop.

bad wheel bearings

Am I alone out here, having driven well over a million miles, owned several cars of different manufacturers, and I've only had to replace bearings at the 150,000 mile mark? (That would include several of my dad's American Motor "Ramblers" in the 60s).

I would have pushed harder for Honda to pay the entire tab. 39,000 miles for a wheel bearing failure is unacceptable.
    '07 EX-L, traded at 22.5k because of "incurable" road vibration
    Hidden Hitch, OEM Trans and PS Coolers, Airlift 1000s

The noise/symptoms can come on very slowly. I know on our 2001 Windstar, I *thought* I was hearing a rumble/hum at certain speeds for months (around 80Kmi). Lifted with the jack, both front wheels rolled freely w/ no wobble. I figured it was the tires since they were well worn. New tires didn't fix it. A good way to troubleshoot which front bearing/hub is bad; When making a turn at speed, if it's noisy during a right hand turn, it's likely the left front. Left turn? Right front. It's due to the weight and lateral force shift during turns. On my Winny it was the front left. My local shop swapped it out for $250.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by MTPockets08
    The noise/symptoms can come on very slowly. I know on our 2001 Windstar, I *thought* I was hearing a rumble/hum at certain speeds for months (around 80Kmi). Lifted with the jack, both front wheels rolled freely w/ no wobble. I figured it was the tires since they were well worn. New tires didn't fix it. A good way to troubleshoot which front bearing/hub is bad; When making a turn at speed, if it's noisy during a right hand turn, it's likely the left front. Left turn? Right front. It's due to the weight and lateral force shift during turns. On my Winny it was the front left. My local shop swapped it out for $250.

Joel
    If the noise levels diminishes during turning then it is a real indicator of bearing problems. Isolation of the drivetrain can be tested by shifting to neutral to see if it affects the situation.

For some odd reason, I thought the bearings were part of the 65k warranty? I may be wrong though.
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey LX (She ain't an LX no more)
    --Rosen T8 - 8.4" Overhead DVD Player (w/ 3rd row AUX in)
    --Upgraded to OE 16" EX-L alloys, EX-L CD Changer Deck, USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Rear Backup Sensors, Conversation Mirror, HomeLink
    --TO DO: Fog Lights
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

Originally posted by chiody
    If the noise levels diminishes during turning then it is a real indicator of bearing problems. Isolation of the drivetrain can be tested by shifting to neutral to see if it affects the situation.
    Sort of, the bearing noise will become more pronounced when you turn and put more weight on the bad bearing, it will howl even louder.
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by mjody
    Sort of, the bearing noise will become more pronounced when you turn and put more weight on the bad bearing, it will howl even louder.
    Hmmm, my left rear wheel bearing howled loudly going straight but diminished significantly on a left turn....

Guess symptoms obviously vary with wheel loading?

That's how mine was. It was actually louder when going straight. That's why I assumed it was the worn tires.

Originally posted by mjody
    Maybe it depends on the vehicle or how bad the bearing/hub actually is. The 2 or 3 (fronts) I've been through were louder with lateral loading (turning) like yours.

Joel
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Super Moderator
    Maybe it depends on the vehicle or how bad the bearing/hub actually is. The 2 or 3 (fronts) I've been through were louder with lateral loading (turning) like yours.

Joel
    On the Caravan, it behaved like yours, with the Ody, the opposite....go figure?

Either case, the noise was a indication of failure.

My right rear bearing seems to be going bad as well. Thought it was tires, too, but had it on a lift today and you can still hear a slight hum when spinning the wheel. Called the dealer, and he said it should be covered under powertrain warranty, so I will try and get it replaced soon. BTW, only @ 42K miles.
    '06 Sage/Ivory EX-L R/N Odyssey 87K+ miles purchased 12/31/05

'99 Altima GLE 111K + miles purchased 02/02/02

Previous Ody experience:
    '05 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES SBP/Ivory ~27K miles purchased 10/18/04 (traded for the '06)

Super Moderator

Joel
    Joel,

Looks like Monday morning the right front is going to be installed by our Independent Honda shop. I looked at the job today and figured the 1.5 hours at $80 per would be better spent instead of me trying to wrench it apart with manual tools and long breaker bars (plus a lot of scraped knuckles).

Bearing failure symptoms are a noticeable hum at 25 mph and at highway speeds. On a right turn unloading the bearing, it goes absolutely quiet. But on a left turn, it hums louder.

Bought the Timken bearing (USA origin) for $40 shipped from Parts Plus.

A friend had two bad wheel bearings on a new car and had them replaced under warranty (a Ford). The dealer told him that premature wheel bearing failure is often due to flat spotting on the rollers caused from transport... the car is chained down too tightly. He was told it was more common on cars transported by rail. Is there any truth to this? Beats me. Maybe others have heard this as well.
    Mark

'05 Ody EX-L Slate Green/Olive
    '01 CR-V

Originally posted by 3M+J
    ....premature wheel bearing failure is often due to flat spotting on the rollers caused from transport... the car is chained down too tightly. He was told it was more common on cars transported by rail. Is there any truth to this? Beats me. Maybe others have heard this as well.
    Never thought of that. Honestly though, I think the majority of FWD sealed hub failures are due to OEM's buying from the cheapest vendor.

Joel

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements