bad starter?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad starter?

bad starter?

Has anyone had a starter go bad on their ody?I have only 55k on the car.I thought at first it was a dead/weak battery and tried to jump it.I measured at the battery 12.69vdc and when it cranked it went down to 9vdc.So I called the nearest stealership to get it towed.The later called back and said it was a bad starter.Oh btw they wanted 800 dollars not including the tow.
    So my question is has anyone had to replace their starter?
    BTW 1st time poster on the forum so go easy on me.I tried a search and nothing came up
    Dan Sapochetti

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: bad starter?

Originally posted by odyblu
    Has anyone had a starter go bad on their ody?I have only 55k on the car.I thought at first it was a dead/weak battery and tried to jump it.I measured at the battery 12.69vdc and when it cranked it went down to 9vdc.So I called the nearest stealership to get it towed.The later called back and said it was a bad starter.Oh btw they wanted 800 dollars not including the tow.
    So my question is has anyone had to replace their starter?
    BTW 1st time poster on the forum so go easy on me.I tried a search and nothing came up
    $800 is WAY out of line.....

Go elsewhere!!!!!

I own a business and I sleep well at night think that I dont screw my customers.I know that the price is wayyy out of line.I did a quick google search on a starter and for 125.00 I can get a remaned starter.I still think its a bad battery with a shorted plate.
    Dan Sapochetti

I think you just need a battery as well. Honda batteries last about three years. It wouldn't hurt to replace it even if you really did need a starter. However, I don't ever remember a starter needing replacement around here.

Well not an 05 anyway. There was a rash of bad starters in some 2002 vans. And of course they do wear out. But at 55k on an 05? No.

Originally posted by egads
    Well not an 05 anyway. There was a rash of bad starters in some 2002 vans. And of course they do wear out. But at 55k on an 05? No.
    It would appear that the starter would be bad but I've never had a starter go belly up without some type of sign.This car is my daily driver and does not sit.Once again thanks for the response.
    Dan Sapochetti

Here's a link to a thread from another owner that had a bad starter.

06 EXL Won't Start
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey LX (She ain't an LX no more)
    --Rosen T8 - 8.4" Overhead DVD Player (w/ 3rd row AUX in)
    --Upgraded to OE 16" EX-L alloys, EX-L CD Changer Deck, USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Rear Backup Sensors, Conversation Mirror, HomeLink
    --TO DO: Fog Lights
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

Genuine starter for Odyssey is $520. + tax. So the dealer is charging 3 hours of labor. $100 X 3 + $300 for labor. A little high on the labor charge. IMHO.
    2011 Odyssey Touring: Taffata White/Beige with
    19"ZDX wheels.

Visit Eiffel's Place for Quality Auto Service and Auto Repair in the North Atlanta / Marietta area.

Well I got the call from the stealership.The good news that HMC and the dealership will chip in for a remanned starter.Total cost including tow will be 450$.Even though I'm not happy that the starter went belly up on me wayyy to soon.I am happy at least that HMC will chip in 1/2 the labor cost.Kudos to HMC for standing behind something that was 19k over its warranty.I only wish that they had a better warranty on their stuff,who doesn't
    Once again thanks to everyone for the input
    Dan Sapochetti

my litte bro has an 06 ody with 30K. Starter went out on him this morning. Same symptoms.....good battery voltage, only clicks when he turns the key. Tried to jump start, same thing. I can't believe that this is a bad starter?? On a Honda?? what the?
    03' Odyssey EXL-RES
    Sandstone Metallic

Check the battery first.3 weeks after I made this thread, my car had the same issues. So the car was towed back and the dealership replaced the battery and gave me a loaner car free of charge.
    Dan Sapochetti

Almost always something other than the starter.

Batteries these days put up with a lot. Firmer suspensions that jolt the plates, incredible heat from the engine bay; they just dont'...can't last like they used to.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

ended up being the entire positive lead was totally corroded to the point where it arc'd, which fried the starter. Honda paid $100 towards a tow, replaced the starter on warranty, but would not replace the cable on warranty. $250 parts and labor. Fair?
    03' Odyssey EXL-RES
    Sandstone Metallic

Not a bad deal to get your wheels back. Yes, cables (both positive and negative) sometimes do this. Corrosion to cause arcing to fry the starter? I don't know how it would do it, but if it's fried, it's fried, no matter how it happened.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Sounds more like an alternator or ground issue rather than a starter. If the starter was truly bad, then a new or recharged battery would likely not revive it. However, if the battery is getting worn down over the day (or overnight), then I would suspect a faulty alternator or a ground problem that is draining the battery. Given the amount of disassembly they do to r&r the torque converter, it seems totally reasonable that it may be a ground issue because of an error in reassembly or damage to a wire or terminal.

But hey, I'm no pro...
    '07 EX-L w/RES, Black/Ivory
    '70 Mustang Mach 1
    '89 Merkur XR4TI
    Check 'em out here: http://www.fquick.com/DarkBuddha

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements