Steering wheel "locks" when going thru a puddle of water.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel "locks" when going thru a puddle of water.

Steering wheel "locks" when going thru a puddle of water.

I have a 2007 Honday Odyssey. When we go thru a puddle of water (no deeper than 1.5) the car's battery indicator lights on and the steering wheel gets really hard (as if loosing power steering). Afterwards, you hear a "beep" from the rear-passenger side. This only happens if hitting a puddle on the passenger side of the car. We took the car in for service and they said that they have heard the same report from other Odyssey owners but that there is nothing they can do about this. I found some posts on the Edmunds website, but no one has a solution for this.

Anyone experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Stuff like this and a lot of other strange odyssey straits makes me wonder, did I really buy the best minivan out there?

Adjust your belts.They are to slack.The water splashes onto them an then they slip on the pully.
    95 Odyssey 4wd.
    Pod filter
    Cold air intake

thanks wielvel. My plan is to drive thru a puddle next time this happens (shouldn't be long. Storms are expected during the summer here). I'll check under the hood to see what got wet.
    Next time I take the car to the dealer I'll mention the adjustment of the belts to the tech.
    I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

Super Moderator
    Slippage of the power steering belt is the culprit here. Check the tension now as it is not smart to have this scenario happening anytime soon? A half inch of deflection is the rule of thumb....simple to test!

If the '07 is like the other, earlier, Gen3s, there is no "power steering belt", as in a separate belt on the Gen2s. Everything is run by one serpentine belt which means there could be a defective tensioner which is allowing the belt to slip when the water hits the crankshaft pulley surface.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

I never took a really good look at that engine until now. It's now obvious what the problem is. The way the engine is placed, all those pulleys are on the passenger side of the car and they end fairly close to the bottom of the engine bay. Pulling on the belt gives in a lot. I'll take the car to the dealer and have them test for that.
    Thank you all for your replies. I'll point the users from other forums (like Edmunds) to come here for a possible answer.
    Incredible that the techs from the dealer were not able to give me this explanation.
    I'll repost when I have the dealer test the belts.

Correct, it's just one serpentine belt for the whole nine yards. There are no adjustments to make, just a spring loaded tensioner for the belt, like almost all cars these days. It would be unusual for the tensioner to be weak on a 2007, even with a bunch of miles. Most belts will slip if you really douse them with water. I suppose the belt could be glazed or worn. You could replace it to see if it stops.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Had this happen to me tonight as I was turning left at an intersection just after going through a few deep puddles. Scared me all of a sudden to not be able to turn. The battery light came on briefly as well, so I do believe it to be the serpentine belt slipping. Isn't there a maintenance done on the belt tensioner that should be done at times?
    '06 Sage/Ivory EX-L R/N Odyssey 87K+ miles purchased 12/31/05

'99 Altima GLE 111K + miles purchased 02/02/02

Previous Ody experience:
    '05 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES SBP/Ivory ~27K miles purchased 10/18/04 (traded for the '06)

RPM
    Nothing to fix other than to drive around the puddles.

As stated above, no adjustments can be made and all of our vans will do this in the same puddle at the same speed.

Don't worry about it.
    '06 Touring with all the goodies

You will worry about it when you smash head on into someone. If this is happening because of the serpentine belt either the belt is defective or the tensioner is bad. The belr should be checked against a new one for stretching and the tensioner should be checked and replaced. Crank pulley could also be glased or oily.

I would do a test. have someone spray the belt with a hose while turning the steering wheel back and forth. Watch the belt to see how it reacts and if you get a loss of power steering.
    Last edited by William Wiles; 12-03-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

Just wanted to pop in here and say thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread. Our '05 just started exhibiting this problem today, and I'm relieved that it doesn't appear to be anything serious.

I just took a quick look under the hood, and it looks like a pretty straightforward serpentine belt replacement, other than the fact that the room is tight and it looks like the tensioner bolt is a torx. Naturally, we're on vacation, so most of my tools beyond typical roadside stuff is at home along with my OEM service manual.

I'm guessing that the local Autozone will loan me a serpentine belt tool, but I'll probably be on my own to buy a proper torx bit.

What's the typical lifetime out of the tensioner? If it's just a belt issue, I may go ahead and do it here before we head home. If it's likely going to need a tensioner too, I'll probably wait until we get home.

Thanks!

-Bob
    My Hondas:
    2005 Odyssey Touring R/N PAX Free!
    2000 CBR 1100XX
    2006 Ridgeline RTL Navi

Got back from vaca last night, replaced the belt today. Typical serpentine belt replacement ... no Torx bit needed, I was looking at the wrong bolt! :-)

I tested the tensioner per the instructions in the service manual, and it appears to be okay. The belt, however, was showing cracks and such. So, I'm hoping that particular problem is solved.

-Bob
    My Hondas:
    2000 CBR 1100XX
    2006 Ridgeline RTL Navi

HVK
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Nothing to fix other than to drive around the puddles.

As stated above, no adjustments can be made and all of our vans will do this in the same puddle at the same speed.

Don't worry about it.

Don't Worry about it?? I almost had a head on collision with another car because I could not complete my left hand turn after going thru a tiny puddle! Did I mention I had both kids in the car? Do you work for Honda? Is that the reason for your lackadaisical approach to this problem?

FYI, since I just realized I never followed up ... replacing the belt DID solve this problem. I have tested it driving through puddles on several occasions since and all is well.

So, it appears that the problem is at least significantly reduced (if not eliminated) by installing a new belt.

-Bob
    My Hondas:
    2000 CBR 1100XX
    2006 Ridgeline RTL Navi

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements