Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

Anyone have to replace front lower control arm rear busings on their Touring. I have been told by dealer that LX EX & TOURING all share the same part number for the front lower control arm. Dealer can not sell just the rear bushings, but I fond a parts supplier (on line) who carries the bushings. When I tried to order them, he told me that they only come for the LX & EX, I would have to order the hole control arm ($251 per side here in Canada). Just wondering if anyone has only replaced the bushings? I am thinking that I should be able to just replace bushings as the part is the same for all three models.

Thanks for you help....
    2005 Touring Depaxed

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

Originally posted by rustybusiness
    Anyone have to replace front lower control arm rear busings on their Touring. I have been told by dealer that LX EX & TOURING all share the same part number for the front lower control arm. Dealer can not sell just the rear bushings, but I fond a parts supplier (on line) who carries the bushings. When I tried to order them, he told me that they only come for the LX & EX, I would have to order the hole control arm ($251 per side here in Canada). Just wondering if anyone has only replaced the bushings? I am thinking that I should be able to just replace bushings as the part is the same for all three models.

Thanks for you help....
    I seriously doubt the Touring would have different bushings as the one component that IS different is the diameter of the sway bar in front. Pretty sure you'll have to press in the new bushing, something a properly equipped automotive machine shop can do.

Why do you need to replace it anyway. How'd you diagnose this problem?

Re: Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

Originally posted by chiody
    I seriously doubt the Touring would have different bushings as the one component that IS different is the diameter of the sway bar in front. Pretty sure you'll have to press in the new bushing, something a properly equipped automotive machine shop can do.

I have been hearing a clunking noise for some time. When I was changing out the pax to MDX rims, I got looking around at the control arms and noticed that they were worn. Had my buddy take a look also.
    2005 Touring Depaxed

Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

I have been hearing a clunking noise for some time. When I was changing out the pax to MDX rims, I got looking around at the control arms and noticed that they were worn. Had my buddy take a look also.
    This is extremely rare for such a new Ody? Are both sides gone? Do you drive frequently on rough roads? And how many miles on it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

This is extremely rare for such a new Ody? Are both sides gone? Do you drive frequently on rough roads? And how many miles on it?
    I am second owner... 05 with 70,000 miles (true miles, who knows). I have never had to replace such items on my other Honda's (96 TL sold with 150,000 miles, 01 ody sold with 150,000 miles). That is what is so puzzling about this. I thought that the load of the pax tires may be why I am having to replace or maybe I have never experanced this as I have always purchased my Honda's used with 60,000 miles on them. Maybe the previous owners had already had to replaced these parts. Thanks for the input.
    2005 Touring Depaxed

Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

I am second owner... 05 with 70,000 miles (true miles, who knows). I have never had to replace such items on my other Honda's (96 TL sold with 150,000 miles, 01 ody sold with 150,000 miles). That is what is so puzzling about this. I thought that the load of the pax tires may be why I am having to replace or maybe I have never experanced this as I have always purchased my Honda's used with 60,000 miles on them. Maybe the previous owners had already had to replaced these parts. Thanks for the input.
    Pax system is very heavy compared to standard setups but I doubt this alone would contribute to abnormal wear of the bushings. There would've been plenty more complaints on these forums if it was the source of the problem. Anyhow with yours "depaxed," this is a moot point now.

With as many Honda's we've owned, never have replaced those bushings either....go figure? In the end, it seems like your case may be a anomaly?

Front end clunk

I have an '07 EX with 30k on it so far and have complained to the dealer twice that there is a physical clunk when you stop or start out, it is intermittent but I can feel it easily. This last time they had the service manager drive it and he says he heard it and felt it. They examined the front end, they say and could find nothing. Now with this post could there be a bushing problem? We are long trip/road drivers with no rough or dirt road driving so all normal driving from that stand point.

I think you guys need to have your brakes serviced. Even if the pads do not need replacing yet, it can be necessary to reapply brake lube to the parts that move. Honda brakes are known to be loose. (things that bend don't break) My wife's van has had this done several times. Usually as part of the overpriced "service" she has done. Some dealers like to charge extra for it.

Super Moderator
    The OP, rustybusiness clearly stated he AND someone else inspected the lower control arm and noted the bushings were gone. This would creat a noise of sorts. His brakes are fine....

Re: Re: Replacement of front lower control arm rear bushings

I think the Tourings have steel (or iron) lower control arms in the front, ergo they may use different bushings. Possibly that would be the case due to different suspension tuning to accomodate the heavier PAX tires/wheels.

Jerry O.
    UFCW Retired
    UNION, YES!!!
    (The labor movement, the folks who brought you the weekend)

2014 Celestial Blue EX-L + 19" Advanti B1 wheels w/ 245/50-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, a WeatherTech cargo mat w/ added "bumper bib", a ScanGauge II and a nice large basket in place of the difficult to use front console. AirLift kit #60815 and DashMat dash cover (black to beat windshield reflection) added.

2006 Ocean Mist Metallic EX gone to live with daughter and family in Illinois

It could also be a tie rod end going bad or gone bad. Also very bad to drive with one of those.

Re: Front end clunk

Originally posted by shane930
    I have an '07 EX with 30k on it so far and have complained to the dealer twice that there is a physical clunk when you stop or start out, it is intermittent but I can feel it easily. This last time they had the service manager drive it and he says he heard it and felt it. They examined the front end, they say and could find nothing. Now with this post could there be a bushing problem? We are long trip/road drivers with no rough or dirt road driving so all normal driving from that stand point.
    I also have been complaining to my mechanic about this clunking noise. He road tested the last few times and said everything seemed fine. I don't like spending more money then I have to so I did not argue. Although I am fruggle (cheap), safty must come first, so when my father started to ask me about the noise, I decided to have a closer look. Just had van in for oil change, so I asked the mechanic to look over again. Told him what I found. He steal did not see it, until I told him were to look. He says it will need replacing but I steal have time. The big question, can I buy just the bushings or do I have to purchase whole control arm? Also, if tires were out of alignment, could this cause unnessary wear to the bushings? Just replaced PAX tires as they were shot. Bought van 16,000 miles ago (Honda Certified, what ever), and the tires were chewed as alignment was out.
    2005 Touring Depaxed

Super Moderator
    Well with the bushing out, your alignment may not take hold anymore, hence you've had abnormal wear on your previous PAX set. Do get it fixed ASAP to minimize excessive wear to your new dePAXed tire set? And probably a new alignment will be required too?

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements