Front brake job at 32k - cost and is this normal?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front brake job at 32k - cost and is this normal?

Front brake job at 32k - cost and is this normal?

Hi,

I have an 05 Ody LX, bought new, and I was getting the oil changed at my local dealer in the Bay Area. We have 32,000 miles and do 90% city driving (stop and go).

Upon doing a tire rotation and brake inspection they said the rears are at 60% and the fronts at 25%. They say Honda recommends replacing the front brakes at 25% or less, and the cost of the front brake job (new pads + machining the rotors) is $255.

Does this sound normal/right - both the time at which this would occur and the price?

PS I haven't posted in a long, long time..but I am back.

Marvin
    '05 Honda Odyssey LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    That's pretty close to what dealers charge, some do more also. The advantage going there is getting OEM parts.

Interesting they would turn the rotors as I hoped they measured it before mentioning that as a matter of standard procedure.

DIY'er can do the job for about $100 or less including 2 brand new rotors BTW. There are instruction on these forums and it is quite easy to do with a few sockets and basic tools.

I personally haven't used dealers for many decades and do my own brake work....

That quote seems high but maybe that's California. Around here, that money would buy new pads and new rotors at a Honda store. Strongly suggest not turning the rotors unless absolutely necessary.
    '10 Dark Cherry Pearl EX-L
    '05 Touring R&N (formerly)

Blog Entries
    130 at autozone with lifetime pads and 2 yr rotors
    King of Custom Pedals
    04 Odyssey (9.67mpg mix) 27mpg Highway- Go figure GONE
    12 Quest SL
    12 Altima 3.5 SR
    91 MR2

Since you're driving mainly in stop and go, and in SF, where you may be driving in hilly area's, that mileage sounds about right. Cost too. If you want to save yourself some money, do the brakes yourself.

Can't you get the dealer to warranty it with the squealing brake tsb?
    2004 TL
    2000 Ody

last time I did front pads cost about $180, non-dealer, non-oem. So does not seem TOO high...

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by mattd
    last time I did front pads cost about $180, non-dealer, non-oem. So does not seem TOO high...
    So it was done at a independent garage? Did they turn the rotors too? And what kind of warranty (materials and labor)?

All the Honda dealers around here (DC area) use their new, on-the-car rotor machining tool. The claim is a much more precise job that will compensate for small amounts of run-out, etc. They also claim they can take less off the rotor. I think they charge $180, pads are extra. $255 sounds right, considering your location, if you decide to go the dealer route.

I don't know if any of this is true. I do know that my "terminally delaminated" OEM (another thread) rotors were turned at about 21k, and the result was perfect smoothness. I only kept the van for another 1.5k (mostly highway, no towing) so I have no idea of the longevity of the machining job. Also, my rotors were at about 80-90% thickness.
    '07 EX-L, traded at 22.5k because of "incurable" road vibration
    Hidden Hitch, OEM Trans and PS Coolers, Airlift 1000s

Done at an independent local garage (full service, not a midas). I think a one year 12k warranty.

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by Pianewman
    All the Honda dealers around here (DC area) use their new, on-the-car rotor machining tool. The claim is a much more precise job that will compensate for small amounts of run-out, etc. They also claim they can take less off the rotor. I think they charge $180, pads are extra. $255 sounds right, considering your location, if you decide to go the dealer route.

I don't know if any of this is true. I do know that my "terminally delaminated" OEM (another thread) rotors were turned at about 21k, and the result was perfect smoothness. I only kept the van for another 1.5k (mostly highway, no towing) so I have no idea of the longevity of the machining job. Also, my rotors were at about 80-90% thickness.
    Using the Honda recommended cutting tool is the right way to correct rotors. I'm still on the fence on this one though considering the low cost for "brand new" aftermarket rotors though. If you really want dealer sourced brake repair, then DO find one with the proper cutting tools.

Super Moderator
    Done at an independent local garage (full service, not a midas). I think a one year 12k warranty.
    Fair price if they also turned the rotors, though the 1 yr. warranty I hope applies to labor? Parts portion should be longer though. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, that did include turning the rotors. It is a full (parts, labor) one year warranty. This is a local shop though, that likes returning customers and gives small town service.

Super Moderator
    Sorry, that did include turning the rotors. It is a full (parts, labor) one year warranty. This is a local shop though, that likes returning customers and gives small town service.
    No problem, thanks for the clarification. Rotor work does add significantly and I just wanted to make sure the price included that service.

Best with the repair and many troublefree miles to ya!

UMFan866- Price sounds about right, but I thing you should at least be getting double the 32,000 miles you are at. Do you drive with both feet?

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements