B3 Service and have 67,000 miles
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: B3 Service and have 67,000 miles

B3 Service and have 67,000 miles

I got two price quotes from two local dealers for this service. One quoted me $389 and the other $119. Why the big difference???? Of course I went with the cheaper price and even called them back to verify the service and price.

It bugs me so much that the dealer I bought my van from will charge that much. I don't think I'm ever going back there again. I am NOT mentioning names!
    '05 Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res Black/Ivory
    '05 Acura TL Navi/white/Ivory

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Was there no difference in the services the two were offering? Some dealers use their own "schedules" vs what the manual or Honda calls for.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

why not mention names?

I just dropped my van off and got a ride home. The $389 price can be for a 60,000 service that may include the B3 service. The dealer I left my van at is checking everything I need for the B3 service and doing the oil change, oil filter, rotate tires, check transmission fluid and replace if needed (it's been two years), check and top fluids and stuff. There are other things to do that isn't part of the service like replacing an interior light, and fixing the oil pan. Watch out for the Quicky Lube places, they stripped the bolt and now I have to fix it! It was leaking oil and a service station tightened it for me and added oil, but it was temporary.

So far I've been only going by the maintainance schedules that pop up on my console every 5,000 or so. So far, I replaced the tires, battery, and brake shoes. At 67,000 miles, what else is there to do? It runs like new!!!

This is the first time I've owned a car for more than 4 years since 1994, so that's why I have long term questions. I've have leased cars before this one.

Unless you get a detailed list of exactly what they're doing...it wouldn't be fair to compare just on price. One may have a different take on the B3 requirements. I don't think there's anything special required at that point so $119 sounds more like the right number.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

B Service

Replace engine oil and oil filter
    Rotate tires
    Inspect front and rear brakes
    Check parking brake adjustment
    Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
    Inspect suspension components
    Inspect driveshaft boots
    Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
    Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
    Inspect exhaust system#
    Inspect fuel lines and connections#

3 Service

Replace transmission fluid:

What you're likely to get: Replace engine oil & filter. A 1 second glance at the other things, or no glance at all.

Drain the trans 1 time and replace about 3.3 quarts of transmission fluid. That's it.

If the cheaper dealer will do both of those for $119, you should let them.

I did a total flush of the transmission, plus replacement of the transmission filter. It cost me ~$120 for the filter, gasket, o-ring and 14 quarts of Honda ATM fluid. I did it right (drained - topped - drove, 3 times, then drained, replaced filter, topped), for peace of mind.

Update on the van. I had to get the oil pan replaced. I knew about the stripped bolt, but since it was there getting service and an oil change, it had to be replaced. It's costing me over $300. Mr. Good Lube stripped the bolt. I wonder if they should cover it. I do have record that it was brought there. Now I'm pissed off to pay for their mistake!

I think I recall others saying about $140 was average for the B service. And I think about $70 for transmission drain and fill. I bet this dealer is charging for the oil change, rotation, tranmisson drain and fill, and then the inspection for free?
    Last edited by mattd; 02-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements