Transmission fill plug?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission fill plug?

Transmission fill plug?

Just finished installing an A/T & P/S coolers on my 2006 Ody thanks to the generous info on this site. Great site...Thanks!

My next job is to do a transmission fluid change. Plan to do the 3.3 qt change for the next 3 engine oil changes. Question is; where is the transmission filler plug? Did a search and found plenty of mention of it but no specific location. My owners manual doesn't say either. It just states on p.340 "if the level is below the lower mark, remove the filler plug and add fluid to bring it to the upper mark" but nowhere does it show where it is. I could always use the dipstick hole but that thing is tiny.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Mike,

Filler plug is tightly screwed in the housing upper surface. Vast majority of members just refill in dip stick tube using innovative methods. Do check condition of fluid for redness and smell (no burnt smell)? It will indicate more than just the simple drain and fill.

Check out this thread for information, plenty of pictures too:

Transmission Fluid change; tips and tricks;

Welcome to Odyclub!!!

Thanks Chiody. Good link...didn't catch that one on my search.

Chicago boy myself....Dupage county....West Chicago. Left in 1979 after HS. Avid road and MTB'r too!

It's #8 here:

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by mike_fa
    Thanks Chiody. Good link...didn't catch that one on my search.

Chicago boy myself....Dupage county....West Chicago. Left in 1979 after HS. Avid road and MTB'r too!
    So I imagine you don't miss the "cold" Winters for the last 3 decades?

I've been riding yr. round for the last 20 yrs. MTBing and Lycra cladded in sesonable weather....

Re: Transmission fill plug?

Originally posted by mike_fa
    Just finished installing an A/T & P/S coolers on my 2006 Ody thanks to the generous info on this site. Great site...Thanks!

My next job is to do a transmission fluid change. Plan to do the 3.3 qt change for the next 3 engine oil changes. Question is; where is the transmission filler plug? Did a search and found plenty of mention of it but no specific location. My owners manual doesn't say either. It just states on p.340 "if the level is below the lower mark, remove the filler plug and add fluid to bring it to the upper mark" but nowhere does it show where it is. I could always use the dipstick hole but that thing is tiny.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Mike
    The fill plug is in front of the firewall, driver's side, on the top of the trans. I believe you'll see the letters "ATF" on fill plug.

Mike,

I went to the hardware store and bought about a 6' piece of clear tubing. I forget the i.d., but it was very flexible stuff (thin wall). I'll measure the i.d. at home if you need it (it will be a couple days, I'm out of town at the moment.

Anywho, I used a hose clamp and clamped the clear tube to the dipstick tube (with dipstick removed of course).

I have a funnel with about a 1 foot variable diameter (kind of slim) and I just jammed the clear tube over the end of that. Since I wasn't planning on putting any pressure on the fluid I figured jamming it on real good would suffice ... and it did. I cut the clear tube to a reasonable length.

I then wire tied the funnel to the hood latch. At first I poured just a little ATF fluid into the funnel to make sure my "system" wasn't going to leak. Not only did it NOT leak, but I could pour a full quart down the funnel / tube / dipstick tube in about 15 seconds.

I tell you all this because to actually access the transmission filler plug is going to be a real biotch, not to mention getting the plug off ... AND THEN getting fluid that far down without spilling it everywhere. The above tube set up can be quickly used over and over.

Thanks for the help guys. JyRO, think I'll follow your lead and come up with a funnel system and refill through the fill port rather than the dipstick.

Chiody, No I don't miss the cold at all. In fact after I left Chicago I lived in Georgia and Florida for 10 years then moved to Kentucky. This is as far north as I care to be. I do ride year round but when the temps go below 25f I usually ride off road. Your hard core riding year round up there!

Mike

Re: Re: Transmission fill plug?

Originally posted by geronimomoe
    The fill plug is in front of the firewall, driver's side, on the top of the trans. I believe you'll see the letters "ATF" on fill plug.
    this is the answer i was looking for! thank you.

R_B
    The AT fill plug on my daughter's 2,000 Oddity came out with medium effort on a 10 inch ratchet handle.
    A 6 inch or so socket extension got the handle up to a convenient height.
    The general condition of that van suggests that the trans fluid has never been changed, i.e. I took it out for the first time in ~13 years.
    I am NOT a strong person, skinny and quite old, but medium effort with my left hand broke the seal - I am right handed.

Not worth messing with hoses, funnels and bungee cords IMO, just put a 17mm socket on it and be done.
    A regular long trans funnel fits in well, stands upright on its own and is at a convenient height for pouring into.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements