Faulty VSA Control Unit
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faulty VSA Control Unit

Faulty VSA Control Unit

2006 Odyssey EX
    40,000 miles

Yesterday on our odyssey the VSA, ABS, & brake light lit up on the dash all at once. Just got back from the dealer after having it diagnosed. According to the dealer its a faulty VSA control unit ($1203). According to the Tech i spoke with he stated that he had never seen this problem on an Odyssey. Said that he saw the problem a few years ago on a high mileage accord, but never on an odyssey. Anyone here on the forums experience this problem? Ive used the search function but did not find anything specific to this part.

Last thing we need right now is a $1200 bill for repair. Any idea what could have caused this part to fail? dealer has no idea what could have caused this.

And heres the best part, according to the dealer this $1200 part may not even fix the problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There have been a couple of incidents reported on here.

VSA stayed on !!
    VSA malfuction indicator on randomly

Ask dealer to get the module under goodwill. Also, if the daler refuses to try, call Honda yourslef and plead your case. Typically Honda does stand behind their product.

Also, forgot to mention. For the 07, 08 models, there is a TSB for Soft Brake issues which also invovles replacing the VSA unit. So, aparrenty its not that uncommon to have to replace the unit but most replacements are done under warranty.

I think Honda will cover this one.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by dvpatel
    There have been a couple of incidents reported on here.

VSA stayed on !!
    VSA malfuction indicator on randomly

Ask dealer to get the module under goodwill. Also, if the daler refuses to try, call Honda yourslef and plead your case. Typically Honda does stand behind their product.

Also, forgot to mention. For the 07, 08 models, there is a TSB for Soft Brake issues which also invovles replacing the VSA unit. So, aparrenty its not that uncommon to have to replace the unit but most replacements are done under warranty.

I think Honda will cover this one.
    Thanks dvpatel

But i just have a few questions. what do i say to honda when i call them monday morning? how do i got about pleading my case for this particular issue? I understand that honda may stand behind there product but what can i do to bring a strong case for myself? should i expect them to pay for part of the repair or all of it?

thanks in advance

In actuality, it could be just an inop wheel speed sensor. If one of the 4 wheel speed sensors stops sending a signal to the VSA/ABS, those systems will basically shut themselves off and light up the dash. A dealer should have a way to retrieve specific ABS codes pinpointing where the problem is coming from. I don't buy one dollars worth of the ~$1200 "faulty VSA control module" diagnosis.

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Originally posted by MTPockets08
    In actuality, it could be just an inop wheel speed sensor. If one of the 4 wheel speed sensors stops sending a signal to the VSA/ABS, those systems will basically shut themselves off and light up the dash. A dealer should have a way to retrieve specific ABS codes pinpointing where the problem is coming from. I don't buy one dollars worth of the ~$1200 "faulty VSA control module" diagnosis.

Joel
    should i get a second opinion on this? from another dealer? it would set me back another $54 to have it diagnosed?

What you do call Honda and ask to open a case for goodwill consideration. The agent will ask for all the information about your car so keep the VIN handy. Tell 'em your issue and tell 'em that the dealer wants $1200 for replacing the VSA module and also mention that the car only has 40K and a critical part like the VSA module shouldn't just die at that low of the mileage. They will assign someone to look into your case and that someone most likely will work with your local dealer.

Just don't be beligerant with the customer service guys. Be polite and firm. If you don't like the response they give you, call back the next day and again this time voice your concerns about your displeasure with the way the prior CSR treated you but do it politely yet firmly.

If you need time to calm down, don't call 'em Monday. Call 'em a day later so that you are calmer and can be as polite as you can get.

Good Luck.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by saleenssc
    should i get a second opinion on this? from another dealer? it would set me back another $54 to have it diagnosed?
    You can certainly try. If the second dealer can fix the issue and its NOT the VSA module, then ask the first one's Service manager for your money back on the bad diagnosis.

Don't get hung up on the money back part. They might give you a couple of oil changes free to compensate you.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Originally posted by dvpatel
    What you do call Honda and ask to open a case for goodwill consideration. The agent will ask for all the information about your car so keep the VIN handy. Tell 'em your issue and tell 'em that the dealer wants $1200 for replacing the VSA module and also mention that the car only has 40K and a critical part like the VSA module shouldn't just die at that low of the mileage. They will assign someone to look into your case and that someone most likely will work with your local dealer.

Just don't be beligerant with the customer service guys. Be polite and firm. If you don't like the response they give you, call back the next day and again this time voice your concerns about your displeasure with the way the prior CSR treated you but do it politely yet firmly.

If you need time to calm down, don't call 'em Monday. Call 'em a day later so that you are calmer and can be as polite as you can get.

Good Luck.
    thanks for the info. I will certainly call them tommorow and plead my case.

just got off the phone with American Honda. Opened up a case for "goodwill consideration" I was polite and the customer support rep i spoke with was very knowledgable and supportive. Said i should hear back from the review board within 1-2 days. Keeping fingers crossed

wish me luck

thanks to all on this board for your support and information

UPDATE:

American Honda paid for the part ($900 or so). The regional mgr and the service manager were both great to deal with. Always keeping me updated with regular status on the case. I paid about $230 in labor and the problem was fixed. According to the service mgr (who i know fought on my behalf with American honda) the fact that i had a long standing relationship with this particular dealer and have brought my vehicles in for service over the years went a long way in Honda covering the part. Im just glad this is over with and the car is 100% with my wife driving around our 3 girls.

That's great news. Now you can drive without any worries. I am glad I read your experience because I now know about the Goodwill Consideration option with Honda.
    2008 Odyssey EX - white
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL (sold)
    2004 Nissan Quest 3.5SL
    1995 Honda Accord - (sold)
    1996 Chrysler Cirrus - (crash and burn)
    1991 Dodge Shadow - (sold)

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements