Passenger side sliding door hard to pull open
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passenger side sliding door hard to pull open

Passenger side sliding door hard to pull open

I just took delivery of a 2009 Honda Odyssey couple days ago and I noticed the passenger side sliding door is hard to crack open initially. It feels the door is not fully unlocked. I am afraid the door handles will break if this continues on. Anyone have a similar problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I am assuming that you have power doors, but my door handles were/are pretty stiff compared to others I have felt, but both doors seem pretty equal. I took the car into the dealership a few times and all I got was an explanation on how to pull on the handle properly. Basically they said, "pull harder closer to the back of the car." I eventually just let it go since, to be honest, the door handles are hardly ever used. The doors are 99% of the time operated from the key fob or the dash. I am surprised that you said that the left and right door feel differently. You are talking about power doors though aren't you?

yeahh i have a 05 ody touring and i have a power sliding
    door on mine and i tried to open it manually without the power
    and it was liek SUPER hard to open it.. if you don't have a power sliding door i guess go bakk to that dealership and talk about it ? i mean if you just got delievered 09 model i'm definitely sure that itz covered under warrenty good lukk ^^

current:
    11 Odyssey Touring Elite Silver/Truffle 35k
    12 Kia Optima SX Silver/Black 11k
    07 CR-V EX-L NAV/AWD Silver/Black 65k
    12 CR-V EX-L NAV/AWD White Pearl/Beige 4k

previous:
    05 odyssey touring res&nav 122k
    -bought in 05 and sold on oct 28, 2010
    06 CR-V SE AWD Pewter Pearl/Black 72k
    -totaled

Actually, it is a LX “Canadian version”, so it doesn’t have power doors.

Angry door handle

My mother gets in the back seat and she can NEVER get the handle to open the door. I took her to the dealership and they told her to pull harder. They don't want to even try to fix it. My model is an 08 and the problem is only on the passenger side. I know you can open it from the dash, but the handle should work, also. My complaint is that the dealership just blew us off!

That is a bad dealer. Try to take it in to another dealership. If you have access to another dealer, I would never go back to this one you are describing. If they don't even want to look at a customer complaint, then they do not deserve any of your business.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Arrow Re: Passenger side sliding door hard to pull open

Originally posted by midnitz
    I just took delivery of a 2009 Honda Odyssey couple days ago and I noticed the passenger side sliding door is hard to crack open initially. It feels the door is not fully unlocked. I am afraid the door handles will break if this continues on. Anyone have a similar problem?
    I have an '08 model without the power side doors and the driver's side one is always hard to open.
    The problem is the weatherstripping on the body is sticking to the door, that is why the initial pull to open the door is so hard. It really feels like the door handle is going to come off. Some times I have to bang the door from the inside to get it open.
    The solution that i found is once a month I coat the weatherstriping with silicone spray. This will prevent it from sticking. You'll find that at your local auto part store. Spray it on a napkin or towel and coat the weatherstriping with the spray. Works great.
    2008 Odyssey DX "the other Q-ship"
    1995 Taurus SHO - 220hp "a wolf in sheeps clothing"

i recall quite some time ago there was a thread on this. The solution was to loosen the screws on the latch and then close the door so the latch move into a better position and then the handle wouldn't be sticky anymore.
    I'll see if i can find the thread.

Edit: is this what you guys are experiencing?
    How to fix stiff sliding door handle
    Last edited by eneka1; 07-06-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Midnitz...

I had a problem also with one of my sliding doors not opening and needing to pull the handle pretty hard..

At what point do you feel the handle starting to engage the latch to unlock?.. My problem was the latch started to engage very close to the end of the travel point of the handle.. It took two trips to the dealer for them to adjust the cabled inside the door, and after that, no problem..

Originally posted by midnitz
    Actually, it is a LX “Canadian version”, so it doesn’t have power doors.

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements