Pearl or Metallic paint
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pearl or Metallic paint

Question Pearl or Metallic paint

Ok, not the most profound question, but what is the difference between pearl and metallic paint? Is there any real difference?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I was waiting for some one to post a more educated response for what I have to say, but no one replied to your question so far, so here goes my opinion:

I have an 03 Accord Satin Silver Metallic and an 08 Odyssey Baltic Blue Pearl and here is what I think the difference - the metallic paint is seems shiny - like piano black finish. Pearl have these sparkly (almost tiny speck of glitter) finish to it. Almost like the paint off of a license plate, to give you something else to base it.

If you shine a light directly to both paint finish, the pearl will have these tiny reflective sparkle to it while the metallic does not - that's the difference that I see between my 2 Hondas.

Hope that helps....RBRT
    08 EX-L Odyssey Baltic Blue (SOLD at 12750 Miles 14 months $23250 2/13/2010)

The sparkly glitter in the Pearl type of paints is actually little specs of aluminum in the paint.
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey LX (She ain't an LX no more)
    --Rosen T8 - 8.4" Overhead DVD Player (w/ 3rd row AUX in)
    --Upgraded to OE 16" EX-L alloys, EX-L CD Changer Deck, USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Rear Backup Sensors, Conversation Mirror, HomeLink
    --TO DO: Fog Lights
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

True pearl paint requires a 3 step paint process, consisiting of base coat color, pearl paint (translucent) and finally the clear coat.

Honda/Acura uses the 3 stage process only in the white pearl paint like Aspen white, Premium white, and White diamond. The other pearl colors have the pearl mixed in with the base coat. Like the black pearls etc. The difference between the pearls and the metallic is the "Color changing effects". The metallic paints have silver metal flake mixed in that give it that rich metallic finish/texture. The pearl on the otherhand also has the metallic flake in the base with the addition of the pearl color shifting flakes. The paint's color changes depending on the hue of pearl used. If you look at Honda's Nighthawk black pearl closely, it is actually a dark blue. Hope that helps.
    Acura Sales Manager

Vehicles Owned Presently:
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring (Tafetta White)
    2004 Acura TL Navi (Diamond White Pearl)
    1994 Honda Civic LX Sedan (Frost White)
    1990 Honda CR-X SI (Championship White)
    1986 Honda Civic Custom Convertible (featured in Low Rider Magazine) (Magenta Kandy, with Multi-color graphics)
    Honda Gas powered lawn mower (Red)
    Honda Gas powered Power washer (Black)
    2000 Toyota Tacoma (Silver)

same with Sage Brush Pearl.
    It can range from a Dark blue/purple to dark green depending on the light conditions.
    Many people describe the color gray tho.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements