Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Bad Rear Wheel Bearings Sounded Like Tire Noise - FYI

103K views 81 replies 37 participants last post by  foxfai 
#1 ·
(sorry for this re-post due to fat fingering the first title)

In the For What it's Worth column, maybe my experience will help someone.

I recently bought a '06 EX-L with 42K miles - eventually I began to hear a gentle humming noise in the rear, especially noticible on a real smooth and quiet road, and I still don't know if it was there all along or it developed after I bought it.

This car had nearly new OEM Michelin LX4 tires, which in this Forum have had some pretty poor reviews due not only to noise but wear and winter performance too. I took my Ody to the local dealer where the Service Intake Advisor and I drove it and he said in his opinion it was indeed tires. This dealer recently stopped recommending Yokohama's and now recommend Cooper CS4's for Odys. But, I bought a set of Goodyear ComforTreds elsewhere instead, and the noise was still there. I took it back to the local Honda dealer where one of their ASE Service Technicians drove it and inspected it and confirmed that is was one of the rear wheel bearings. For my certified Ody they changed out both rear wheel bearings. Yes, it did fix the noise. Plus, I now have an 80K set of tires I hope hold up, instead of the OEM Michelin LX4

The Goodyears are nice and quiet, seem round so far, feel good on bumps, etc, but I've only had them a few hundred miles. I would have bought the Coopers but my dealer, who sold both, said Cooper was in financial trouble and could go under. !! BS?

So, the main thing I learned here was that these particular Ody rear wheel bearings sure didn't sound like typical failing wheel bearings - they made a kind of low-intensity hum, a lot like a snow tire might make if on the rear. No change in hum on a curve in either direction either - which if it happened would be a typical wheel bearing syptom. My Service Advisor said there has been trouble with these bearings, so Honda extended their warranty on them to 4 or 5 years or 60K miles for all owners, FYI.

Anyway, maybe this will help someone - got a rear hum, it might not be tires but might be a rear wheel bearing.

hhc123
Michigan
2006 Ody Slate Green EX-L, olive, with RES, no Nav
1999 Ody I can't part with - zero tranny trouble yet at 195K miles, very regular flushes

See less See more
#4 ·
Although they replaced both of my rear wheel bearings, like Jeff above the only one that tested bad was the left side. Makes ya wonder. From the drivers seat I could not tell which side the bearing noise was coming from - it just kinda filled the rear of the van. For what it's worth. Got a hum in the rear? Rather than a tire it could be a wheel bearing, and Honda covers these even for non-certified used Odys up to 5 yrs- 60.000 miles, due to their having become a common problem, per my dealer (for 2006 models anyway).

hhc123, Starter-of-this-Thread
2006 EX-L Slate Green w/olive interior, 45,000 miles

#5 ·
I use a two foot, wooden, broom stick handle to diagnose vibration and noise. Seriously, you can try this with your engine for example, just be careful of moving pullies and belts. Put one end of the stick on a suspected noise and the other end to your ear. You can actually hear the noise. I used this method to diagnose a bad bearing in a Honda Accord.

#8 ·
Had the same problem over a year ago on my '06 as well. Dealer replaced both rear bearings as well, even though I believe only one was actually bad. Very strange for this many bearings to go bad so early.

#9 ·
hhc123 said:
Although they replaced both of my rear wheel bearings, like Jeff above the only one that tested bad was the left side. Makes ya wonder. From the drivers seat I could not tell which side the bearing noise was coming from - it just kinda filled the rear of the van. For what it's worth. Got a hum in the rear? Rather than a tire it could be a wheel bearing, and Honda covers these even for non-certified used Odys up to 5 yrs- 60.000 miles, due to their having become a common problem, per my dealer (for 2006 models anyway).

hhc123, Starter-of-this-Thread
2006 EX-L Slate Green w/olive interior, 45,000 miles
Are wheel bearings considered part of the standard "power train" warrenty?

#10 ·
RinconVTR - Yes, my wheel bearings were replaced under my Power Train Warranty. My '06 Ody is a Certified used vehicle, so it has a Power Train Warranty up to 100K miles, but my dealer said these bearings had such a high frequency of failure that they were covered for any used vehicle, certified or not, under a special 5 year (maybe he said 4 yr) or 60K mile warranty, which ever comes first. What I'm not sure about is if it is effective for anything other than the '06 Ody. These two bearings would have cost me $460 to have been replaced by this dealer. They had them in stock. It promptly fixed the noise on my 45K mile Ody and now it sounds nice and quiet, and I can only hear the ECO rumble a little now and then.

2006 Slate Green EX-L w/ 45K miles and new rear wheel bearings.
1999 LX w/ 195K miles

#12 ·
Well, the noise seemed less noticible, sometimes even not noticible at highway speeds depending on the highway surface, but I believe the wind noise plus normal road noise, even in the quieter 3rd gen Ody, usually masked the wheel bearing noise at highway speeds. My defective wheel bearing was most noticible between 45 and 55 or so and on quiet smooth road surfaces, like new asphalt - on a rougher surface it may not be very noticible - but sooner or later you're back on something smooth around town and hear it. I read in another thread from a poster who had an '06 Ody where one of his rear wheel bearings went bad after just 6 months of use after his purchasing it new. That post prompted me to have my dealer take a close look at my own vehicle - and not just having the Service Intake guy take it for a free ride - I did that and he thought it was tires. After swapping tires and the noise was still there, I went back to the Honda dealer and asked for a Tech/Mechanic, willing to pay if necessary, for a good look, and the Tech found the bearing. He said that he heard it as a low humming sound at around 50 mph, and when up on his rack he needed his mechanics stethescope to hear it at low RPMs, but it was there - then once he removed it he could actuall feel it with his fingers as he rolled it. If any of this sounds familiar you might want to get a good check - otherwise risk getting stranded somewhere where it finally blows. There is some kind of special Honda warranty for the '06 (maybe others) for 4 or 5 years and up to 60K, regardless of how you bought your Ody, new or used, certified or not, for these rear bearings, due to their high failure frequency, per my dealer. If you have cared for your new tires now having only 10K, in my opinion they are likely not a new noise issue, yet. This bearing noise is kind of subtle, easy to ignore, easy to get used to. Might be worth a quality investigation. My 1999 Ody has 195K miles still with OEM rear bearings - more like what you expect from Honda. Good luck !

2006Slate Green EX-L w/Olive Interior
1999 Ody w/ 195K is now my Truck
1975 Olds Delta 88 Convertible, 350 V8, last year of the Olds 88 convert
1988 Harley FXRS
1987 John Deere 316

#15 ·
I'm wondering if I have the same issue. '08 EXL with 47k on it. Thought it was tires and the tires were due for replacement. Got a set of Kumhos Solus KR21's. Problem still there, howling between 70 and 80 mph.

Shook all of the wheels in all directions but can't find any play.

#16 ·
My 08 EX-L started this on a recent driving trip to Phoenix from LA. At first, I thought it was tires; swapped between the two sets of wheels and tires and the noise remains. You can begin to hear it at about 40 mph and it seems to diminish a bit at 80 (partly due to other road noise).

It sounds like a snow tire, sort of a low hum. It's pretty annoying on trips. I had a friend drive the van while I rode in the back - it sounds like the right rear.

I have over 60K miles on the van - I've already replaced leaking rear shocks, I'll see what the dealer says (I replaced the rear shocks myself, on my own dime).

I'm starting to hate this Honda.

#18 ·
Tire Noise v. Wheel Bearing

Still (!) have the OEM Michelins at 50K. Their noise as they wear is well documented elsewhere. I thought the noise I was hearing was from tires. Same examples as earlier in this thread. Brought Ody in for Oil change and H Mechanic raised wheel bearing alarm. I did not believe Mech until he re-lifted Ody and performed in-gear test. Even then, noise was very subtle. After Mech repaired one of the damaged wheel bearings, Ody is very smooth and quiet now. I have brought this noise to Mechs before, but tires were reason. Pleased Mech discovered and repaired bearings. Frustrated that Honda would not cover since out-of-warranty, even though I spotted issue a while ago. $350 for one. I did not know the Wheel Bearing issue in detail until post-repair review. Lesson: Put kids to bed earlier and read Odyclub a little more frequently. Thanks everyone for informative posts.

#20 ·
Regarding my earlier post: I replaced the right rear wheel bearing and the van is nice and quiet again. Did it in my driveway, took about 35 minutes.

I still like the van but have been fantasizing about the new Sienna a little...

#21 ·
Rear Wheel Bearing Hum + Power Steering - 07 Odyssey Touring

Went on a road trip to Kamloops this May long weekend and noticed a hum coming from the rear of our 07 Touring with 67,000 kms on it. I took it in to Kamloops Honda and they diagnosed both rear wheel bearings needing replacing and said it would be covered under the powertrain warranty. (Used a stethoscope on the rack while turing the rear wheels). They said they did not stock rear wheel bearings for my Odyssey as they have not seen rear wheel bearings go. They said it should be okay for the ride home which it was. They did not charge me for the inspection as the bearings are under warranty; not bad.

The hum is most noticeable on the highway going around corners at highway speed. Sounds like a winter tire hum. I plan on going to my home town Honda dealer this week and get the bearings fixed under warranty.

Also before the trip we had the power steering pump replaced at the dealer. It was really difficult in parking lots to turn the steering wheel. The dealer said the Odyssey needed a new power steering pump, but there was nothing they could do for me to help out with the power steering as our Odyssey is an 07 with 67,000 kms on it and power steering is not covered by the power train warranty. I said there was a technical service bulletin on it that suggested it could be replaced under good will and the dealer said there was nothing they could or would do for me.

I phoned Honda Canada while the Odyssey was on the hoist at the dealer and explained the situation. I said there was a TSB on the power steering pump and from what I have researched here on this forum there appeared to many other 2007 Odysseys with the same problem. I also read the part of the TSB that said the power steering may be covered under good will. Honda Canada then offered to cover the power steering pump and fluid out of good will after they put me on hold and confirmed with the dealer, but said they would not cover the labour. I paid the $147 labour at the Honda dealer.

#22 ·
i have a 2007 Ody with 51,000miles on it, and i just recently bought it. i am hearing a whine just like what everyone is saying, but i noticed that when i step on the brakes very slightly that the noise becomes a little less noticeable. i can repeat this just by taking my foot back off the brake and then pressing it again.

does this behavior still sound like wheel bearings, or could it be sticking brake pads?

Dan

#23 · (Edited)
You bring up a good point, Dan. One that I was going to ask those with bearing noise. That being: Do you notice a change in noise when accelerating or decelerating? When a wheel bearing is going bad, often times the noise will change with shifting weight on the bearing. For instance, if you accelerate, you shift the load point slightly to the rear of the bearing. Or the point shifts slightly toward the front if you suddenly let off the gas or brake. With a shift in the bearing load point, you should get a change in the noise level. Anyone else notice this?

#24 ·
The hum was more noticeable on corners when the van weight shifted, but still noticeable at highways speeds on a straight stretch. Applying the brakes could reduce the hum. Going in for warranty work this week to get the rear bearings replaced.

#32 ·
Wish I had read this thread

I bought a used 2005 EX-L with 89000 miles. Didn't notice the noise on the test drive because I was testing the radio and talking with salesman. Bought from a Lexus dealer. Noticed the humming after about 30MPH after the first couple days of ownership. Could have sworn it was the worn Bridgestones. So I too went and bought the Goodyear Comfortread Touring($160 rebate when bought on GY credit card). The mechanic brought it back from local alignment shop and said I had a bad rear wheel bearing after hearing the noise. I told him I thought the tires would take care of it but obviously the humming noise was still there. I came home and read this post and almost fell over. Actually I didn't like the EL42's anyway and was glad to get rid of them. Guess I'll have to take it to local dealer to have bearings checked. Bought it from a Lexus dealer at a really low price. Now I know why.

#33 ·
I just had the same issue. The hum, whirring, etc. Thought it was tires since the rotten OEM Michelins had 63,000 miles on them. My laziness probably hurt because I know for a fact this noise has been there as long as I can remember and I always chocked it up to those tires.

I took the OEM wheels off this weekend and mounted my separate winter tire/wheels combo and sure enough still there. I looked the tires over and can't believe how close they had to be to blowing out. The inside shoulder of each of the rears was almost ready to totally separate. I'll try to post pics later but they had grooves(?) you could hook a fingernail in where the tire was literally coming apart, almost half way around the total circumference.

Lesson learned: "Check your tires closely, more often". From the outside, there was actually pretty decent even tread wear, with the wearbars just starting to show. Until I took them off I didn't know how bad they were on the inside of the tire that you can't see from looking in.

So fast forward back to today. Brought the van in for the power steering pump warranty check and sure enough they replaced it at no charge so that's all good. Had mech check for the noise in back and diagnosed wheel bearing and an estimate of $250 to replace. That led me to the web as usual to check what others have experienced before setting up bearing replacement service.

After looking here(thanks BTW), it seems the rear bearing replacement is a pretty simple operation so I thought of just doing it myself. Called to check for parts from same dealer and they want $120 each for the bearings.

I'm not familiar with the warranty on the van as it was bought for my wife and is just one of those vehicles I just drive and put gas in and change the oil. I would assume since service guy didn't offer up "Hey, these go bad all the time so it will be covered under warranty", that I'm on my own to pay for repair? Haven't called to push them or anything yet about covering it, as it seems there are a lot of complaints about premature bearing failures.

So my questions now are these:
1. Did I miss any bulletins that cover the 08 EX-L's that might give me some bargaining power to have them warranty the fix at 63,000 miles? I'm sure they hear all the time how "That noise has been there since it was new" or similar, but it's been there forever.

2. If they tell me I'm on my own, do I just go ahead and do the fix myself and do both bearings at the same time for basically the same cost as having the dealer do just one?

3. And is there a discount OEM parts place everyone uses to order cheaper OEM bearings from? I'm on a lot of Forums, but I honestly don't frequent the Ody Club very often to know all of the common perks. The van just hasn't needed much help yet.

In case I didn't note it anywhere

2008 EX-L bought new in 08, with just over 63,000 miles now.

Thanks for any advice and once again this Forum is a huge help.

Brian

#34 ·

2. If they tell me I'm on my own, do I just go ahead and do the fix myself and do both bearings at the same time for basically the same cost as having the dealer do just one?

3. And is there a discount OEM parts place everyone uses to order cheaper OEM bearings from? I'm on a lot of Forums, but I honestly don't frequent the Ody Club very often to know all of the common perks. The van just hasn't needed much help yet...
Some Honda dealers sell OEM parts online. Example:
Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store

42200-SHJ-A51 is the REAR bearing, about $80 online.

Alternate is TIMKEN HA590151, about $80-90 online.

#35 ·
Thanks cnn.
I checked with Majestic and prices were great but shipping would've killed me to get them here in time. Took a little Google Time and ended up using Showcase Honda in AZ and even with Overnight Fed Ex shipping it was less than $100 for a rear wheel bearing assy.(42200-SHJ-A51) right to my door.

But even more importantly they were helpful as heck and parts guy packed them up himself and called me back with a tracking # 5 minutes later so I know exactly when they'll be here.

Thanks again for the help. Will tackle it Monday morning before it goes on a 2000 mile jaunt to OK Tuesday for Thanksgiving.

Will report back anything exciting.

I copied this from fredericksw's post elsewhere here on the forum. Is this it in a nutshell?

"1. Remove wheel (94 ft-lbs)
2. Remove brake caliper bracket. Two 19 mm(?) bolts (65 ft-lbs). Also remove 2 washers. See above links for details.
3. Remove brake rotor. Remove 2 Phillips screws on face with impact driver. Next release parking brake. Next get two M8 bolts defined above to remove rotor. Detailed description in above post. Make sure you released the parking brake.
4. Remove 4 bolts (19mm?) holding the hub bearing from the inside (72.3 ft-lbs). I used a 3/8” socket with an adapter to ½” and a ½” breaker bar to get the proper spacing for the 2 bolts in front of the shock.
5. Remove hub bearing and replace. The O-ring came with the bearing. I got mine from Manchester Honda for ~$65.
6. Install in the reverse order"

:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.