Honda Odyssey Forum banner

A/C not blowing any cold air

29K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  MEGABURP 
#1 ·
Unfortunately my a/c is not blowing cold air anymore on my 06 Ody. So naturally I come here to check out what others have done to remedy the situation. I've read many threads on leaky condensers damaged from road debris. And so far, I have not been able to find anyone with a pic that shows a hole. I've looked at my condenser and can't find any hole so is the hole too small to see with the naked eye? Will there be anything leaking from the hole? Is there any way to determine if it is in fact leaking without having to take it to a shop? Lastly, where is the typical sight glass for the a/c?

#3 ·
Unfortunately I am the one who had this issue last week. I saw the damaged Condenser and it is just a small dent on the fin which is not really visible when I looked at before removing it. I think Honda’s condenser in our model is poorly made since a small rock can break the fin. Hopefully they fixed in the later models. A/C shops do some thing called a Dye Test if they suspect a leak. Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
alot of posters have complained about road debris damaging the condeser. many have rectified the problem of exposed coils by installing an after maket protector to a home rain gutter guard installed with zip ties.
try a search for gutter guard or condensor protector.

#5 ·
I am well aware of the Mr. Grille or gutter guard fix. But I am trying to diagnose the problem beforehand so I don't waste time/money with a shop telling me that there is a hole in the condenser. Most places around here want to charge $150 to perform a leakdown/dye test, then if in fact there is a hole/leak I need to pay an additional $750-$800 to fix it. I'd like to save the $150 if I can. Hence I am asking if anyone can really see a hole in the condenser? All I can see are a few bent fins but no holes.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I left my old condenser at the Workshop it self. It is not like a big hole .but more like a squished fin. With your natural vision you won’t be able to see if it is really squished or it is broken. But why don’t you plan this way .Take it to a workshop and say A/C is not working so they will look into it and replace it with a New condenser it that is broken.I am not sure they will charge you again for the dye test since it is part of the diagnostic process .

#9 ·
Sorry 'bout that. I couldn't see it either and thought it was just my connection...

#11 ·
Most auto parts stores have a A/C recharge kit that is fairly cheap and easy to use. Most also have a dye added to be able to find leaks easily. Get one with a gauge and it will help you determine if your system is charged properly. You should also verify that your compressor is coming on as it could be something besides a leak. Most kits will help you diagnose the basic issues.

#12 ·
So I finally took my van to the dealer to get fixed. Quote was for $852 to replace the condenser and recharge R-134, but tech rep said he would give me a 10% discount. But since I got my insurance to cover it, he didin't apply the 10% discount (I don't blame him). So total was really $892 ($500 of which came out of my pocket). Now it blows cold as ice.

Now I need to go to Home Depot to pick up some gutter guard.

#13 ·
junkliam said:
So I finally took my van to the dealer to get fixed. Quote was for $852 to replace the condenser and recharge R-134, but tech rep said he would give me a 10% discount. But since I got my insurance to cover it, he didin't apply the 10% discount (I don't blame him). So total was really $892 ($500 of which came out of my pocket). Now it blows cold as ice.

Now I need to go to Home Depot to pick up some gutter guard.
Just curious, how did you get your insurance to cover this?

#15 ·
Last time I installed the mask, I could see a couple of parts of the gutterguard have been ripped. That shows that it is well worth the time to install some form of protection on that lower opening.
I am sure my condenser was saved more than once. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.