2005 Crankshaft Pulley Failure
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Crankshaft Pulley Failure

Thumbs down 2005 Crankshaft Pulley Failure

First of all hi to the club.

I have 2005 and a few days ago we heard strange sound from the engine compartment. It turned out that the harmonic balancer is wobbling all over the place. The car has only 54K miles!

So the question I guess is what should I expect from Honda with such low milage and such catastrophic failure? Any suggestions on fixing it myself or should I take it to the dealer.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Why not take it to a dealer first and see what they will do for you? Have you owned the van since new? Do you have a dealer that you use regularly? If they deny any responsibility, then plan from there. This seems like a clear case of a manufacturing defect.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

Yes, I have owned it since new. I do not have a regular dealer that I go to since I do all the scheduled maintenance myself. I did call the dealer and they are claiming that this is an isolated instance and that they will not cover the repair. So I guess I will have to give it a shot.

Thanks!

The part is easy to get to via the wheel well. You may need an impact wrench to get the nut loose. I doubt they would charge more than an hour labor to change it.
    06 EX-L R&N
    RL wheels

POWERTRAIN WARRANTY???? I THINK 5/60K OR 6/60K WOULD HAVE TO CHECK

A few hints from the shop manual to r&r the crank pulley:
    • Don't use an impact wrench on the bolt. Use a heavy duty breaker bar along with a special holding tool to immobilize the crankshaft.
    • Clean all the surfaces carefully before assembly so the new pulley turns true
    • Lube the bolt threads and also the surface between the bolt and the washer before assembly
    • Torque the bolt to 181 foot/pounds
    That's for 2002, but I imagine the 2005 would be the same.

Some Odyclub members have secured a breaker bar on the chassis then kicked the starter to remove the bolt. Check out timing belt threads for details.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

Thanks for the info! It's gonna be another week or so before I get to it. I'll post the results as soon as I am done.

harmonic balancer

My Ody 06 Lx with 55K had the same problem. Balancer separated from the ring that touches the belt. When I called my local (regular) dealer they said they will not pay for anything since we are over the miles (even though we are still within 3 years)... The only way the dealer could help us out (get reimbursed by Honda Motor co) is if a 'campaign' were started for this problem. Is a campaign similar to a case inside our domestic auto companies?

Does anyone have any idea how to start one with the mfg? It is obviously a problem when I call my dealer and his parts man says he just did one last week and that was NOT his first time to replace one. Thanks.
    kj

Chalk up another failure for the '05... 57K miles on my EX.

I did have a little warning before it came apart. For 3 days prior it'd make a very quick belt-like squeak right at startup (and no other time). I assumed it was the belt since the weather was starting to get colder...

I found the replacement (13810-RJA-003) for $120 online, but the dealer could get next-day for $170 so I went that route. Unfortunately they didn't get it the next day so I have to wait through the weekend.

we had a strange sound this weekend that sounded like the power steering pump was humming loudly. Quieted down after warming up. My wife said it sounded like a weed whacker.

With the various issues we appear to be experiencing at 70k, we want to get it in asap.
    Chris
    '05 Ody EX-L Res/Nav - Silver/Grey
    '00 Volvo V70 XC, Koni yellows, TME springs
    '11 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, Polestar+ tune.

kdjsfmy;
    How are you over mileage????? The 06 has a 3/36k bumper to bumper (actually its a bit more miles because of the speedometer lawsuit) AND the best part for you is that it has a 5 year / 60K engine / drivetrain warranty. I would thing that the harmonic balancer is part of the engine????

The 05's only had the 3/36k warranty.... No extended engine/drivetrain.

Hope this helps!

Tom
    2006 OceanMist EX-L

Chalk us up as another harmonic balancer failure. 05 with 87K on the clock - no previous symptoms noted. Replaced the serpentine belt 5 K miles ago due to intermittent squeal/observed cracking.

Our piece of joy came on a local trip - my wife reported smoke signals + funny running, stopped car after steering got heavy. Found outer ring of the balancer on the ground, but the belt was still largely in place. Had the car flat-bedded to dealer, had them do timing belt service - which was kind of due with time - but obviously, not for 20K miles.
    05 EX-L, Ocean Mist (BlueBelle)
    08 Camry Hybrid, Silver (Hal-le)

cnn
    Does anyone know the EXACT cause of Crank Pulley failure?
    Is it rubber separation for the PN 13810-RJA-003?
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

cnn
    Note that PN 13810-RJA-003 is used in Honda Accord, Pilot, Odyssey, Rideline etc.
    So this issue of rubber separation has been discussed many times in different forums.

I just google "Honda crank pulley failure", sure enough quite a few threads.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=276331

Some people go with aftermarket pulley, which is a single piece of metal, has anyone tried this?

cnn
    Watch this video, the youtube person said after the pulley wobbling happens, the pulley separation happens a week later!
    So, check your crank pulley on and off.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements