Location of Grounding Strap
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Location of Grounding Strap

Location of Grounding Strap

My 2010 Odyssey (two months old) won't start. The manual says to connect negative jumper to the grounding strap. The drawing in the manual is terrible. Where is the grounding strap?

Here's a photo of what I think is the grounding strap. Can someone tell me where in this photo the grounding stap is located? Is it the copper piece I numbered as 1? I numbered a few other pieces as well.

Odyssey Engine: grounding strap area
    Last edited by owlbay; 02-28-2010 at 02:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Just connect it to the negative terminal on the battery and see. It might be your battery as they're known to be weak right from the start.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

You say to connect to the negative terminal "and see". May I ask, see what? The manual says not to connect it to anything but the ground strap? Is the ground strap a cable, a piece of metal, a piece of plastic?

You're trying to jump the van. Right? Connect +ve of the jumper cable to the +ve of the battery and -ve of the jumper cable to the -ve of the battery. I have jumped my van 2 times when I lost the battery and didn't have any issues. So, I am saying connect to the battery's -ve and see if you can fire up the van using the jump.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Its the big copper wire blob in the middle as shown in the owner's manual but I still stand by my original statement to just connect it to the -ve terminal of the battery. The -ve terminal of the battery runs to that strap over there any way.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Thank you dvpatel. The car is new so I am still hypercareful with it and am resistant to following anything but the user manual instructions. I put up another photo with numbered pieces. Is the copper colored long round pair of pieces on the left-middle the grounding strap? Doesn't look like a strap.

You are correct. Its #1 in your new picture. The grounding strap is not really a "strap" per say but a thick copper wire grounded to the chasis. The two circular thingies are the pin (with a hole on one side) that is crimped on to the copper wire. The pin (or some might say the post) is then bolted on to the chasis.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Which post (copper covered crimped metal) do I put the jumper clasp on?

Yes. There's only one crimped copper wire that I can see in your picture.

This is precisely why it is much much easier to just jump the car by using the two battery terminals.

alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Oh, I see. It's one piece that wraps around the wire from each side of the wire. It looks like two tubes on one side and one piece of cooper colored material (not quite metal, or cheap metal) on the other side. Do I put the jumper clip on the copper wire itself or on the copper colored piece that grabs onto it and attaches it to the car?

Please ar the very least get someone with a little more knowlege to assist you in what tou are doing. If you connect it wrong you can do severe damage to the van and cause an explosion of the battery. The correct way to jumper is to connect the + lead to the battery first and then connect the negative leat to some metal part of the van away from the battery. This is because the battery could be offgassing and can explode from the spark from the connection of the second lead.

Reading this thread leads me to believe you should not be trying this without supervision. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have seen the results of an exploding battery.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements