Taillight has Water in side. - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taillight has Water in side.

Got the dealer to provide a "good will fix" for something they should have done when I brought the Ody in for the right tailgate light...I am happy..$5 out of pocket plus my time better than me having to do it. Vehicle was 4 months out of warranty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I see people driving around with water sloshing in their tail lights all the time (it rains a lot in BC) and sometimes their head lights too. Solution: either drill a hole at the lowest point in the chamber, or pull it out, empty it, and re-seal it with some sort of silicone - this will allow you to pull it apart again should you need to - or use those sticky foam strips. If the headlights are not sealed, drilling a hole is not a problem. If they are sealed, then there is a problem with them if water is getting in: replace.
    I don't care if your vehicle is brand new, drill a hole. Better than getting a short circuit in the wiring and blowing fuses, etc. You can also drill a hole in your tailgate, through the sheet metal if necessary. Tailgates are supposed to have drain holes so most likely it has become plugged up - look for where and clear it. All body panels allow water to flow through, and nothing in a vehicle stays perfectly dry. If you are concerned about rust (after drilling metal) then primer/paint it. If you can put the hole in a plastic area instead, choose that option.
    And do yourself a favor once in a while and park your vehicle somewhere it can dry out completely during the winter. Vacuum all carpets with a wet vac to get out moisture from snow & rain to keep mildew at bay - and always run your heater, even on low. Place a moisture absorber in closed areas like your trunk.

I have a 2010 and there is about 3/4 inch of water in the inner taillight down at the bottom.

Question is I see the Tsb covers 2008 and 2009. Did they change the manufacturing on the 2010 to avoid "excess body sealer" or is it the same.

Also I am not clear is this something they will cover under warranty or is a TSB just a guideline but the customer pays if they want the fix?

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    I have a 2010 and there is about 3/4 inch of water in the inner taillight down at the bottom.

Question is I see the Tsb covers 2008 and 2009. Did they change the manufacturing on the 2010 to avoid "excess body sealer" or is it the same.

Also I am not clear is this something they will cover under warranty or is a TSB just a guideline but the customer pays if they want the fix?
    Got my dealer to do a goodwill fix for free. Now I have a metallic rattling sound coming from the tailgate. They must not have tightened something or left one of their tools in there.

ok. I tackled the job of removing both my tail lights yesterday on my 2010 odyssey. One of them had water in it. I removed the water and dried out the lens. The seal is weak in my opinion. It consists of a single piece of deteriorating foam gasket. I can see how easily this would fail over time. This is what I did:
    1. Make a new gasket by cutting one out of a thin rubber sheet (from auto parts store) using the original one as a template.
    2. Place the new rubber gasket followed by the foam one on the back of the lens
    3. Run a large bead of clear silicone caulking behind the flange on top of the lens
    4. Repeat for the other lens
    5. Reassemble the lens and hatch trim
    So i washed the vehicle today and hosed the tailgate and rear lenses for several minutes. Not one drop. My dealer wanted $300 just for both lenses not including labour. The TSB calls for trimming off the seam sealer and then replace with new base gaskets. If it's the same crappy foam gasket, this problem will recur in my opinion. Take it for what it's worth but I think my fix is more permanent.

My wife discovered water in the liftgate taillight lense (2010) when water dripped on the grocery store helper loading her car. The TSB for 2008-2009 cites "Excess body seam sealer" as the cause. On the 2010, they did not put seam sealer in the location that the TSB says to remove it. Obviously that is not the problem since ours still leaked. Since I do things myself (retired now so it's even easier to have time), I didn't push the service manager on this. He is usually up on things that typically happen, but I believe had not seen this on 2010 (and very little on the other years). I think woha's solution of making new gaskets is a good one. I ordered new gaskets (about $15 a piece--too much!) and am debating whether to use silicone as well. The service manage thought the light assembly might be leaking at a seam, but I doubt it. I'm a wind instrument player and used to blowing/sucking to see if things leak. I think I'll try this, but will have to take off the backup light socket mounting assembly first.

I have a 2010 Odyssey and just noticed this problem on the passenger right side rear back up light. I took it to the dealer and even though there are no cracks, they said they need to order a new assembly ($240) AND pay $180 in labor to repair. I didn't see this thread until after I dropped off, but will check this site in the future for any other problems. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

My tailgate was collecting water also. After unsuccessfully searching for the source I drilled three holes evenly spaced in the bottom of the tailgate, found my touch up paint and made sure the holes were thoroughly coated inside and out, it worked perfectly,

Mine is '06 and it fls up with water all the time. But, I noticed that it drains from the holes in the corners of the liftgate when I open it. Haven't drilled any extra holes it it though.

My 08' Touring has the same problem. The taillight on the right side has water inside.
    2008 Odyssey Touring, Tafetta White, Nav and RES

Today we discovered we have water in our left tail light lens of our 2008 Odyssey. It has not been a week since we finally got the battery draw fixed. I told the person who helped my husband that I wondered what would go wrong next. It seems as soon as we get one problem solved another comes up. Thanks EE4Life for posting the link.

Michele

My Ody was rear ended back in 2011 and a new tailgate was installed. A few years later I ran into this problem but applied the service bulletin myself. It's pretty easy to do. The hardest part, in my opinion, is getting the plastic tailgate handle cover off. After that it's just a matter of pulling the snaps out.

I actually rinsed my tail light out after removing it to get the dirt out of it. That took a bit of doing to get all the water out of it. It gets in different areas and has to be moved certain directions to get the water out. I then dried it out with compressed air. I did end up with a little bit of corrosion in the bottom of the white reverse light portion but didn't bother with replacing the tail light. If I would have addressed it when I first saw it I probably could have avoided the corrosion in the bottom of the reflecting material.

@Robert Larson Keep it all in perspective, though. This is a 9 year old van now and water in tail lights is not a problem that only the Odyssey has. I've seen MANY vehicles with water in the tail lights. Your last problem was due to someone working on the vehicle who didn't know what they were doing and hacked the key cylinder switch back together and either damaged it or just didn't replace it when it should have been replaced. That small thing caused a fairly big problem.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

You are right John. We have only bought used vehicles in the last 46 years and this one has had the most problems and it seems when one problem gets solved another one comes up. Just frustration talking. However we are in the market for a used vehicle to replace the one with the transmission problem and we are hoping to get a used CRV. My sister has one and she loves it. Actually since our van was purchased in December of 2008 it is only 8 years old - the first owner put on 165,000 miles in 6 1/2 years.

I think there is some corrosion on the silver back part where the white (clear) lens is as I can see black where the silver paint came off. Thanks for the hint about using compressed air to dry the inside. I have no idea how long the water has been in the light but I only noticed it a week ago while putting things in the back. Any hints on getting the plastic tailgate handle off? I imagine Bob is going to wait until he finds a car to replace his since Saturdays are now taken up with car shopping.

The key switch is still a mystery to me. The original owner had that van serviced like every other month at the Honda dealer where he bought it except for 2 times it was serviced at a Ford dealership. We called We called both dealerships to see if a timing belt was done and the Ford dealership told us the work done on it was done in the body shop but didn't say what. Carfax only said "vehicle serviced". I suspect it was the Ford dealership that did it. The windows did not start rolling down by themselves until about 10 months later. Thanks again for all you help. He literally could not have done it without you and because you saved us so much money we have a little more to spend on Bob's car.

Well, it all makes sense to me. It explains why you had that problem and that I've never seen anyone else post a problem with the key cylinder switch. Body shops, even dealership body shops, are notoriously bad for doing things like your hacked key cylinder repair. They have $5/hr kids putting the vehicles back together after repairs and often they break stuff and don't want to admit it. Maybe the broke three things yesterday and know they're going to get fired today if they break something else. Then they try to repair it themselves or hide it, and knowing nothing about proper repair, they hack it. Too bad since that switch only cost $15 and would have prevented a major problem down the road.

The TSB for the water in the tailgate repair is pretty clear and not difficult. It has you use some touch up paint which I used but only because I had it already. If you don't have touch up paint I wouldn't worry about it. As for the handle cover, you just have to carefully use a screwdriver or plastic pry tool to get it off. It's a little tough to get off but you won't break it.

As for the black around the bottom of the tail light that you think is rust I'd say you're probably right. I had the same rust and just recently repaired it. On some tailgates, not all, the edge of the tail light sits up against the body and rubs through the paint. My tailgate was replaced after a minor rear end collision some years ago and it only happened on the new tailgate. I did the TSB which stopped the water from getting in the tailgate but the tail light still was rubbing on the body. To solve that problem I used a larger socket (like 12mm or 14mm) with an extension and a hammer, put it over the lower tail light mounting studs on the inside of the tailgate and gave it a few good hits with the hammer. This pushed the mounting holes out a millimeter or so, just enough to push the bottom edge of the tail light away from the body just slightly. Don't go overboard, just pound it out ever so slightly just to move the tail light off the surface of the tailgate.

Once that was done, I sanded down the rust, use a little primer and some touch up paint to stop further rust.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Here's a good video on how to remove the rear panels on the hatch.

2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12