Taillight has Water in side.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taillight has Water in side.

Taillight has Water in side.

From last rain I found my Right Side Taillight has water inside. So I started searching on TSB and found following TSB . I have 41k miles on it.

TSB #09-080 - Water in the Inner Taillights in the Tailgate
    Applies To: 2008–09 Odyssey – ALL

So today when I went to dealer he said it won't be covered under warranty though I have extended warranty and the bill was huge (estimated $300) . I called Honda Care myself and asked in detail and came to know that it's not covered as inside trim, outside trim , bodyparts are not covered in extended warranty.

Is there anybody who has got this TSB done out of warranty without any charges. ?

Thanks
    --
    MC1973

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

MC1973 - I read the TSB, and it sounds like Honda is not saying the tail lights itself are actaully leaking. Instead there is excess sealant on the top side of the tail gate that is allowing water to flow to the back of the light.

If the tail lights itself is truly not leaking (which I think is the case), you can do this fix yourself very easily and spending no money on it. Pull the light out as per the TSB instruction, then remove the extra sealant on the tail gate.

For the water in the tail light, remove the entire light assembly and remove the bulbs. shake as much water out as you can through the bulb hole. Now using a hair dryer, blow warm/hot air into the bulb hole and let the water evaporate. After most water are gone, just leave it out in the open for several hours or put it out in the sun for several hours until all water is gone. Now reassemble everything back together. If you are still paranoid that the tail light is leaking, you can put a bead of silicone around the edge of the tail light. All this requires a little elbow grease but cost nothing.
    2008 Odyssey EX - white
    2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL (sold)
    2004 Nissan Quest 3.5SL
    1995 Honda Accord - (sold)
    1996 Chrysler Cirrus - (crash and burn)
    1991 Dodge Shadow - (sold)
    Hidden Content

At least you only have water in one of your taillights. Our '06 had water in all 4 pieces and it took 3 trips to the dealer before they would replace them. Lucky for me it was done under warranty. The first 2 times I went there 2 different service advisors said that the taillights were not sealed and they do get water in them. I told them I have never heard of any tailight or headlight on any car that wasn't sealed. They told me to keep an eye on it. What a joke, I took it back a third time and talked to the service manager and as soon as he looked at them he set up an appointment to have them all changed out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

ody2ody- Thanks for your advice. I will open up tailgate to fix it up sometime in sunny weekend.

Thanks again.
    --
    MC1973

Thanks everyone for valuable inputs. I did cleaned up tailights myself and even after some rains no water got inside. Looks like i saved some dollars

Thanks again.

--
    MC1973

Has anybody had water inside their "TAILGATE"? My 2006 Honda Odyssey was parked at the Chicago OHare airport remote parking lot for two weeks and when we got back discovered that water has built up inside the tailgate. When I open the tailgate, water comes out of the latch hardware on the inside of the tailgate. I haven't started taking things apart yet...but might do that tomorrow if I have time. What's odd is that it's never parked in a garage even at home and this is the first time I've ran across this issue. PS: None of the windows roll down except for the driver side now too, (it's not the window lock on the driver side door controls).

Yep on my 2005. I haven't taken the tailgate apart yet to find the source.
    2005 Odyssey, 2003 F350 7.3L

I removed the three plastic access panels this weekend and found no water to be left inside the tailgate. I guess I got it all out. I'll be ordering a new driver side door window control panel soon to fix the passenger/rear window rollup fix though.

I had all 4 pieces of the taillights replaced under warranty almost 2 years ago and then today I noticed that there is water in all 4 pieces again. Having a closer look from the inside, the bulbs are not 100% sealed in the bulb socket. There is a couple of small gaps between the tailight socket and the bulb itself where you can actually see inside the tailight. Could this be causing the problem of moisture getting into the tailights? Could it be condensation from the cold outside and the heater on inside the vehicle in the winter time? I can actually see droplets of water inside the lens on all 4 pieces.
    Last edited by jackrabbit000; 02-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.

I'm dealing with this right now. The bulbs shouldn't need to be sealed as the front bulbs are because it's inside an interior panel. The real problem is the foam that forms the seal between the taillight assembly and the tailgate body. It gets covered in dirt and other junk and loses the seal.

I have a brand new driver side taillight for sale, if everyone interested in it let me know, you can also explore it in classifieds, it fits 2005-07 models, that fit on the door.

2006 Honda Odyssey tailgate full of water

I also have a 2006 Honda Odyssey and have parked it in my garage until the last few months. Now my tailgate is filling with water. Does anyone know how we report this to Honda it definatley seems like a defect! Any instructions on how I might fix it myself?

Hi all, new to the site so this is my first post. I have 2010 Ody which had the tailgate brakelight water issue in the passenger side which was covered under warranty by Honda back in June just as the warranty was running out on an LX model with 21,00 miles. Now I have the same problem on the drivers side where water is gettinginot the tailgate brake light assembly. I will try calling Honda care to see if they will honor a repair at no charge but being this is our 1st Honda I have noticed they are not very cordial to honoring warranty work witout remiding you you may have to pay more so then I have seen from any other car manufacturer we have owned previously. I am no kid so I h ave dealt with many dealers. That said I am looking for the TSB in the event I have to do the work myself but I can't seem to find the file on the web and have tried the alternate url to www.urvi.net and the associated TSB info. Would anyone be able to provide the TSB TSB #09-080 - Water in the Inner Taillights in the Tailgate?
    Applies To: 2008–09 Odyssey – ALL

Thanks in advance for any help....Seppi!!
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A09-080.PDF

Super Moderator
    Here is the TSB under the new link:
    http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A09-080.PDF
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 20–45 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

Thanks EE4Life I tried that link before but maybe I missed a . or something this worked and I'll see if I can make the fix!

Seppi

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast