2005 - Power window problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 - Power window problem

2005 - Power window problem

2005 LX model.

I can't open the driver's side rear passenger window. I hear a clicking noise from the rear window when attempting to open/close it. The other three windows function normally. There does not appear to be a TSB on this specific issue. I am interested in the opinions of members with experience with this problem.

My presumption is that the window motor is at fault. I read the thread "Power window problems. Anyone?" (originally posted 11-12-2008 by ‘pyvas’). However, there is absolutely no mention of a "bad motor" theory within the discussion. After several careful read-thru’s of the conversation, the consensus among those contributing seems to be that the failure is within the driver’s side window control panel (though there's no concensus among the contributors on the exact name of this suspect part).

- Pyvas reports repairing the failure by replacing the "control switch" (with one purchased used from eBay).
    - ‘2007SilverEx’ reported window failure of the "switch panel" with symptoms similar to pyvas, other posters, and my own. 2007SilverEx speculates the problem may be with the fuse box; however, this person did not update the thread with the results of their theories, or whether or not their problem was eventually fixed.
    - 'odysseyguy1' posts instructions for "manually resetting a power window control unit". However, this person does not mention if this procedure was in fact recommended as a solution to the specific problem discussed in the thread. (2007SilverEx attempted the reset procedure without success.)
    - ‘Kaesan’ recommends replacing the “power control”; however, this person does not mention if they also experienced window failure and its concurrent clicking symptom.

Three questions:
    1) Is the driver’s side window control panel the source of the problem with the driver's side rear passenger window failure? And, if so...

2) Where apart from eBay or a Honda dealership might one find this part? I do not see a list of member-vetted auto parts resellers within the OdyClub forums.

3) Finally, what is the exact name of this part?
    Last edited by lothian; 05-02-2010 at 09:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DrD
    If it won't actuate from either of the switches, then it could indeed be the motor - have you tried giving it power directly from the battery and seeing if it works?

For parts, I have been very happy with Bernardi (www.bernardihonda.com or you can go directly to their parts site at http://www.bernardiparts.com/searchoptions.aspx) - college hills is another dealership people seem to like (http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/) - that being said, unless you are buying a bunch of stuff or aren't in a hurry, the local dealership is going to be close in price once you factor in the cost of shipping.

Hi,

Sorry, I never went any further so there was nothing to report. I made a jumper out of 12 gauge wire and jumpered the solenoid and everything works normally (except for the window disable button). Too many other things to do to chase it further when it was functional.

I appreciate your follow-up, 2007SilverEx.

Your experience jumpering to the soleniod (or did you jumper to the relay? it is an imporant difference) seems like a very good troubleshooting step to determine if the fault is a bad motor or a problematic driver-side control panel. In your case, it seems the latter.

A couple questions for you:

1) What exactly did you bypass with the jumper--the driver-side control panel, the fuse-box, one or more other parts?

2) Can you describe where you jumpered the component from, where the solenoid is located, and how you got at it?

3) Finally, I presume you left the jumper wire in place; are you comfortable with that solution?
    Last edited by lothian; 05-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements