Rear wiper and Automatic Car Wash
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wiper and Automatic Car Wash

Rear wiper and Automatic Car Wash

Anyone else have trouble with automatic car wash ripping off your rear wiper. Three weeks ago I noticed the rear blade gone. Didn't think much of it so got another. This weekend blade gone again and the arm is also cracked. My wife went to car wash Saturday so I have to believe this is where they are going. I will see what they say tonight. Been going ti this wash for 10 years without incident on all my cars. Going to be an inconvience if I can't get the Odyssey washed there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Never a problem here. We use several different car washes, the favorite being one that actually has the cloth thingies (i.e. not touchless) and never lost a part.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

those carwash places with brushes or cloth thingies inside the

carwash is not good for your paint finish.

current:
    11 Odyssey Touring Elite Silver/Truffle 35k
    12 Kia Optima SX Silver/Black 11k
    07 CR-V EX-L NAV/AWD Silver/Black 65k
    12 CR-V EX-L NAV/AWD White Pearl/Beige 4k

previous:
    05 odyssey touring res&nav 122k
    -bought in 05 and sold on oct 28, 2010
    06 CR-V SE AWD Pewter Pearl/Black 72k
    -totaled

It happens to all cars with rear wipers. I guess except the new Sienna where they hide it underneath the spoiler, pretty good idea IMO. I was going to the same car wash for years without incident and within a month, the Odyssey wiper flew out one time inside the wash. No biggie, snapped it back in. Then on my SUV, the arm broke off.

For awhile, I was taking it off each time I go but bolting and unbolting it was a PITA. So now I just tape it myself. You may not have noticed but many car wash do tape it too. But instead of a single strip of 1/2" masking tape, I use three to four strips of 1" high quality (the blue one) masking tapes to make sure that thing is secured

Originally posted by richysh

Yeah but the cloth thingies actually get the car clean!
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

Talked with the kid at the car wash tonight. He said once and a while they will get a rear wiper damaged, but he said it's pretty rare. Both of my other vehicles have rear wipers as well and haven't had an incident in 10 years at this same place. Must be some bad luck to lose two in three weeks. Some guys I work with said they should be putting bags over them but I don't see how that would help. The kid at the carwash said what they think happens is when the long dangling hanging things slide down the back window they will flip the wiper out and the spinning brush that goes across the back then gets a hold of it. He said to call tomorrow morning and the owner would be in.

To make things a little worse, (this is not my wife's fault), when she lost the first blade it rained a day later so unknowingly she turned the back wiper on which left a nice scratch across the back glass.

Frustrating when this van is only two months old.

Dave.

My car wash has always been using these long narrow clear plastic bags on every vehicle with a rear wiper. They bag the blade and arm before the wash and remove it at the other side. Kind of like safe sex for your wiper. They claim its a simple way to prevent those cloth thingies from getting snagged on what is an easy snag target. With that, I have never had an issue.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

Before using the plastic bag my car wash used duct tape on the rear wiper. Never a problem.
    '08 EX-L

Originally posted by fred2008
    It happens to all cars with rear wipers. I guess except the new Sienna where they hide it underneath the spoiler, pretty good idea IMO.
    I notice that also when I had a new Lexus RX350 as a loaner...I was no way!...Looked really clean.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring
    RES - NAV v4.73 - Silver Pearl - 18" Acura MDX Sport Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/55R18 - Pax Free Since 12/2008 - Spare Tire Installed - 5000K Xtreme HID - MrGrille - K&N Drop In Air Filter - Putco Interior LED Lights & License Plate Lights (Xenon Depot) - Honda All Weather Mats and Rear Tray.
    2008 Acura TSX

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!! stop taking any of your vehicles through a auto carwash, all of those things are swirl and scratch inducers.

think of it this way all the dirt and grime from the car that was in there before you is just being reintroduced onto your car and then pulled and dragged across your paint, not to mention the soaps that are used in them are not good for your wax/sealant they usually strip what protection you might have had.
    08 Odyssey Touring Weathertech bug/stone guard and gray floor liners 1st/2nd rows
    05 Acura TSX ABP nonNavi / A-spec drop/ Aspec body kit/ Mugen grill / 18" Rays Ggames 77wolfs in silver / Progress RSB / Blue LED interior conversion / PIAA exterior bulbs

Why do you care? It's convenient and better than letting the car rust from the inside out. Maybe when I'm retired I'll hand wash my car from sheer boredom. I've personally not seen any problems with the paint after running through these washes. My MIL has a six year old dark blue Lexus that goes through the automatic at least once a week and the paint still looks better than our Ody ever did.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

Just trying to look out for follow ODY owners and people that love their cars. I remember the days of when people thought it was a great idea to wash your car with DAWN dishwashing soap(which again DONT DO! It will strip any protection you have on your car)

This is what happens when you have been bittin by the detailing bug. I am constantly just trying to help people make their paint last and their cars look as nice as when they drove them off the showroom floor. In todays world its not that hard to maintain a car with great products and not much time doing it.

but to each their own
    08 Odyssey Touring Weathertech bug/stone guard and gray floor liners 1st/2nd rows
    05 Acura TSX ABP nonNavi / A-spec drop/ Aspec body kit/ Mugen grill / 18" Rays Ggames 77wolfs in silver / Progress RSB / Blue LED interior conversion / PIAA exterior bulbs

At any given time there are between 3 and 5 cars at my home. Hand washing would be a full time job.
    05 Touring, Nighthawk Black / Black

Originally posted by richysh

Actually, as long as the carwash uses enough water and detergents for lubricity, automated car washes are just fine.

Super Moderator
    Delta Sonic, one of the busier chains around here, bags the rear wiper with a vinyl sleeve thingee. And then removes it before drying. Prior to this, they used a bit of duct tape to hold down the wiper.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements