Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Odyssey round two

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ScooterZ650 
#1 ·
I originally purchased a new 2005 LX Odyssey (no VCM) and drove it 117,000 miles with no major problems except replacing the drive axle under warranty. Love it! We used it like a pick-up truck to move our family. Cant believe we could get 4 people and 4 bicycles INSIDE including closing the door. Wow what a great vehicle. Took it on a 6,000 mile drive across the US with two of those legs 2,200 miles non-stop! Yes, my spouse and I switched back and forth driving with me taking the longer legs of our journey. Did it in just over 31 hours. This Odyssey is a workhorse indeed. Performed the 105,000 mile major maintenance, new tires, new waterpump, new brakes etc. planning to keep it for another 100,000 miles. Then some retired lady going to pickup her prescription drugs turned left in front of my spouse and BLAM . . . Odyssey RIP. Spouse had major break in her wrist with titanium plate and screws to put her back together again which we believed to be caused by the air bag deployment. But in the end, SHE WALKED AWAY and I'm grateful the Odyssey did it's job to protect her life.

Spouse was then subconsciously thinking that if she purchased another van that she would be in another accident so we purchased a small SUV. I'll tell that story later because it involves Toyota which used the same engine as the Sienna. For those of you who are considering the Sienna, I'll explain that story in another post. Anyway here we are 4 years later and we miss that great Odyssey.

So we traded-in the Toyota and purchased a 2016 Odyssey SE and love the ride compared to the competition. Unfortunately we're feeling the VCM effects and will find a solution for that. Hope to have as many great family trips in this vehicle as we did in the past and hopefully we can keep it 200,000-300,000 miles or at least that's the plan. Now let me get those bicycles prepared in the back of the Odyssey and get on the road.

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
Voyager92 - Yes, that 2005 LX was very reliable and easy to maintain. And yes, glad to be back in another Odyssey that should be safer than before. Probably should avoid those 2,200 mile runs non-stop as after that many hours of driving, nobody should be super alert. Dont you know during that 6,000 mile trip a few years back, we passed through Georgia. It was snowing on christmas eve and thought we would not make our destination but that Odyssey shrugged it off like it was nothing. No wheel spins, no sliding. It was as happy as could be. That journey was it's first snow experience so I was not sure what to expect since it's usually in 100F dry weather.

Anyway, see you on the open road. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.