Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Buy a new Honda odyssey now or wait later?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cebu 888 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Me and my family are new to this forum and are really interested in buying a new Honda Odyssey sooner later and we aren't really sure if waiting is better so ill tell you our story!

Im going to college this fall (yes I am a college student here on a minivan forum) and ill be a communter student since I live so close to my university (Cleveland State in Ohio), only about 20 minutes on the freeway so ill save about 5-6 grand by living at home vs campus.

Anyway, the car ill be using for now until we get a new van is a 2004 Honda CR-V. Its a base LX with no 4WD so its nothing fancy (no keyless entry either) but its got 93K on it and my family got in Feb. 04 new and its been a reliable 7.5 years with it with the exception of a small pwr. steering leak that was covered under ext. warranty (its got warranty till 100K)

The reason for our interest in a 11 Odyssey is because we have a 2000 Dodge Caravan base that just had a engine failure at 113K. The Timing belt broke while doing 50 on route 20 so it caused the pistons to hit the valves. That van was new also bought new and was probably the worst investment made.

So to replace the 00 Caravan, we will get a Odyssey but we don't if its better to wait till 2013 or 2014 when a refresh comes. We will be able to live without a van till then if we just rent when we go on long trips but its nice to have something that will fit 7-8 people on short trips. Our family has 8 people, which includes my widowed grandma.

Because we do have 2 other cars, an 09 Toyota Yaris and a 2010 Honda insight EX. So if we need to haul anything we can just use the CR-V if we decide to wait on the 30-35K purchase. I think you can also agree that the CR-V has at least 3 years of good life left.

We will either buy a EX or EX-L model w/NAV if we buy now and what really is keeping us from buying now is the 1st model year bugs (seeing lots of issues with low battery on this forum) and the dreaded 5 speed.

Its not really urgent that we need a van NOW but the sooner we get it, the better? Is the refresh 2-3 years from now going to make a better van? Or should we just go ahead right now and plunk down the 35 grand for a EX-L? What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm in similiar situation where I don't have to have one right away. Though it would make life a bit easier with babies.
I am currently shopping around. So far, not so good in terms of price.
1st year is always a gamble, but if it's such a good deal, I'll take it.
We are not in the best position right now due to shortage of inventory.
So for me, I'm waiting for the right climate to make the move.
Sounds like you have flexibility. The CRV will do another few hundred miles easily with proper care/maintenance.
Since you are going to college, I would keep the CRV as long as you can.
Any MMC will be the best choice, per Motor Trend mag.
Good Luck with school and "shag mobile".:DD

#3 ·
My opinion is this... if you are willing to wait 2-3 years, for a refresh, then you can wait forever and never buy anything. Let me explain... Every 2-3 years, there is always going to be either a Mid-model year refresh or a Major redesign. And in theory, each one of those will be a better vehicle than the one before (otherwise, it won't entice anyone to buy the new one). I understand holding off for one year to not get the first year redesign bugs, or holding off for a year to get to a mid refresh or a new model, but not 2-3. Just get it when you need it.

As for the Odyssey, get the 2012 model this fall. Based on the Odyssey's history, the mid-model refresh won't come till the 2014 model year... and of course when that comes out, it will have some additional features that will make it a little better... but are you willing to wait that long for that little upgrade?

Hope this kind of puts it into perspective. Even if you did wait to get the 2014 refresh, you'll be thinking that the major redesign is just 3 years away... and it will definitely be better also. So you can wait again. See my point?

#4 ·
The 08-10 5speed is okay as it is based on the Ridgeline tranny. 6speed on the '11Touring looks good on paper though. I would suggest buy 2012 or later on in that way all bugs will be sorted out then. I have 09 3rd Gen bought brandnew and still satisfied with it especially I have more headroom than the '11.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.