Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Fuel Tank capacity

35K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Porsche tech 
#1 ·
Hello,

On my last trip to gas station, I filled up the tank (2012 EXL) with 20.9 gallons being shown on the pump. I drove about 10 miles since the low fuel light have come on. Though it was city driving, I get around 400 miles for each tank, most in the city.

So my question is that since the tank can only hold 20.5 gallons, and there must be around a gallon or so left in the tank, how come the pump shows 20.9? Is this a trick by gas stations?

#2 ·
I am not sure what exactly you are asking. The Odyssey has a 21 G tank, check your owner manual. According to Consumer Reports, most of us are expected to get about 19 MPG in mixed driving so 19 x 21 = 399 miles. If you drive entirely in the city, the gas mileage can be as low as 12 MPG, so 12 x 21 = 252 miles.

#5 ·
Yes indeed, if you do mostly real city driving with lots of Stop signs and traffic lights to deal with. I think by now, looking at the numbers measured by Consumer Reports and the real world gas mileage, it is very clear that on the high way, we should get gas mileage in the high 20s. If your speed is higher than 65 MPH, carry a heavy load, or carry stuff on the top of the car, you gas mileage will be lower.

City driving is harder to predict because your city is very different from mine, and your driving habits can have a greater impacts on gas mileage. In densely populated cities, the gas mileage will be in the low teens, as we mostly drive at 30 -35 MPH from light to light and from stop sign to stop sign. If you live in a more wide open city, you may drive a lot longer without having to stop, which helps the gas mileage greatly. The Odyssey uses a lot of gas to get up and go so the more you do this, the lower the gas mileage. If you can drive steadily at a constant speed, even at 30 MPH, the Eco light is on all the time, which translates to better gas mileage.

#7 ·
The tank is about 21 gallons. I have found on my '12 EX that to get the tank completely full you have to park with the van leaning towards the gas pump. It's the same as with my 2nd gen (2006) CR-V. I just filled up yesterday with the ody reading 0 miles to empty and it took just over 21 gallons.

#10 ·
I once inadvertently ran the tank pretty low and was down to 0 miles to empty for the last few miles. The van took a whopping 21.6 gallons once i finally pulled up to refill. And this is on our 21 gallon tank. This tells me our tank takes more than 21 gallons.

#16 ·
Hyper-miling & fuel economy are as much states of mind as mechanical. For maximum fuel economy, YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN YOUR DRIVING!! You must think 1/2 mile ahead of the vehicle, be aware of speed & braking. Lights & traffic must be accounted for. The brake pedal is you enemy, and speed kills economy. Remember - if your stopped with the engine on, you're getting 0 mpg/kpl.

Yes body style, engine size, & drive train all play a part, but your thinking plays a great part too!!

On the last 2 road trips down Cal's central valleys, we got 26 at 75m/h. The mte gauge gave us over 400 miles range. Mostly around here I average about 18. 16 if I do more surface streets / stop-go. I don't try to maximize like a hyper-miler, but I'm concious of economy too

Reid

#22 ·
On a recent trip I allowed the fuel to get down to 35 miles to empty...low fuel indicator light never illuminated. It does not illuminate when the key is turned on (w/o starting the engine) either. When I refueled it took 19 gallons to fill meaning 2 gallons were remaining in the 21 gallon tank. Owner's manual (on pg 74) states that the light should come on when there are 3 gallons left. Does that mean mine doesn't work?--Dave

#23 ·
On a recent trip I allowed the fuel to get down to 35 miles to empty...low fuel indicator light never illuminated. It does not illuminate when the key is turned on (w/o starting the engine) either. Does that mean mine doesn't work?--Dave
All I can say is that mine turned on well before it says "E." I don't remember how much I refill but 3 gallons sounds about right.

Also to respond a post earlier regarding the number of condensers, I looked at my van very carefully now and do not see another puddle of water near the second row. I thus do not believe that there are two condensers in our Ody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.