Power steering leak, struts leak, shocks leak on 2011 Odyssey with 38K miles
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power steering leak, struts leak, shocks leak on 2011 Odyssey with 38K miles

Power steering leak, struts leak, shocks leak on 2011 Odyssey with 38K miles

I have a 2011 Odyssey with 38K miles. I am the first owner and the only driver and have taken very good care of the vehicle, all services, oil changes at the dealership. I took my car to the dealership last September for B1 service and was handed the following:

1. Front rotors need to be resurfaced due to pulsation - $139.95
    2. Left front strut assembly needs to be replaced due to leak in front struts - $560
    3. Rear passenger shock absorber leaking - $255
    4. power steering rack leaking and the rack needs to be replaced - $1718 (I checked with the dealer, they say rack is not covered in powertrain warranty)

Strange thing is I do not see any leaks on the floor and the car seems to function normally. Maybe I am not able to notice/observe correctly. Also, the power steering rack leak might be in the boots so is not visible.

I bought Honda as I thought the quality is top notch and there will be no need for major expenses, at least not so soon at 38K miles. Now I know there can be mechanical issues with any car but this list seems a bit too much. I spoke with the dealer but they did not offer any help. I read elsewhere in the forum that I should contact Honda. Just wanted to check in this forum if any of these items should be expected/reasonable for a 2011 Odyssey with 38K miles. I will take my car to an independent mechanic shop to get a second opinion. But got to say, I am very disappointed with this. Just due to good Honda quality perception, I did not buy Honda Care extended warranty. Kicking myself now. Please advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thapash View Post
    I did not buy Honda Care extended warranty. Kicking myself now. Please advise.
    You should escalate all of those items to Honda Corporate, and I'd be surprised if they don't do most of it for free due to the low mileage.
    I'm sure others who have been through it will give more detail, but I believe there is a TSB for the rotors (well known issue), and those other failures are unusual. It makes me think you might have happened into a crooked dealer. I'd be willing to bet they would say everything was acceptable if you were still under the 3yr/36.

In parallel, you might swing by a trusted mechanic to take a look. Sometimes you can have some minimal "seal seepage" from a strut or p/s rack that does not require any action.

While Honda (and some other brands) are generally known to be more reliable, have better workmanship, and therefore can be expected to have better long-term reliability, you will still run into some issues which are not foreseen, andas weve seen with just about any brandthe world economic woes will translate to corporate cutting corners and making things cheaper and have shorter life-spans.

That said, do as johndotcom says: get thee to a trusted mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Reliability does not account for dealers wanting to take advantage of the expiration of your 3yr/36k warranty. And sometimes, dealers are especially aggressive with recommended fixes. At the least, if the 2nd opinion agreed with the dealer, they can possibly do it for less.

Actually, the only item on your list which I would say might be plausible at 38K is the rotors; but I would have expected them to be at the back instead. And I would be surprised they would resurface the rotors without saying anything about your brake pads (maybe those were changed previously?).
    2011 HONDA ODYSSEY EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Gray as delivered: oem fog lights & body side moulding, after market remote starter | self-installed: oem roof rails, splash guards, a/s floor mats | replaced oem Continental ContiProContact w/ Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring @ 27,131 miles
    2002 BMW 525i
    Titanium Silver/Gray all weather & convenience packages
    1999 NISSAN ALTIMA SE
    Nighthawk Black/Gray stock (sold 4.10.2011 @ 85,824 miles)

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Here's the info for the rotors. Do not bother resurfacing the old ones. In-stead, replace with the upgraded design:
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attach...rake-rotor.jpg

Or alternatively, you might look at some powerstop slotted ones.... for about $40 less each at rockauto.com

Thanks jondotcom, I shall reach out to Honda Coporate to see what they have to say on this. Am taking the car this weekend to an independent mechanic to get 2nd opinion.

By the way, the brake pads have not been changed previously.

Called up Honda. They said "The vehicle is out of warranty and therefore you need to pick up the bill for repairs if any. These are machines and there can be defects". As simple as that! Was epxecting better than that.

Just like when the US companies move production to other countries. Honda and Toyota move to the US and start having more issues than they had since the 80's!
    Tell that dealer to shove it and find you a reputable Indy mechanic. Don't mention what Honda found until after he/she does their diagnoses. If they are thorough they will find what dealership found or tell you the dealership was trying to screw you.
    Last edited by tron3107; 03-25-2016 at 10:33 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread